uTorrent: hundreds outgoing connections to BItTorrent Inc

plim121

First I want to say hello to all of uTorrent users.

I recently noticed that my uTorrent client ( version 2.0.4 build 21586) is trying to connect with BItTorrent Inc servers ( ip numbers 208.72.192.166 and 208.72.192.156). I'm talking about hundreds TCP and UDP outgoing connections a day- to be specific they are all blocked by my software.

I've got disabled DHT, automatic updates and sending detailed info when checking for updates.

Could someone explain why is uTorrent client trying so hard to connect with BItTorrent Inc servers?

Thank You all for your attention.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do any of your trackers map to those ips?

That might explain seeing only 100's of ips blocked instead of 1000's.

Tracker I use is private, small number of peers less then 100 IPs connected to a single torrent.

This connections occur during different single torrents loaded.

Sorry but I don't understand this: Do any of your trackers map to those ips? Could You explain it a little more. Thank You.

Those IPs aren't present in the peers list.

How are you determining this?

I disabled "overparanoid and horridly broken peerblock blocklists" and waited 30min then checked if those IPs will surface. I didn't noticed them. I don't know any software to check the swarm ( bitaudit comes to mind but it is in closed beta stage).

A tracker's URL gets converted into an ip the same as a regular web address.

You're using right-click in Peers window to gather the peers list?

Tracker ip is different than those two ips I wrote about in the first post ( whois information is very clear).

And yes my only information that those 2 ip addresses aren't connected to this tracker- torrent is thanks to uTorrent peer tab/window.

So highlighting the torrents and copying the peer list from the peers tab is something you didn't know about?

Also, why aren't you packetsniffing using wireshark to see what the communication actually is?

To clarify: And yes my only information that those 2 ip addresses aren't connected to this tracker- torrent is thanks to uTorrent peer tab/window.

Sorry If I wasn't to clear about it.

I'll now use wireshark. Thank You.

So highlighting the torrents and copying the peer list from the peers tab is something you didn't know about?

Also, why aren't you packetsniffing using wireshark to see what the communication actually is?

So I found some spare time and used wireshark. The results are weird to me. Te communication with Bittorrent Inc ip 208.72.192.166 has noting to do with torrent download/upload.

I don't possess enough knowledge to say what is it all about. I hope that uTorrent devs can.

Circumstances are: uTorrent is running, torrent is active ( downloading), private tracker.

Communication between my computer and ip 208.72.192.166 ( Bittorrent Inc) starts:

- UDP, my computer>Bittorrent Inc, port xxx ( port used by my uTorrent) to port 63759

- TCP, my computer>Bittorrent Inc, port 4306 to port 63759

- TCP, Bittorrent Inc>my computer, port 63759 to port 4306

- ICMP, Bittorrent Inc>my computer, blocked by firewall

then another communication occurs:

- UDP, my computer>Bittorrent Inc, port xxx ( port used by my uTorrent) to port 63759

- TCP, my computer>Bittorrent Inc, port 4325 to port 63759

- TCP, Bittorrent Inc>my computer, port 63759 to port 4325

last one:

- TCP, my computer>Bittorrent Inc, port 4367 to port 63759

- TCP, Bittorrent Inc>my computer, port 63759 to port 4367

- TCP, Bittorrent Inc>my computer, port 63759 to port 4367

Used ports ( iana):

4306 tcp Hellgate London pinghgl

4325 tcp Cadcorp GeognoSIS Manager Service geognosisman

4367 tcp Unassigned

So any ideas why my uTorrent likes to speak with Bittorrent Inc?

do you have bandwidth management (uTP) enabled?

What do the packets contain?

Yes I've got uTP enabled.

Data part contain something like this. In my opinion nothing usable to solving this "problem".

0000   41 02 50 23 31 89 24 27 00 00 00 00 00 38 00 00  A.P#1.$'.....8..
0010 00 01 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...............

So can I ask again why my uTorrent client try ( or as I've showed connects) with ip belonging to Bittorrent Inc?

I have written in my first post that I've disabled DHT, automatic updates and sending detailed info when checking for updates.

I think uTorrent developers should know what purpose is for this connection. The Bittorrent Inc ip actively responded. It is not one way communication.

Thank You very much.

Provide the packet capture then.

I can do this. But I can provide whole wireshark log to uTorrent developers. I'll not post it in open forum. This logs can contain sensitive data.

As of this moment I think that I provided enough information to support and describe the topic.

I will tell this once again. uTorrent isn't communicating with some unknown ip- it's Bittorrent Inc.

The Bittorrent Inc ip actively responded. It is not one way communication.

This forum is uTorrent official forum. So I would think that uTorrent developers use it. If developed program ( uTorrent) do something I would think that action is design and implemented by those developers. I'd like to know why this communication occurs.

While i highly doubt this is anything to worry about, I do understand the reaction from plim121 here.

Asking a question like "What kind of communication goes from my client to it's developers when I've shut off the options I can see for such communication?" shouldn't require a lot of "troubleshooting" and wireshark logs.

Surely the µTorrent developers should easily be able to answer what kind of communication between the µTorrent client and the BitTorrent Inc servers they have coded in?

Archived