Private torrent with timeouts? You lose your stats.

garreh

Hi All

When starting up uTorrent, the upload and downloaded amount which uTorrent reports to the annouce URL is reset to 0. I am having trouble with connecting to private trackers sometimes, which timeout after the first time it has been connected to the tracker. Upon restarting uTorrent it connects fine, but of course, the amount uploaded and downloaded are reset and this amount is reported to the tracker.

I have uploaded nearly a Gigs worth in the previous session, and this is not being updated on my stats on the private tracker. Even now, if it was reported, it would look like I've "cheated" the tracker by jumping up to 1GB in a second when really the problem was that I couldnt report my latest status because the tracker kept timing out. I would be banned from the site for "cheating."

Is it possible for uTorrent store the downloaded and uploaded amount until it has reported it to the tracker at least once, just so things like this don't happen?

> It is not uTorrent's fault for tracker connection instability.

Well, I'm not so sure because I can't explain why uTorrent connects to the tracker fine the first time it is started, then every single other time it times out.

>Keep µTorrent open and running. As long you don't exit, when the private trackers comes back online, your stats will be reported to the tracker.

The tracker never comes back online. In fact, it IS online, just doesn't connect in uTorrent. What choice do I have? Restart uTorrent and lose all stats. Not really a nice solution.

Well, I'm not so sure because I can't explain why uTorrent connects to the tracker fine the first time it is started, then every single other time it times out.

Because there is a VERY high possibility that you're using overaggressive connection settings compared to your connection's capabilities.

Troubleshoot WHY your connection is having problems.

Is it possible for uTorrent store the downloaded and uploaded amount until it has reported it to the tracker at least once, just so things like this don't happen?
Even now, if it was reported, it would look like I've "cheated" the tracker by jumping up to 1GB in a second when really the problem was that I couldnt report my latest status because the tracker kept timing out.

These two statements contradict. You're saying that µTorrent should store the amount upload/downloaded, yet, if that were to happen, then there *would* in fact be a jump anyhow.

Storing the queued amount would only make it that much easier for cheaters to cheat. All they'd have to do is edit resume.dat or something every time they restart µTorrent, and they could simply say "oh, I was having tracker problems, so µTorrent queued the total amount up."

• 8 months later...

garreh said: "Well, I'm not so sure because I can't explain why uTorrent connects to the tracker fine the first time it is started, then every single other time it times out."

The problem's likely on your end. Troubleshooting it (1st and 2nd links in my signature) should solve it.

@zasos: Wrong, it isn't possible. Downloaded/uploaded amounts since the last tracker announce are not stored between µTorrent sessions, so you couldn't possibly edit any data file to cheat. If you thought that editing the downloaded/uploaded keys in resume.dat for the torrent actually changes what is sent to the tracker when µTorrent restarts, guess again.

Archived