Shutdown comp wehn d/l is finished.

winMX_67

Think of what you could have seeded by leaving it over the weekend ;]

But yeah, I understand the general idea. My enviroment is almost automated (on windows booting into the account, internet is dialed automatically, uTorrent loads on startup and keeps on downloading\seeding). I rarely shutdown my comp, definitly wont need it automattically, but if you tend to go away from your computer for long periods (few days) i guess it might help you.

I think something like when all tasks reached the 'Finished' state would be better.

Much better. That way all people complaining about ratios etc. would be happy :P And this was suggested in the third post, but I guess nobody took notice..

you are paying a set value for your connection, you should put it to work!

No, not for everyone. A lot of people here in Australia (and in UK too, I think) have to pay if they run over a set download limit. Some users even get their uploads counted too (eg. users on Telstra internet connections, which is the only choice for some..) so they probably don't want to leave their connections seeding all night. Having said that, a power-off function wouldn't be that helpful..

huh... like it would take too much system resources that it _needs_ to be closed after downloads are ready... or you guys being lazy again?

That's true, if you just set uploading to stop at a certain ratio, it's not like µT will bother any other tasks you have running :P

A normal PC consumes more than 60 watts. (The new GPU from ATI consumes more than 150 watts all by itself).

True, but 150W is at load.. I'd say your average computer with monitor off, only using ethernet for transfer and CPU only slightly at load (thanks to µT's efficiency) would be more like 80W.. depending on a number of factors, of course.. and just my estimate. Having said that, if you're paying 9c per kilowatt-hour, that still adds up...

• 4 weeks later...

I think that a feature to shutdown the computer after a share ratio of 1:1 is reached is a good one to put in place in a future update.

Can't a torrent be ended after reaching a share ratio of 1:1? If only one torrent is working at the time, why not let the computer shutdown?

I believe that since I downloaded a complete file my obligation is to seed until that file is shared 1:1. Sort of like the saying "an eye for an eye"

If this is not valid please explain it to me.

Thank you for any help that may come from this ccomment.

• 1 month later...

I just made this suggestion, but started a new thread, little dumb me (I did search, but maybe I used the wrong keys... "shut down" instead of "shutdown" :" >). So will this feature be implemented, after all? (please, don't shoot if this was already answered, i haven't read all the threads on this matter yet...) I, for one, could really use it, as I already mentioned, but not for leeching purposes!

Here's a simple solution :rolleyes:

On the torrent properties there's a line for what to do when the torrent completes.

Windows also has a shutdown command.

Put the two together. Put "shutdown -s -t 0" in there if you want the computer to shut down.

Don't know about a disconnect or quit, though i'm sure there are command line programs you can combine with this "run command" option. I'm amazed nobody's thought of this (at least in this thread) yet.

As far as power load is concerned, my server + desktop + 2 monitors + speakers + other misc. idle plugged-in things currently are using 341 watts. Turn off the monitors (2 15" CRTs), goes down to 221 watts. When my desktop is shut down, the server by itself (plus everything else plugged in but turned off) is about 120 watts. I still need to figure out what part of that computer is eating the power, but I don't want to kill its almost-3-weeks of uptime :D

(Probably the Radeon 9200SE video card, can you say *overkill*?)

I think that shutdown feature can be useful ONLY in some singular circumstances, for example you are finishing to download a file (30 minutes remaining), it has a good speed, and you want to go to bed (you sleep in the same room that you have the computer, that's my case!). And it's true when you need this feature you really need it!.

Regarding unfair uses of this feature I don't think that leechers prefer to shutdown their computers each time they finish with a download, I suposse that currently they simply close uTorrent clients and/or delete torrents. Usually you are doing other things with the computer, eMule, browsing, chating, etc, it's a foolish set a shutdown when you need to continue working during the day. If you don't want to continue sharing then the most of you simply close uTorrent don't shutdown your computers!

So, a good idea should be implement a per file shutdown, that you can set through a right click menu option like 'Shutdown when finish' if you set it only over a single file that's it... uTorrent will shutdown when this file get finished, if you set it over multiples files then uTorrent will shutdown only when all the set files get finished.

Hope it helps.

• 2 years later...

Hi this is my first post.

The post before mine tells you how to shutdown utorrent briefly but here is and expanded version.

Just letting you know there might be a way to shutdown u torrent after you have downloaded.

Right-click on your torrent, click properties > advanced and it has and option to run a program when the torrent has finished.

In the "Run this program when torrent finishes:" field type this location "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe" without quotations.

This will only work on windows and this is assuming the C drive on your computer is where your windows folder is stored.

If you cannot locate this directory search for shutdown.exe with windows search function. Make sure you search in system folders.

I haven't actually tested this yet but my torrent is downloading now so I'll let you know soon (after I wake up).

Archived