Port Range & Stuff

Tr0n

Here are some features I personally would like to see:

# random port range - let the user define the port range of random ports

# every torrent different random port - just like ABC, BitCornet and other clients have it

# ability to move torrents up and down (drag & drop priority) - files that are higher get to the queue faster

# a way to manual announce a file to the tracker - helps sometimes if the tracker is slow

# reset / update torrent info - resets all the info and re-reads seeder, peer,... info

Other than that - this client is kicking some major ass! :) Keep up the good work!

P.S. What GUI API and compiler/IDE do you use to maintain such a small binary?

Nope, they select different ports from the port range for every torrent. You can check this by looking at individually torrent properties.

Of course you need to enable random porting.

segosa: I know about this feature. It's not the same as manual announce where you send info about your pieces to the tracker more frequently.

I agree with chaos, the one port core is convienent, not that others may benifit from a multiple port core, but for the majority of users, fowarding one port is more secure than a range, even if you gain security by using a random port for each torrent; however, i second the request for priority control based on position in the queue via drag-and-drop.

I dunno about being more secure with just one port. Many ISPs block certain ports and random porting is a good way to battle this. Of course unless the ISP just blocks the whole range.

You really should select an IP that appears random. I guarantee you that one randomly selected port is safer than a range of ports. Unless unable to, any BT user should foward the port they are using for BT in order to make transfers seamless, and having one fowarded port in use is far better than have one for each torrent. If you ISP actually blocks certain ports to prevent you from file sharing, then you have quite possibly the worst ISP, switch ISPs .. problem solved.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm sorry for replying in such a old topic, but I would like to see an option to create a range on the random ports, so it would only "randomize" between 50000 and 60000 port for example.

The reason is simple, I like to have "randomize port each time uTorrent starts" so my ISP can't start throttling ports, and because of this I use UPnP, so I don't really need to port forward manually, so far so good, although I would also like to create a rule in QoS section of my router so that uTorrent traffic is processed as low-priority, I could use a L7-filter to catch bittorrent traffic, but with the encryption enable, L7-filter is useless, the only option os to create a rule based on a port range.

Thanks in advance. :)

but with the encryption enable, L7-filter is useless, the only option os to create a rule based on a port range.

Which won't help you, because your outgoing traffic will use random local ports. If uTorrent has a way to bind to a outgoing traffic to a specific port, then that's what I would suggest (I know Azureus does).

• 3 years later...

Sorry to be clearing the dust from such an old thread however I have a similar issue.

I've recently started using QoS on my router. Since I use encryption, the L7 filter isn't a whole lote of use to me so I really need to use ports. Currently I'm using μTorrent 2.0.4

I've set net.outgoing_port to 50000 (Which appears as *50000 - is that the problem?) and net.outgoing_max_port to 50005. However on each start these limits seem to be ignored.

Am I doing something wrong?

I realise where I've gone wrong now. I've set my listening port to random and I've succesfully setup QoS for torrents with a fairly large port range.

Thank you for your clarity.

Out of interest, what controls which port is used for downloading data from other peers? I realise it may be a stupid question however I don't know all that much about the bittorrent protocol.

Archived