Remaining Harddrive Space

Phazor

Hi there,

First a few words about my experiences with the program:

I have dedicated an old IBM Desktop-PC only to torrent purposes (P4 1.8GHz / 512MB PC133 RAM) and i used to be a 'hardcore' BitComet user.

But when i discovered how much, MUCH easier µTorrent runs on that system i knew its time for an immediate change.

The difference is absolutely STUNNING to say the least, it often took MINUTES for BC to restart the torrents after a reboot (probably due to the rather slow PC133 RAM) while µT starts them absolutely INSTANTLY and doesnt fiddle around in the background for half an eternity before something goes. Im really glad that i finally tried µT out!

Also, the difference of CPU usage is simply amazing. While BC used to use up to full 100% at times (50%-60% average) µT works perfecty fine with a CPU usage of only 5% (in words FIVE PERCENT) maximum!! Thats what i call a difference.....

The least i can do is to say THANK YOU for this great application, i always thought BitComet is the best there was, there is, and there ever will be, but obviously i was wrong all the time. IMO µT 1.4 beats BC with absolute ease, most of all when it comes to ressource usage.

Now to the request:

Actually µT has everything that i learned to appreciate from BC, except one thing, which is very important to me.

It seems like there is no existing thread regarding this feature since 'Remaining Harddrive Space' brought no results, so here goes.

The feature id like to request is a feature similar to BC which shows how much space there is left on the harddrive at which the current path in the 'Save To' window points to.

Example:

Lets say i open a torrent, and the 'Save To' window opens, and the path currently points to anywhere at say F:\, then the remaining space of F:\ will be shown in the 'Save To' window, telling me whether the torrent im about to download will fit on that partition or not.

Now when i change the F in front of the path to say E then the remaining space of E:\ will be shown instead, and so on.

This is quite important (to me) because that way i can see at the first glance whether there is enough space on a particular partition for the torrent that im about to download, or if i have to download it to another partition instead.

To see how this feature exactly works just check BC for reference. (If youre in doubt.)

O.K., thats about it, all thats left to say is that i really hope that this feature will find its way into this great application sooner or later as it definitely makes things a lot easier.

Thanks in advance, and let me say THANK YOU once more for this great application which is really perfect to be used on not-so-powerful machines like my dedicated one.

Greets,

Phazor

I think this idea has been up before, and shot down aswell, since a quick right click on your harddrive will perform the same task.

Thats of course right, but annoying as well, since you have to minimize µT first to get it out of the way, then rightclick each partition to see how much remaining space there is, etc., and thats why a simple line which shows the remaining space in the 'Save To' window, depending on the drive letter in the path, is just much more comfortable as you can stay within µT instead of clicking it out of the way and checking through all your partitions manually to see if and where a download fits.

(Granted, this feature might not be so important for those with only one or two partitions where the remaining size is more or less known, but me for one, i have 8 (EIGHT) partitions total and thats why simply changing the drive letter in the path to see the remaining space on a partition is just much less action to decide where to download to, if you know what i mean.:))

I've probably have mentioned this before since I have heard this request before... I'm sure those of you who believe it's useful would find it useful. However...

All downloaders ought to be aware of how much space is left on their HD, no matter how many partitions you have. The amount of free space is something you have to maintain yourself, not uTorrent. The fact that you download a certain amount per day or per period ought to give you the idea to check first on how much space you have prior to starting up your torrent for download. If you cannot do preliminary checks on free space, then it's your own fault when you run out of space.

I don't mind having such a feature implemented... but do take into account that... Stardock's DesktopX can tell you your HD's free space, so can Samurize and CoolMon. There are so many programs that can tell you these things that... what's the need for uTorrent to have it?

I know, i have Sysmetrix which shows me the space and everything, but like i said, you have to minimize the µT window to get it out of the way, etc., which means messing around here and there (and in my case even via RemoteDesktop to the DL machine) so why not having a single line which shows the remaining space right in the 'Save To' window in the 1st place?

Of course there are a lot of other ways to see the remaining disk space, but once you are used to see it right in the 'Save To' window you just miss it when its suddenly gone...or in other words, its a simply a matter of being used to a (doubtlessly) very convenient feature.

Anyway, i proposed it and i guess i just leave it at that, in any case it would make the program just better and even more convenient to use...

Given that you're going to click on a torrent link to start the download, would it be too much to determine if you have the space necessary to download the files? I've used so many BT clients over the time that I'm used to viewing my free space to ensure that I'll be able to finish the download. Sure enough, those times I even forget so it gets interrupted. Still, the fault is mine for not noticing it. If you have uTorrent maxed on window size, then that'd be your preference. And having to view the desktop content to view any widgets or whatnot is as easy as hitting Winkey+M to minimize all the windows.

I personally believe in self maintenance... in such that you are personally responsible in how you download and manage your HD space.

• 4 weeks later...

this is a great feature request and all the counter arguments presented are completely bogus... sure you can check your available free space in other manners and plenty of them even (with default features in windoze or with a miriad of 3rd party appz). just the same as you can manually start/stop torrents (loose the scheduler then), manually import torrents (loose rss functions) and so on... the point is not if you already can or can not do something in other ways, but what's the most practical way to do it. and what phazor proposed is definitely the most practical way of getting your free space info, because believe it or not that's not a static information, but a very dynamic one and unless your idea of fun is to constantly check the hdd free space, you don't know exactly how much of it you have on various (potentially numerous) partitions (at all times). i also believe in self maintenance but there's a limit to it - time: in that i'm not willing to spend more time on manteinance than on using the computer for what i actually need it. consider the following scenario and tell me how practical is it to always manually check the free space before starting a dl: you have some appz running that output stuff on the hdd (video encoders, other p2p appz, whatever...) thus obviously continually changing the amount of available free space. you add several torrents for download in a short time (adding 10+ in one session is not uncommon at all), some of them in selective dl mode... now do i have to go and manually check my available free space before starting each new torrent, should i be counting & adding all of this in my head, or is it HIGHLY more practical, A LOT faster and SUBSTANTIALLY more reliable to get the available free space (of the selected partition) info on the "add new torrent" window (getting the correct info at the exact time i need it and where i need it)? there's only one correct answer to this question ;).

i realise that not everyone needs such a feature, but then again hardly any feature is used by everybody, so that's really no argument against it. the fact is this is a good feature, doesn't cost anything in terms of "bloat increase" and based on my admiteddly very limited coding experience should take no more than 10 minutes to implement. i'm sure me & phazor are not the only ones that would be very happy with this implemented.

Thanks for your support, mikro,...your scenario there has hit the nail 100% on the head! This is exactly why would rather see how much of remaining space there is on a partition at the very moment when im adding another torrent. I have just added another HDD of 250GB and have 12 (in words TWELVE) partitions total now, and it is sheer *impossible* to monitor the remaining space for all 12 partitions when its steadily changing since there is always the chance that any download has preallocated another large part of a multipart file or that a single file download got started in the meantime and has preallocated the entire file, etc., etc., etc.. So you always have to check *manually* through all the partitions each time you add a new torrent since (without this feature) this is the only way there is to find out where the next download would fit best or whether it would still fit on a partition at all.

I cant deny that this is something that nags me big time, but however, im using µTorrent anyway, because its a great prog and most of all a fair client. But it was really great if such things would be implemented since it will only make a good client even better, (those who dont need it arent forced to use it), and it will also make sure that some people wont change back to other clients like BitComet again just because they are missing a feature which is very important to them. IMO there should be no reasons for anyone to use another client than µT, and a missing basic-feature like this should IMO be the very last reason at all. I mean if µT had everything that say BC has, why would anyone want to use BC in the 1st place when everyone knows that µT is the far better client in general anyway? IMO all BC features should be implemented alone to give noone a reason to keep on using BC. Once on par with BCs features µT would quickly rule the world of BT clients. (After Azureus, probably, but at least on a rockstable 2nd place.)

Thanks,

Phazor

• 1 month later...

ludde doesn't add anything he doesn't want anyway.

I like the idea, but I can't see where it could fit in. µT uses all standard Win32 API functions for pretty much everything, so having it in the "save in" dialog would be a bit weird, and require a lot of screwing around from what I can see.

You could keep it in the bottom-right of the window, but that too would be difficult...

Anyone want to give me a screenshot of how BC does it?

I support this feature request too. After having switched from BitComet to uTorrent it was the first and foremost feature I am missing. The people posted before are completely right saying there are alternative ways of finding out how much space one has left, but surely software excists to make our lives easier? As a laptop user (40GB HD, cry with me here :P) I would extremely appreciate this feature.

splintax, screenshot of BitComet: http://jmulder.mm2c.com/misc/bc_remaining_disk_space.png

Thanks for the screenshot. Well, I would have no problem with such a dialog in µT. A graph or something else that fucks with the standard GUI would annoy me (which is what seemed to be suggested earlier).

And yeah, saying that you can "vote for the feature" and providing a link just to vote yes is downright dishonest.

edit: Not to mention the fact that votes seem to do nothing to influence ludde. :P

shouldnt be difficult to implement and very useful, good feature in my oppinion :)
vote NO for this feature:

What's your problem? Of course I'll put the link to vote FOR this feature in a thread that is a request FOR this feature (like you seemed to be too btw). And I also said "you can now vote for this feature", not about it, or regarding it, or anything ambigous like that which could make people believe that clicking on the link does not already constitute a yes vote. If people are willing to go out of their way to vote against a good feature just because they personally might not need it (you may need/use this feature or not, but it's still a good one regardless, unlike some others that would actually force a deterioration of the app in some aspect) they obviously have a problem and the least they can do is go find the NO link. Because if one doesn't need a feature he simply doesn't vote for it, while a no vote should only be used for features deemed bad (adding bloat, breaking something, not following protocols...)

nefarious... what part of "for" as opposed to "against" don't you understand? you either vote FOR a feature, or AGAINST it... and I clearly said you can vote FOR it at the provided link. Should I have also provided a license agreement sort of disclaimer alongside the link and maybe even a series of pages asking the potential "clicker" whether or not he understands what he's about to do and what consequences him doing it will have and of course if he's really really sure about it?! Get real ffs.

Archived