Torrent file icon

Right now the torrent icon is the same as the app icon, which i dont care for and it kind of looks goofy next to a bunch of other normally shaped files. I took the liberty of drawing up an icon real quick. Idk how to go about changing the icons myself, but hopefully the dev's will be able to change the default icon. Anyway, heres what i drew up, if someone knows how to change a files icon throughout the system let me know:

ut.png

Thats just a png, if you need an icns you can use img2icns (just google it, its free).

Thanks for reading!

hmm...i think as long as the icon is of an application residing on your HDD, it applies to all files. So i am assuming if you throw the png,jpeg,or any other image file into some system folder (i dont know which one), it should apply to all files. Heres an example. I have a torrent file on the desktop, and one im dling from firefox. I just applied the utorrent app icon to all .torrent files.

picture2ma5.png

picture1bt5.png

Im glad you guys like the icon!

I tried tweaking stuff to make the icon work, but i couldnt figure it out. Transmission's filetype icon is Transmission.app/Contents/Recources/TransmissionDocument.icns

Also, in the info.plist of transmission there is a section that reads:

<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>

<string>TransmissionDocument</string>

So i took my icon (converted to icns of course), dropped it in the Resources folder as utorrendocument.icns and added this to the utorrent info.plist:

<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>

<string>utorrentdocument</string>

Then i deleted the iconcache file and rebooted.

Unfortunately, nothing happened. We just might have to wait for the devs to do it for us.

uTorrent is now totally multiplatform and thus, imho, there is no need in making its icon look unique for each platform. That 'mju' letter is a brand itself and it's now completely OS regardless. So, I agree with mistywillows and Calcadium - the icon should be just like the NoSmokingBandit drew it - clear and simple. :)

• 3 weeks later...

NoSmokingBandit's guide is correct, just missing the last step. After adding the icon to Contents/Resources and editing Info.plist, you need to "touch /Applications/uTorrent.app/" in the terminal, that'll make OS X check Info.plist for any changes.

I didn't mess with the iconcache (cos I know nothing about it, OS X newbie here) so any torrent files I already had retained the Transmission icon but newly downloaded torrents used the new uTorrent icon :)

NoSmokingBandit did have one unnecessary step though. Info.plist already has an entry under Document types>BitTorrent Document for "Icon File Name" which is currently "AppIcon". Just change that to the name (without extension) of the icns file you put in resources.

• 5 weeks later...

I may be speaking only for myself, but with kudos for the nice torrent file icon design, I don't really worry about the torrent file icon. My application is in my Apps folder and my torrent files go into my Downloads folder -- so there's little chance for me to mistake one for the other. In fact, none.

• 3 months later...

I've not used uTorrent in a while so i handt noticed that they changed the torrent file icon.

Imo, the icon they went with looks like crap. The logo on the icon is much too large and the "TORRENT" at the bottom is too large and way too wide if you compare it to other OSX file icons.

I dont care that they didnt use my icon, but they could have done something better then what they chose...

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread & that this is completely off topic but I have to ask: SomeHelp, where can I get that beautiful background picture?

NoSmokingBandit: I completely agree. The text is far too wide and in general the app still looks awful. The Mac developers have made it quite clear that nobody matters but them, and that they do not care about losing ground to other, better, and more attractive alternatives like Transmission.

The mods do a great job here, but as they often note, they are not the developers. We are grateful for the feedback in the forums and are using it to inform our development. We are actively working to add functionality and refresh the UI. Stay tuned.

Archived