Connecting to self

When I look at the peers that I am connected to I see my own ip address. This should not happen, I shouldn't connect to myself, so I think uTorrent should filter out own ip address when it is passed by the tracker. This happens in version 1.1.3

Some peers report their local IP to the tracker (192.168.xxx.xxx). That IP will get sent to the other peers, who will try to connect. I've seen the address 192.168.1.1 in the list, and of course, that is my router which will forward the traffic to the torrent computer.

Perhaps uTorrent could filter out LAN ips, but this might be included in the IP blocking feature the devs plan on including later.

I think this is perfectly normal, because your computer is also a peer when seeding, isn't it?
Sure, it can happen, but it shouldn't. You wouldn't connect to yourself if you're seeding anyway, since you wouldn't be downloading the files that you're seeding O.o

• 5 months later...

This can actually show up in firewall logs if your firewall does not allow inside addresses to access the external interface, as would be the case if you had IP spoofing filters turned on.

I'm seeing my v1.500 uTorrent client attempt to connect (SYN) to my external firewall interface (my public IP) about every 2-5 minutes. Firewall drops and logs the traffic. I don't know of a purpose for this connection, but if it is necessary for uTorrent to function correctly/efficiently, it needs to be documented so firewall rules can be adjusted.

Don

Well, there's also the fact that your external IP isn't really available to you most of the time, since most people are behind some kind of router.

UPnP can tell you the external IP, though some implemtations of it do it a little buggy (my router outputs 0.0.0.0 and the external IP).

Second, if uTorrent sends a handshake to itself on the external IP, it will receive it back with the router's addresses at the sender. uTorrent should know the IP of the router/gateway-device, so can't it recognize such a handshake? With some logic it seems theoretically possible. In practice and terms of coding is something else, but should be doable.

Archived