PeerBlock block ports essential for Falcon

TEEDLE

It seems that PeerBlock blocks some ports essential for Falcon to work. They seem for fall under the lists "Advertising" and "Education" (I have found that with all my other lists enabled and these two disabled, Falcon will still connect). Is there a list available of ip's necessary for Falcon so that I can create an "Allow List"?

Thank you for the info. I had not been aware of this built in feature and have since removed PB. What is your recommendation for an ipfilter.dat source? It seems most people mention blocklistpro.com or a sourceforge site.

Old; I know, but the misinformation is too important to combat to ignore this.

I've been using PeerBlock V1 for a few months now. Prior to that I used PG, for a LONG time, too long to remember. PBv1 supports/runs properly on x64 systems.

You're going to get a near 50/50 split on the use of block lists.

I live and die by this. It RELIABLY blocks advertising, malware hosting, outgoing call-home software, et cetera, and on....

No one should use it as their ONLY security, and all should research what they are blocking and allowing. I also use AV software and have modified the hosts file as well.

Simply stating that the type of software is "useless" is going overboard. The Software Updates list also saved my work after Microsoft was forced to release a non-requested, can not block, update REMOVING some XML support from Office. Had the silent update gone through, I'd loose access to many created works.

Such software has its place, and that should be acknowledged regardless of one's personal feelings. I could make the same "useless" comment about MANY programs, that I dislike/hate, but others love. I'd be equally out of place without context.

• 6 months later...

We can't give you a list of IPs, because we dynamically provision servers and the IP addresses can change at any time.

If you feel that compatibility with PeerBlock is important, please create an idea in the uTorrent Web IdeaBank so that we can gauge how many other users feel the same way:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/71937-torrent-web

That said, I've personally talked about blocklists with people who've previously worked for firms which attempt to monitor and interfere with BitTorrent usage on behalf of the MPAA/RIAA, et al. Know thy enemy. Those firms love blocklists. They can get new IPs for their bots whenever they'd like, and the blocklist only provides users a false sense of security and a hassle for legitimate services like uTorrent Web/Falcon.

Taking the word of those guys about a subject over which they have both an agenda

and a grudge is obviously not advisable: IP Block Lists Myths Misconceptions

I have cleared "web.utorrent.com" from the only blocklist it was in and the others will

be found and cleared if blocked. It's not all that hard to do and the IP addresses will

not be changing so quickly that it can't be done. I expect that they are spread widely

rather than evasively because there is no reason to keep it a secret and they have to

be deployed globally to better serve the global userbase.

One good way to maintain compatibility is to keep a list posted somewhere where a

script can download it every night and apply it to blocklists. That's all it would take.

I can even provide formats for you so people could download it directly to PeerBlock

and other list handlers.

You may as well post what addresses you have and I'll sort out which ones are blocked.

The IPs for individual instances change surprisingly often (more than once a day usually), so once a day updates will probably not work properly. We use Amazon AWS for the entire µTorrent Web service. Only the website (web.utorrent.com) really has a static IP. The client talks directly to individual instances.

We allow public zone transfers on utorrent.com, so you can pull all the current IPs we're using at that moment in time.

It probably isn't critical if some of them occasionally end up blocked for a day or two.

Since the Amazon cloud is heavily abused in several ways it makes sense to try to be the

stable ones so you can be safely whitelisted while the criminal element keeps on rotating

IP addresses to avoid blocklists and police surveillance.

Do you know if there's a stable URL where a list can be found?

There is no URL. Like I said, you can pull all of our IPs by just doing a zone transfer on utorrent.com . I believe the hosts you'll need are beak*, rapton*, web.utorrent.com. I don't think any of the other hosts are in use.

You can do this with dig.

dig @ns1.utorrent.com utorrent.com axfr

I think you can use nslookup too, but I don't know how to off the top of my head.

• 3 months later...

The IP ranges are blocked in the P2P list.

If you want to be able to do this, at your own risk, make a text file and name it anything that ends with the extension .p2p.

Open it for text editing put the following in the file:

Detected AP2P on Amazon EC2 cloud:184.73.191.210-184.73.244.52

Now you just need to add the list in PeerBlock as an allowed list and you should be able to use the web feature with PeerBlock on.

Keep in mind that this is just a small portion of the Amazon Web Services cloud so you may need to allow many more than just this.

How to add more ranges:

Watch the log for "Detected AP2P on Amazon EC2 cloud" when you try to register the web feature and you likely will know what needs to be allowed to use this.

To find the specific range that the connection was blocked by, view the P2P list and search for the IP you see there then right click on the entry and hit allow permanently.

An alternative is completely disabling the P2P list, but I strongly suggest you do not do that.

Archived