1.41 Build 406: High cpu usage with the read cache

Ulayo

lool as a matter of fact i tried turning off the read cache (uploading at almost 1 mb/s) and the hard disk light flashed like a 10 times a second :) setting it to 8192 reduced the flashing to a couple of times per 2-3 seconds..

the cpu usage stays 00 all the time.. it depends on the processor ofc.. but why should it go to 70%.. the hard disk should be overloaded not the processor..

what is ur upload speed? ur processor?

Well, most people don't have add-on IDE controllers (including me). And it's not like high harddrive usage would cause a lot of cpu usage anyways (it never has for me). My cpu is an Athlon XP 3200+, so that really shouldn't be a problem...

I was uploading around 2.5MB/s or so, but I don't know if that would make any difference?

How much RAM do you have?...Installed and avail after boot and local apps loaded! May be swapping which is worse overhead than torrent disk I/O. And its dble trble if you swap file is on same physical drive as torrent.

Also, some drives/controllers have a write cache setting (enabled/disabled). Is this your case?

Can also see anti-virus grab CPU as torrent writes to disk and it scans. Especially at that speed. Whats A/V?

Whats the MB?

I have 1.5gb ram and have r/w cache @ 64/32mg and see maxes 0-3/4 sding and 0-6/7 both d/s (cranking!!) for CPU util. The most I see is a millisec pause (@ peak 1m+ d & 200kb+ u)) when cache writes and a/v scans while gaming.

I have 1GB pc3200 cas 2 ram tested and working fine. About 500MB free right now (without cache on).

Write cache is on for all drives. And I'm using the latest nvidia nforce drivers for my nforce2 ultra 400 motherboard.

Checked for viruses recently too.

But I don't see how these things would make the cpu usage go crazy since it is perfectly normal without the read cache...

I could also mention that I had no problems with the read cache in Azureus, but I suppose it works quite differently than µTorrents.

Setting the read cache to 32768 takes the CPU usage to levels between 10 and 15%. Process Explorer seems to report nothing strange, but as I'm not at all knowing when it comes to that, I can't really say.

Of course, 70% is far worse than this, yet I don't believe 15% to be an acceptable amount either.

I've tried Process Explorer. And I've been experimenting a little. It seems that the lower I set the read cache the more cpu usage I get from µTorrent, especially at higher transfer rates. There's a big difference between 16MB and 32MB for example. There might be a small increase in DPCs, but it's marginal.

@Ulayo >

But I don't see how these things would make the cpu usage go crazy since it is perfectly normal without the read cache...

Was just looking for that "perfect" mix of apps and settings that might trigger it.

Checked for viruses recently too.

Was more looking at av slowing down write process.

Archived