µtorrent kills the internet connection

The_Adventurer

Have you tried getting the latest firmware from Linksys before trying that? Or even just rebooting the thing to see if it makes a difference. Or trying to turn off DHT.

Failing all that, you can always get a new one. Perhaps the router's just starting to die.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a WRT54G v5. I'm no longer having that problem, but I'm still downloading slow from torrents. And also I have to reset my router every few hours. I don't know what the heck is wrong. I'm thinking about making a crossover and just forgetting about routers for now.

I have NO router, a usb modem that works perfect. When I am surfing on the internet and Utorrent is downloading AND seeding there is no problem, but when Utorrent is seeding only the conection is dead on firefox or other applications but Utorrent is still working. The up speed is not the cause, 5 or 300 KB, still no result.

Only a complete shutdown of Utorrent is letting the conection work properly.

What is the problem in Utorrent?

I'm using a Motorola SB5101 surfboard cable modem and I have zero problems with utorrent, and in fact download speeds are beyond the rated speed I'm paying for. (6 mb downstream downloading at 800+ kb/s)

Check out that modem if your modem is teh suq.

• 4 months later...

So to Firon i have one thing to say....You are a moron...First and foremost yes hardware can be shit but in this senario it is because of the poor programing of utorrent's round robin system....BUt the biggest problem lies not with our hardware but assholes like you...Instead of suggesting realsolutions you just fucking ramble on about how its our fault......So i suggest you just shut your mouth before anymore stupid pours out....And to everyone reading this forum for a solution first try the very common solutions

1) lower your global down and the up slots

2) use lvllord's patch

3) switch back to Utorrent 1.4.2; filehippo has it <a href="http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/?795">Here</a>

If all else fails maybe Firon will stop being an ass and try to help....But i doubt it

psycho2499 said,

"First and foremost yes hardware can be shit but in this senario it is because of the poor programing of utorrent's round robin system."

What's so poor about it?

Is it because it's too fast?

If so, reduce the values on the advanced settings "net.max_halfopen" and "bt.connect_speed".

There is also an advanced setting "dht.rate" which might allow someone to use DHT even if their hardware might not handle that otherwise. IMO best to just disable DHT to rule it out as a problem, but it's nice to know that option's there.

I have the same problem with 1.6. If there are several torrents downloading the connection will die and will not come back up until I reboot. If I try to disable and re-enable the connection I get a "Connection failed!" error message.

I don't run a router, I'm on a 10/10 Mbps connection, not DSL, not cable. Not a firewall issue. Never happens except when using µTorrent. So what does this tell me? It's a bug in µTorrent, not a fault with my hardware (which is brand new BTW) or settings. Adjusting µTorrent settings doesn't seem to help.

I guess it's back to BitComet for me until this is fixed.

kasakka, just because equipment is new doesn't mean it's not buggy! Ever heard of the term "Bleeding Edge"?

Lots of the newest computer gear is some of the buggiest stuff of all!

Now assuming you don't have any bad hardware, there's still software issues...NUMEROUS software firewalls and antivirus apps cause µTorrent all kinds of havoc simply because they have subtle flaws themselves or just can't handle the speed at which µTorrent makes/breaks connections and transfers data.

Now assuming it *IS* a problem with µTorrent, the problem may only occur with certain hardware/software due to no fault of their own.

But either way...

Unless you list what your setup is, there is NO way we can solve a problem that we cannot even localize/isolate.

Right.

Asus P5B motherboard and using it's Realtek RTL8168/8111 controller. It doesn't matter if I uninstall my firewall. I run no antivirus apps constantly since they tend to mess with programs. Downloading the same files with BitComet causes no problems and I'd say the amount of connections and speeds are pretty much the same and I use the same settings in both programs. That only µTorrent causes the issue tells me it's got more to do with how the program is written than the hardware.

BitComet's and µTorrent's DHT and UPnP handling is completely different, so that alone may cause problems with 1 but not the other.

µTorrent at times can be very aggressive about reaching the half open limit you allow it, which can be too much for hardware even if Windows XP SP2 is patched to handle it.

• 2 months later...

I have the same bug appearing as well: Windows 2k3 running on hp e-pc, NO ROUTER, and a cable modem connected on usb. After a couple of hours, internet is totally stuck. Only thing to do is a reboot or unplug the usb connection. And no it is not the problem in the modem, as BitComet works fine with it.

Have tried every possible solution found on the internet, with no luck. Tried everything mentioned in this thread, and more. I agree it is a software bug, totally tying up the connection to the rndis device.

To bad, a really liked the look, feel and options of utorrent, but I have to go and use bitcomet.

µTorrent is more badass than BitComet, so I'm not surprised it overloads a USB connection. :cool:

If possible, it's better to use a ethernet connection to the cablemodem.

You probably just told µTorrent to use too many connections at once or set upload speed too high. :P

I have tried lowering the number of connections significantly and also reduced the upload speed. Still the same problem.

I use the ethernet connection as the LAN port, the usb connection as the WAN port. The whole idea is to use the very small e-pc as a router with fileserver/torrent capability. The usb connection rates as 12Mbit/sec and with my internet connection gets at most 15% bandwith used.

But the connection get so stuck, i cannot even do an cmd ipconfig or ping. All access to the network device is suspended, until i unplug the usb cable. The driver for the modem just uses the standard microsoft rndis device.

If you have a usb connection on your modem, you might want to try it yourself and let it run for a couple of hours...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

YES, i did get it fixed.

The problem seemed to be really low level. The usb rndis driver got so stuck, the only way to reset was to unplug. Removing with devicemanager also not possible. I even tried programming with CM_Query_And_Remove_SubTree or DIF_PROPERTYCHANGE (restart), but that did not work.

The solution finally is quite simple. Between the usb port of the computer and the modem, i installed a usb-hub. That's it. It runs smoothly now and internet never gets stuck anymore, even if i download from 1000+ peers / seeds.

I do not know exactly why this fixes the problem, so I'll give some more details:

- Usb port from intel chipset 810E (usb 1)

- Touchstone TM402B Modem (usb connection) (usb 1)

- Sitecom usb 2.0 Micro Hub (this is usb 2.0, the only one i had lying around, do not know if it works with usb 1 hub)

Somehow the usb hub seems to filter out the erroneous packet which causes the connection to freeze up.

Let me know if this works for you too.

If by Cisco router, he actually meant Linksys then that explains a lot. I have had 3 linksys routers starting with their first ever single wired one and they have always disconnected from p2p traffic. The WRT4G (i think that's what it's called, their wireless G one with speedbooster) was probably the best but even that pooped out once in a while. I've had wireless routers but I only ever used the wired portion for myself.

I have found that Netgear routers are a little better.

eric are you sure that usb mess is not really just slowing down your connection? why don't you get a network card?

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, this started happening to me on three different computers with different OS's for all builds after 1.6. My old solution used to be to just run the 1.6 version. Now it's an evolved problem. Some torrents (including very high traffic ones) have no problems. However, there are some torrents that if I connect to, I will get a yellow no incoming connections icon for a few minutes; then it will turn green briefly right before the connection goes down. In a couple minutes the connection recovers and comes back up. Again, this doesn't happen all the time, or a lot; but with certain torrents it's nearly continuous. That really makes me wonder. Again, same torrent, same computers, backing up to 1.5-1.6 seems to eliminate the problem.

m0d

I'm using 1.7.2 version. When I start utorrent my internet conection interrupts. Investigation showed that too many connections are opened (2000 is limit). I limited global connections limit in Bittorrent options of utorrent, but it didn't give any result. Utorrent makes as many connections as possible ignoring this parameter.

How to limit the global number of connections of utorrent correctly?

Archived