Is the torrent I'm on being poisoned?

Technarch

I've had it running for about half an hour, and according to the logger certain pieces have failed the hash check and it's already banned 7 different IPs and it's 2 different pieces that fail the hash check which are still not listed as received and complete on this end.

According to general it's wasted 22.7 megs (11 hashfails).

I hope I didn't mess this thing up.. it's almost done and it started out as a pre-allocated Az torrent as I was testing something out.

Using 1.41 b420

Maybe it wasn't.. I am home again and restarted it and did a force re-check after I started seeing the hash fails again on those 2 pieces..

The pieces disappeared from the pieces list and no more error, so maybe the computer just had been shut down wrong or something by roomie. Now hopefully he doesn't come home in the next 23 minutes so I can finish the damn thing already. (It's his computer.)

So far, so good.

Merged Post(s):

Uh oh the pieces are back and failing again..

Maybe I have found a bug in the program.. I didn't start this with utorrent after all.. but I don't want to re-start the dl not when it's been 3 gigs already!

We'll see how it goes.

Maybe this would be a good extension to the PEX messaging system.. to communicate that the other peers are bad, except then someone would send those messages about all the peers to all the peers. Blah.

Hmmm how did you know I was on a d-link router. :( Not in a DMZ though. I know d-links are junk but this isn't my stuff.. do you know something about them? should I power cycle it?

But how about this though.. in the logging at :00 it banned an IP and then 30 seconds later it banned the exact same IP again twice.. If an IP is banned, then logically it should be for longer than 30 seconds right?

Hmm it did it again, banned a different IP and then 6 minutes 25 seconds later banned the ip again?

Eek, I just turned verbose on in the log and then unchecked it but it's still scrolling away madly. Definitely a bug there.

Interesting.. seeing Disconnect: no such torrent go by here and there in the log.

Yeah beta 421, I love piping hot software versions.

Ok this is lame.. I power cycled the router, and those 2 pieces are still failing even when I get them from an Az host at 100%.

Oh goddamn it!

I am trying to continue this from Az just to troubleshoot!! How can there be a bunch of clients at 100% but for me it just keeps sending me hash fails over and over on the same 2 lousy pieces. I guess the problem here is that it didn't allocate the disk space properly.. I'll have to delete the 2 incomplete files and re-download those.. thankfully the other files made it ok.

I'll send you an email and you can try it out for yourself.. I'll tell you which files have the 2 'bad' pieces and you can tell me if they complete or not.

I can't hook up to the cable directly in this room :( So I am unable to force a different IP to test, but DMZ 'gaming mode' is definitely off as of last night and it made no difference.

Hi, I'm also seeing a lot of hashfails/wasted data here. I took some screenshots yesterday when I noticed it happening;

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5474/hashfail0rf.png

&

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5632/wasted3mf.png

I've not come across this level of data corruption with P2P software before now and I'm not sure how I might be able to pin-down the cause It appears to be quite a lot of data becoming corrupt, though, which surely can't be a good thing.

I started uTorrent running earlier today, too, limited to 16KBs/16KBs, and even in this relatively short period it's clocked another 95.3MB of hashfails. :(

What's going on... :-s

EDIT: I'm on 1.41 Beta (build 424); not using a D-Link router (Draytek Vigor 2600); started the torrent with uTorrent version 141B (early version); pre-allocated the file to HDD...

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

It's a television series... 'illegal', really I don't know about that although I suspect the authors of the content would prefer people not obtain it outside of their, err... channels.

I posted a bit hastily I think as I've just read some more threads about data corruption, so, think I'll at least spend some time running some tests against the RAM.

I haven't come across this level of corruption before with other software, though, so it all seems a bit odd for so much data to be getting corruption. I'd certainly like to get to the bottom of it though I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment as to how I could go about nailing the problem down.

I think for now I'll run those memory tests and keep an eye on future torrents (to see if it's common or points towards this particular download).

P.S. The IP ban on 0.0.0.0 in the 'hashfail' screenshot seemed a bit odd?

It's probably MPAA/HBO fucking up your data. And yeah, 0.0.0.0 is odd indeed, must be your own PC or something. :/ In either case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the massive hashfails are isolated to this torrent only, then it's probably just on purpose. Try out the OOo torrent and see if you still get lots of hashfails. ;)

MPAA/HBO.. aye, possibly, though I appear to getting a lot of 'random' peers clocking up in the "Hasherr" column. There doesn't appear to be any relation between them at a glance (not coming from a specific range or anything). I grabbed a screenshot of it;

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6422/hasherr7ng.png

So far I've still gotta run a full memory test but for now I've tried (a) restarting the torrent completely, (B) removing 1 of 3 memory modules from the PC, © configured utorrent to only establish encrypted comms (no legacy), and (d) reconfigured utorrent to write data to a different HDD on a single IDE channel (as my main drives are in RAID-0 config which might've been influencing it).

Still getting errors here soo gonna run the memory test overnight to see if it produces any errors (Memtest). I'll give that Open Office torrent a try, too, thanks for the idea.

Anyway, prolly nothing to worry about like you say, something with my machine I've not noticed before, or malicious corruption, but thought it worth mentioning in case others start seeing the same thing, etc (with it being a beta client test an all :))

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived