Dial Up Mode

SolidWolf

I'm sure there's still plenty of people on dial up, including myself.

Some because they cant afford it, others cause is not available to them.

But that doesn't matter.

What matter is that after 1.3.1-beta (build 383) or 1.3.1-beta (build 384) they implemented an artificial cap if your upload is too low.

Oviously to prevent lechers, but here is where the "Dial Up Mode" comes in..

Here's what I'm thinking..

A bubble selection box, simple On and Off under Network Options.

"On" will gray out Bandwidth Limiting and hardcoding a new cap at

something like 6kb down, 1-2kb up. Thus preventing low upload cap lechers.

6kb might be near impossible to reach thru 56k but would fit nice as a safe cap.

"Off" would work how is now.

There are other methods and programs to cap your upload, but I would really prefer if it was done thru uTorrent without problems.

Or… Forget the whole Dial Up mode, and change the artificial cap to fit better with Dial Up.

Right now 1kb upload caps d/l speed to 2kb. :/

If 5kb/s limits me in any way, uTorrent is not for me, 15 is no way more reasonable :-(

I never really was a leecher, and found uTorrent "Alternate upload rate when not downloading" very usefull. If i set more than 5kbytes/sec while downloading (and hence also using some additional upload for overhead), the remote access using VNC slows down to crawl on my 1.5mbps/128kbps connection.

The bottom line is - those limits make uTorrent totally crippled for me. Seems that i`ll have to go back to azureus :-(

i can use 6..7

what is the cap if i do ?

About qos, the only way i've seen it working ok was when using a linux box to do that, and i just dont really want another box running just for that purpose.

and btw imho cfosspeed is a total crap.

6 and upwards is unlimited

And you think so? cFosSpeed has worked well for me for a few months, I've been seeding uncapped on it for weeks on end without my internet getting slow. Run various P2P programs with acceptable speeds at the same time, too.

If you use cFosSpeed, do you have to uncheck the "use more upload slots" checkbox if upload speeds are less than 90% of max?

I'd think it'd almost be neccessary because with the external program dictating max speeds, µTorrent might think there's "free" upload bandwidth when there isn't.

If 6 and upward is unlimited, i`ll just set it to 6 :-)

BTW, it would be nice to to post the capping rules somewhere in the FAQ.

About cFosSpeed, it would never finish the "autoconfiguration" or whatever the name was (the last time i tried was a really long time ago). Also, either i am too bad at navigating a crappy skinned interface , or it was just impossible to manually configure.

Anyway, Firon, 10x for info.

PS: all this became an offtopic thread, i'd either move all the post starting from my one to chat or just erase those.

ludde's removing the cap. :P

And the configuration was quite simple, you run a download for 5 seconds, then run an upload for 30 or more, and you're basically done... then you can right click on it and manually add programs, but most (including µT) of the major apps are already covered :P

...ludde's removing the cap..

Actually, if not this post, i wouldnt even know about that cap, since i am just seeding right now, and i am probably not going to download anything till the weekend :)

About cFosSpeed, the last time i tried was about the time they first appear, so may be they did some major improvments, i dont know anything about their latest release.

Though I still feel µTorrent should set a very hard cap of 1 kB/s per upload slot (this is reasonable IMO)...and override the user-specified settings if some asshole wants to put 20 slots on his 10 kB/s upload (which would equate to 0.5 kB/s upload per slot). :mad:

56 kilobits per second = 7 KB/s

48 kilobits per second = 6 KB/s

Since 48kbps is a typical connection speed (not many people get > 50kbps, and those that do can usually get broadband of some kind), I'd say that is pretty rare tumu, especially considering protocol overheads.

edit: as for removing the cap, good on you I say. It was innovative, sure, but it was a bit too far outside the square for my liking..

Did ludde change his mind about removing the cap?

build 391 still has the cap and no change in upload cap / dl rate ratio.

I dont mean to spam or get annoying, but two betas ago he was gonna "remove the cap", but now more stuff are built upon it. like this.

"- Change: Show a message in the status bar if download is limited due to small upload"

Doesnt sound like is gonna get removed. atleast change the upload / download speed rate. :/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived