I'm unable to remove/delete the application

diggy33

This is a weird occurrence, but there must be a solution...

I uninstalled the utorrent app via control panel---uninstall a program (windows 7 home premium).

It disappeared from the list...but it is somehow still able to run.

I went into regedit and deleted everything with "utorrent".

I checked running processes and couldn't identify anything utorrent related.

I also tried a system restore point...

Now when I download the .exe and double click it, the utorrent application starts right up...i don't have to go through all the initial installing steps.

And it won't show up in uninstall program OR program files....it's seemingly running as a ghost?

There has to be a way to remove it....

Thank you in advance for replies...any help or feedback would be much appreciated.

ps - I have no problem with the app, it works great. It's just that my a/v always detects Grokster spyware whenever I have Utorrent installed, and it won't delete unless I delete utorrent too. I just bought an expensive computer, so I'm very paranoid about doing any damage to it.

I guess that's possible...

But I'm puzzled though, that it's somehow permanently installed without the files being anywhere on my computer.

I guess I have to do full system restore back to factory settings...it would be such a hassle to have to start over and install all my programs and whatnot...I hope there is some other way.

Me too, facing this problem.

Was informed of new release 2.0.4., so clicked update. But error, unable to download due to something like language/translation problem. So, went to www.utorrent.com, downloaded uTorrent.exe 321kb, run it, still unable to download. Then I uninstalled previous version and installed 2.0.4. but half way hang, so I rebooted and reinstall again but no more installation process, utorrent application started. Could not find the program file location anywhere with window7 "Search". Goto Control Panel to uninstall also not listed. Invisible. Properties - open file location, also no avail. Activation by clicking on uTorrent.exe 321kb file or the icon at quick launch bar. Otherwise program seems to work fine.

Anyone got solution or advise ?

start - run - %appdata%\utorrent

start - run - %programfiles%\utorrent

are where uTorrent stores its files.

Hi DreadWingKnight, Thanks, did [start - run - %appdata%\utorrent],

found it at C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\utorrent

but, [start - run - %programfiles%\utorrent],

reply, Windows cannot find "C:\Program". Make sure you type the name correctly and then try again.

Btw, operating system is Window7 and antivirus is Symantec Endpoint Protection.

If %ProgramFiles% is working on your computer (I mean Windows Explorer opens the program folder) but %ProgramFiles%\uTorrent doesn't exist, so there is no utorrent.exe installed in %ProgramFiles%.

Remove %appdata%\utorrent and you're done.

To be sure, make a search to find utorrent.*

You could also just browse to program files, it's not that hard to find.

C:\Program Files\uTorrent (if you didn't change it during the install) (and you're on a 32-bit version)

If you are on a 64-bit version then it will be in

C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent and it that version of program files will be hidden.

If %ProgramFiles% is working on your computer (I mean Windows Explorer opens the program folder) but %ProgramFiles%\uTorrent doesn't exist, so there is no utorrent.exe installed in %ProgramFiles%.

Remove %appdata%\utorrent and you're done.

To be sure, make a search to find utorrent.*

Bingo! Thanks Moogly, yes, u r right. Thanks again !

To all others who contributed as well, thank you !

Archived