Disk Overload

jlaw84

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Please guys I need your help. Firstly, I have quite a good Broadband connection for the UK. It's 8Mb/s max down and 0.5mb/s max up. There are 4 people that really use our LAN and I tend to set a download limit of 256KB/s and 16KB/s upload limit, while downloading. My PC's a Compaq Presario SR1180UK which is very decent as far as I'm concerned and the hard disk is not heavily fragmented at all.

However just recently I'm getting the same message "Disk Overload" which goes to 100% very quickly. It only seems to happen though with this particular download which is in .ISO format. Shortly after I start the download, my Norton Antivirus (SAVSCAN.exe) starts scanning it, CPU capacity goes up to 20% and the error comes on Disk Overload and then up to 100%. Is is Norton because I find it a very paranoid program. Anyone have any ideas? Can I tweak uTorrent or Norton?

I've stopped the error people, uTorrent as I originally thought is fine. In fact the client, the majority of the time is never in fault. Some might say it's a bit risky, but I unchecked the "Scan Compressed Files" option in Norton Antivirus and now it doesn't scan while downloading. I trust the uploader so I hoped you enjoyed me rambling on and on and I should say bye for now!

I have been using uTorrent since last year and even been able to get it to show 'Network OK' :-)

Last week I tried to use a torrent (Agnitum.Outpost.Firewall.Pro.v3.5.639.57-POPUP.rar.torrent) as I clicked onto it to start uTorrent 1.5 and as soon as it started, pop ups and multiple PeerGuardian2 started to appear. I had scanned it (I'm not a total noobe! - LOL) I shut down the network and deleted all mention of the torrent and did a full scan of my system with AVG, McAfee, SpyBot, Ewidos and System Mechanic 6. I found nothing.

Since this I now get the same problem as the posters above.

I open uTorrent. The up and download works fine until the yellow icon goes green to show the network is OK. CPU increases and then fluctuates from 50-100% and the PF usage raises quickly until it reaches 2.32GB and then levels off. The CPU then drops off to between 2-7%. Other programs can still work and the whole system gets a bit sluggish.

I can close down uTorrent and the PF Usage drops off straight back to the original values. The system continues to work normally (although it does still feel a bit slow-but that could be me being paranoid).

I have uninstalled uTorrant 1.5 and downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled. I have reset the quoted values (currently 8000). I have disabled McAfee and AVG and all firewalls. I have uninstalled PeerGuardian2. I have also tried it with "locked down the network" using McAfee firewall. I have even changed the network port used. All to no effect when I have run uTorrant, I still get the same effect.

The only time this program did not have an effect on the PF Usage, was when I have totally disabled the network connection. uTorrent opened and the PF Usage stayed the same. I would like to fix this a) to be able to use uTorrant again but B) just to be able to know why it has done this and the fixes needed to resolve the matter. Would/could anyone help?

System info. XP Pro with SP2 + updates. 2.1 gig processor, 1.25 gig DDR memory

2 Mb ADSL.

Regards,

dalmations

Think I found the answer.I set 500 000 diskio.write_queue size and the problem "disc overload" disapear.The CPU is between 90%-100% but no message For overloded disc.After 10 min.aprox. CPU usage become low 20-30% with variations.That's all.I dont know is it right or wrong but it works for me.

had this same problem today.

cause: avast antivirus p2p shield, it scans files coming in on a variety of p2p applications, utorrent happens to be one it recognizes.

before hand, speeds constantly dropping from 500k to 5k, constant disk overloads, system freezes, et cetera

after disabling p2p shield (or making it not monitor utorrent) cpu usage from 85%+ to 0-10% and constant speeds 400k+

seems the problem is as firon said in the AV program(s)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I took your advice and as I needed to re-install my O/S I did last week, hopeing that this would solve ALL my problems. I have got everything back up and running nice and clean. Yesterday I decided to install a fresh downloaded uTorrent 1.5 and low and behold.........the same thing occured as before?!?!?! :-(

I decided to factory reset my router. Oh what a game that is to remember how to portforward. Anyways, I did manage to set it up OK and still the same thing happens.

I uninstalled all my AV and firewalls. (Big risk I know, but I NEED to know why this is doing this. Even if it is for my own peace of mind!) Still no change.....

The only thing I had not tried was 'CYBERsitter V.9' which I use to protect my kids from anything that might 'pop up' or link into (they are only 5 & 7).

I uninstalled and started uTorrent.....At last, I can hear the heavenly choir singing.......... hallelujah!

Not a peep out of uTorrent when the green light came on. CPU stayed almost 0%. No rise in disk overload. Sweet as a nut. :-))

Funny thing is CYBERsitter was running OK prior to all the problems. It was not untill I opened up the torrent that CyBERsitter went mad and caused all my problems.

Now the next thing.

Now that I know the program that caused the problem, what can be done to resolve the issue? (apart from not using either program!) I need CYBERsitter to protect my children. It is very good at stopping 'stuff' that you would not want your children looking at or having access to, without blocking things that they can go to eg. Nickjr etc.

Anyone able to help?

Regards,

dalmations

• 5 weeks later...

Been using µTorrent on my laptop for a little while now to download small as well as large files with no problem until yesterday, when it started showing the "disk overloaded" message while downloading a 2GB file, and severely slowing down performance. I looked for online help which led me straight to this thread, and from your various posts on protection software being the cause, it immediately struck me that I've updated my antivirus (Avast) not long before this issue appeared. I uninstalled the program and downloads are now at my usual high speeds and laptop running smoothly again. I didn't bother trying to reinstall Avast to see if I can avoid this problem by messing with the settings, instead I just switched to NOD32.

Just a heads up for people using Avast, and thanks to the community for helping me solve this fast.

kookykrazee, are you using the new "Disk-Cache"-Settings (look into FAQ, change to b463 too, use the search in this forum, check your AV software, firewall)?

Which OS are you using?

What is your up/downspeed? If you have a quick one, this could be normal. If you have a lot of RAM's too, give the diskcache a 1/4 of it or more ...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I am having the same problem too!

Disk Overload - 100 %.

----

I just recently built a new computer and the disk overload problem started to happen since.

My new setup is E6400 Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Corsair Memo, Radeon X1600 512MB DDR2 Graphics card, 40 GB Maxtor Primary HD and 160 GB Seagate Storage drive all powered by an Antec Neo HE 430 Watt PSU.

Whenever I run uTorrent, the system just feels that its drunk or something. It SLOWS down DRAMATICALY!!! with in 2 seconds, I get the disk overload error and PC just begins to lag. Slowing down everything!

I tried both 1.6 Stable and 1.6 Beta Web UI version and both are giving me errors.

After some time, the hard drives gets hot and my temperature sensors kicks in and just shuts down the computer.

The hard drive LED stays ON ( Doesn't BLINK ) when running uTorrent and it gets extremely hott! ( about 110 C)

please help!

768 Kb ADSL

• 3 weeks later...

Archived