uTorrent 2.0.4 ignoring upload settings.

AluminumHaste

The first picture shows the Global upload rate set to 20 kBps, but with uTP restriction off.

noutp.png

This second shot shows same Global Upload limit, but uTP setting on, and it's completely ignoring the global upload rate

utp.png

I have no other torrents downloading or uploading at the moment. This worked just fine in the previous version, the one just before this.

Okay I'll try to explain this a little simpler, apparently pictures are too difficult.

In previous versions of uTorrent, when setting the global upload limit to let's say 15 KBps, all torrents combined would not exceed this limit but would constantly be uploading at 15 KBps.

Now however, if I set uTorrent to the same 20 KBps restriction but turn on this apparently new feature rate limit to uTP connections, uTorrent seems to pick some random number to limit itself to, like 8 or 9 or 3 or 5 KBps upload rate.

Let's put this another way, look at the first screenshot, the global MAXIMUM UPLOAD RATE is set to 20 KBps. Yet uTorrent is currently uploading at 64.7 KBps, how does your comments

"I don't see anything misbehaving there."

and

"uh, looks capped to me."

make any sense here?

• 2 weeks later...

But it's true. With the new versions, utorrent doesn't obey upload limits at all>

I tried everything, setting the upload rate of a specific torrent, checking & unchecking the apply rate limits to either one, both & none, setting the global upload rate limit. All to no avail. The new version decides the upload by itself & won't obey any limits I give.

Is this normal ?? I don't think so.

What can we do to control the upload rate ??

The version is stated in the title of the post, it's 2.0.4 & the build is 22150.

When I apply the rate limit to uTP it limits both upload & download significantly (though I limited only upload speed) with spikes of upload exceeding the limits every few seconds, unlike older versions where download speed never got affected.

I know that uTP throttles connection speed but limiting it sginificantly reduces both upload & download while older versions that didn't use it never got download speed affection this way.

I hope I made my problem clear.

Any clue ??

Speed%20limit%20problemhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1751/speedfi.png

Well, the limiter simply doesn't work for me either. I've got the 2.0.4 build 21586.

If i ask to limit the global upload speed limit to 20 Kb/sec, and doesn't check the limit for uTP, it will upload like hell (100 Kb/sec, which is mostly the maximum speed i can upload with my ISP). If i check the uTP limit, it drop bellow 5 Kb/sec per torrent that i share, and overall i upload only at 7.2 Kb / sec. If i uncheck it, it sky rocket again up to 100 Kb/sec...

obviously, something is fuked up.

>> I don't see anything misbehaving there.

lol... this comment sound like: "don't bother me, it always worked before so it work now". No offense, but if you don't want to look at people comments, just don't read them.

It doesn't work! So it's probably the last time that i try uTorrent. It was working well last year but this year, apparently something is going on... the previous release almost got me banned from my usual torrent web site because of some bug in uTorrent 2.0.4 build 21115 was putting too much pressures on trackers, and now this last version became absolutely not usable because when my upload max out, my download speed drop to 0. If i upload at 80K/sec, my download speed is not affected, that's why this GLOBAL UPLOAD LIMIT is so important. And i can't use it and limit my global upload limit to 7 Kb/sec by activating the uTP limit, because it wouldn't be fair for other users...

So bye bye uTorrent, unless someone got a solution for this problem.

By the way, i just bought an NAS drive and it have a Torrent included in it. For the moment it work well and the speed limit seems to work perfectly, so i'm probably just going to use it. I still used uTorrent because it had an option to count the upload/download over the last 31 days, and the possibility to reset it to match the same usage than our ISP.

cdebel2005 :

...It doesn't work!

Here is an idea for you: try backup setting.dat/old, delete them and re-try with fresh ones.

It DOES work, mostly. There is a glitch somewhere, under some conditions, and I guess it's hard to reproduce. Even after my test above - things returned to normal, and I cannot recreate it myself. Every bit of more info can help.

85510496.th.png

cdebel2005 :

...It doesn't work!

Here is an idea for you: try backup setting.dat/old, delete them and re-try with fresh ones.

It DOES work, mostly. There is a glitch somewhere, under some conditions, and I guess it's hard to reproduce. Even after my test above - things returned to normal, and I cannot recreate it myself. Every bit of more info can help.

I've did what you said, then restarted uTorrent and have set my global upload limit, and now uTorrent seems to follow that limit.

Thanks. Now every time that i update uTorrent, i'll do that.

I have followed all the UTP/bandwidth settings in this thread, however, I experience the same problem, but to a much larger degree - I have my Upload limit set at 500-750k, and I routinely upload 4-5MB/sec. That kinda slows my other internet usage to a crawl!

Screenshot attached; using latest beta build of 2.04 (22626)

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/uploadproblem.jpg/

Sorry for the size, but if you click on it, you can see an upload rate of 500k selected, and a torrent seeding away at 5.0MB/s!!!

No interference at the ISP, as per glasnost.

Also, for some crazy reason, my laptop (Wireless N) is running the Alpha of UT3.0, and it seems to download MUCH faster than my desktop (Hardwired; 1000/baseT).

(I did a test last night, downloading the same file. Laptop: 10hours total. Desktop: Still *2 weeks* till completion. )

Should I just switch to 3.0a?

Archived