Interval and Min Interval

FriendlyGuy

I hope this hasn't been answered before, because all I can find is either too many posts to sift through or nothing relevant.

If a tracker doesn't specify a Min Interval, does µTorrent 1.8 default to 30 seconds (which is what I see for torrents I haven't started yet), or does it use the same value as Interval?

What happens in case of a tracker error? Is the manual update still restricted by the Min Interval, or some other setting?

I think it does default to 30 second. As for tracker errors, I'm watching two different error'd trackers now, the interval is increasing after each error, but the min interval remains the same. I can't use update tracker on it though.. might be a bug, that doubles the interval internally, I need to keep watching this :/

Updating trackers is after 60 seconds or the min interval. In cases where min interval and interval are equal or interval is less than min interval you will never be able to manually update. If you want to, you will have to STOP, then start the torrent.

In cases where you want the announce to go through you shouldn't do it while the tracker is in an error state.

Errors mean you don't update as often... you'll notice Interval increases linearly in those cases. So at best you try every minute... worst you stop other (unimportant) downloads that you don't desperately need the announce to go through for. Then update the tracker again and stop the torrent. If you have persistent tracker errors you should find out if they're at your end or not. If they're at your end, fix the problems :P Manually updating more often won't fix it for you.

We're simply taking a good idea from Azureus. THey also enforce a 60 second (or maybe 30) minimum for update tracker to avoid people hammering it over and over and over.

When a tracker update fails, the automatic timer for the next update may be less than the manual update timer, and it will still announce when you stop regardless of when you last used it.

I agree that a 60-second minimum is a good idea, and I find it perfectly acceptable. It's something else that bothers me. Let me ask with an example: one particular tracker sets both Interval and Min Interval to 2 hours. If the tracker update were to fail, would I still have to wait to 2 hours? That's what I'm worried about, because that would be absurd. I need to be sure the tracker works before stopping the torrent.

Archived