codec??????

slkirk22

I would suggest uninstalling EVERYTHIGN related to media playing on your system (ie: WMP, QT, Real) and using the K-lite Mega Codec Pack and use Media Player Classic to play EVERYTHING. It uses ffdshow now and has quicktime/real alternative inbuilt so with this package you should not be able to get a vid/song you cannot play.

Honestly, K-lite Mega Codec pack installs too many things, a lot of which overlap with ffdshow functionality. I wouldn't use it... CCCP only installs 2 codecs: ffdshow, and the WMV9VCM codec. Then there's a splitter, a subtitle filter, and a choice of one or two included players. Very lightweight, and can barely be called a "codec pack," since almost all the decoding is done with ffdshow anyhow.

@Firon: Yeah... I tried finding out what was cut from their version of ffdshow, but I can't seem to find anything, and whatever I've thrown at it is working, so I doubt it was anything big or important. But who knows.

Too many people use those useless bloated codec packs.

CCCP for XP/win2k is so light weight you almost don't even notice it. It will even work with Windows Media Player 9 & 10 so you don't have to install more players if you don't want to. It's also updated every month and a half at the most. Lastest version released Jan 18th, 2006. http://www.cccp-project.net/ Check out their wiki. :)

Now, if you need to know what codecs are already installed on you computer here's a free app that does the job well CCCP Insurgent. CCCP Insurgent Wiki CCCP Insurgent Lastest version released Jan 1st, 2006. :)

Typo Edit.

VLC doesn't use ffdshow. It doesn't use ANY DirectShow codec.

ffdshow is a DirectShow codec. :P

However, the two have many identical codecs, but ffdshow is more updated and often faster in my experience. VLC's missing a few too, but ffdshow is also missing some that VLC has. (namely, working windows media support)

Archived