utorrent 1.3 banned from several torrentsites???

roy

You might be able to hex edit it to make it say BitComet or something, but that would be a bit hard.

I believe you would be talking about using a proxy, not hex editing, but hey, it's still not a good idea. If such a feature were implemented in µT it would result in it getting banned from some sites, and with good reason IMO.

The second site mentioned, as someone else mentioned, is saying that an old beta of µT is banned (1.2.x IIRC). 1.3 is OK. Anyone want to tell me what the first site mentioned says? You appear to need an account to see the warning?

Well they obviously did something wrong in the first place to have been banned. If the new version fixes past abuses, then they can just alert the tracker administrators. As has been seen several times already, µTorrent was banned, and when new versions were released, administrators were willing to test again, and subsequently, unbanned the client.

Ultima: As has been seen several times already, tracker administrators are often irrational and ban clients for no good reason. Peer ID faking would be a way of getting around this but I would instead suggest first listening to the admins - and confirming that they are wrong - then letting them know and (a) leaving the site or (B) fake peer ID through other means. This doesn't have to be implemented by the client directly you know, and implementing it only gives the client a bad name.

?

Read my post again =P

Edit: splintax, just in case you didn't understand what I was trying to say... I was arguing against the addition of such a feature in µTorrent... I said so myself (as you pointed out as well) that one could try contacting the administrator of the tracker that banned (hypothetically) µTorrent.

• 2 weeks later...
why go back to Az when you can just use the official v1.3?

Because the official v1.3 has a few problems concerning Partial Downloads (forced me to go back to BitComet)? The beta solves the problem as far as I can see, though.

I keep Azureus and BitComet around myself for contingencies involving weak torrents. Both of them seem to do somewhat better on weak torrents. Sometimes, I copy down the IP numbers that BitComet/Azureus manages to get and punch them in manually, one by one, in uTorrent.

Archived