Getting lots of failed hash check

Ghost21

I'm downloading an 8.5GB torrent and getting lots of hash fails, sometimes up to 10 fails on a particular piece. Checked my disk for errors/bad sectors, still getting the failed hashes.

So I tried firing up Azureus and after a few failed hashes it blocked around 10 IPs. There were no more failed hashes after that.

My question is, does µTorrent blocks an IP after repeated hash fails or not? Coz it works fine with Azureus. Or maybe it's the way it handles files? Btw, both cache are set to 4MB. It happens only on this particular torrent. Other torrents are fine.

PS: Another thing, when a piece failed a hash check, is it downloaded again? Like a 4MB piece failing a hash check, is the whole piece redownloaded? Or only parts of the 4MB?

Just looked in my logger and saw ealier today the same piece failed hash check 6 times in under an hour the general tab shows wasted 126.8 megs, 19 hash fails in total for this torrent.

Bittornado seemed to have a 2 levels system, where first they get banned and eventually kicked.

I think it would be a good idea to have the logger keep a record of banned Peers, we would then have more confidence that uTorrent was dealing with the problem. Would this be worth asking for in feature requests?

For this one torrent, I'll just estimate and say that you had... 15 hash errors on it. If that's the case, and it was spread among 10 IPs, then they most likely won't be banned, until they each give you 5 hash fails. Maybe Azureus is stricter about hash fails...

It already has been, it bans the peers for one hour and will not connect/accept connections for that long.

The changelog for 395 reads "Change: Don't reconnect to banned peers after 1 hour." I read this to mean that, banned peers are not reconnected after an hour (perhaps, as previously), is this wrong? It seems quite specific.

I have a particularly long blocklist created by a friend who maintains BearShare's hostile list. I looked through it to see if any of these entries matched any of the blocklist's entries.

None found...but

Even though I found no exact matches, I found a few that were close to very close.

For instance, you had trouble with this ip: 209.240.118.130

And in the blocklist, I found these blocked:

Notice only the last number differs? There's a chance these ips are really the same computer that just gets a different ip from time to time.

Another example for this ip: 217.164.78.194

Is these blocked ips:

Archived