Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (Preallocate)

dzigdzigLT

Hi,

Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (Preallocate)

This message I get for all new torrents that I add to my download queue. It's starting to make me angry all the time to preallocate every file that is in the torrent. I used all versions of uTorrent since 1.6, update it every time and never ever had any problems before. It seems to me that new uTorrent is no longer capable to create right path for every file in the torrent... It creates only the sub-directory right but no files inside it. When i preallocate every file to that directory and push start it starts download normally. Also after finishing downloading it moves files to the "Downloaded" directory like it should, but looses allocation again for seeding them, so I have to preallocate the same torrent for the second time. It makes me furious every time i do it - and I download much...

I have tried to re-install uTorrent with full removal of any relevant data like I found here in the forum.

I have tried older version that worked fine like it was long time ago... But i want to use new version all the time, so i believe you should look in to this problem seriously and fix some programming issues.

Some data:

uTorrent 3.3 (build 29038)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

Intel Core i7 2760QM

16GB RAM

Paths:

E:/Torrents/In progress/

E:/Torrents/Downloaded/

E:/Torrents/Torrent files/Auto start

E:/Torrents/Torrent files/Downloading now

E:/Torrents/Torrent files/Uploading

'dot' IN the name are fine, it is having a dot as the start or end character that gives Windows a problem. If it is the torrent name, stop the job, edit the caption in the job list to remove the dot at the start or end then set the download location. This will rename the directory that the job will be saved as, then force a recheck and start the job.

If the errant name is in the file list, stop the job and relocate those files and/or directories, recheck and restart.

My family members use other computer with the same system but different version of uTorrent 3.2.3 (build 28705) and have no such problems while downloading the same torrent file that I try to download with newest version 3.3 (build 29126).

The problem here that i'm sick of clicking and double checking every fricking torrent every fricking time. And what I ask from you that you assure me and everyone else that you will fix this annoying issue.

I still can NOT understand how the older version of uTorrent is working without any problems creating directories without dots on the end, but the new one is failing to do so.

Logical assumption : new version has FAULT so please find out what it is

P.S. Both computers running the same operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

and having the same hardware and downloading the exact same torrent from the same torrent portal using the same internet connection (if that's relevant).

No Windows BitTorrent client will have problems with names that DO NOT have a dot as the first or last character.

Logical assumption : new version has FAULT so please find out what it is
Your logic is flawed as is pretty much ALWAYS the case with deductive reasoning. Just because your cat is black does not mean that all cats are black.

Read this next bit VERY carefully.

It IS a WINDOWS ISSUE NOT a uTorrent one!!

It goes all the way back to the origins of MSDOS back to the early 1980s when the 8.3 naming format was decided as all anyone will ever need for file names, and the extension was used to identify the file type. So anything BEFORE the last [dot] in the string is the file name and anything AFTER the last [dot] is the file extension. UNIX systems do NOT have this limitation as the file HEADER not the extension is use to determine the filetype. Also dots have a "special" meaning in disc filing systems, a single leading dot means "The current directory" and two dots '..' means "the directory above the current".

it is failing on trailing dot like in example that i give here

Spartacus.S03E04.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE..torrent

and I've tried the whole bunch of torrents with the double dot extension

on ver 3.2.3 still works like swiss clock (creates directories without dot on the names end)

on ver 3.3 failing

In your example there is a double dot in the torrent file name NOT in the content names, that will not cause a problem.

But the FACT remains that Windows will NOT allow applications to create directory or file names with a leading or a trailing dot

on ver 3.2.3 still works like swiss clock (creates directories without dot on the names end)
OF course it will because NOT having a trailing dot is allowed, whereas HAVING a trailing dot IS NOT

In your example there is a double dot in the torrent file name NOT in the content names, that will not cause a problem.

But the FACT remains that Windows will NOT allow applications to create directory or file names with a leading or a trailing dot

OF course it will because NOT having a trailing dot is allowed, whereas HAVING a trailing dot IS NOT

@ciaobaby

You dont get it.

On version 3.2.3 torrent with name Spartacus.S03E04.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE..torrent works fine.

On version 3.3 torrent with name Spartacus.S03E04.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE..torrent shows error.

Windows creates on both ways dir without dot at the end. Windows automatically removes dot if it exists at the end.

Problem is that old version of utorrent understood it and checked folder without dot and new version dont check directory without folder so client looking for dir with dot which is impossible.

name..ext is NOT a trailing dot. What is probably HAPPENING is that a SUB-FOLDER of

720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE. <<<<< Note the trailing dot.

being created, THIS IS NOT A BUG

Problem is that old version of utorrent understood it and checked folder without dot and new version dont check directory without folder so client looking for dir with dot which is impossible.
No that is NOT what is probably happening. 3.2.3 did NOT always create a sub-directory for a single file torrent 3.3 DOES. But it is NOTHING AT ALL to do with being named as whatever..torrent it is the UNDERLYING directory structure of the data.

I don't know exactly what happening in thees two versions of uTorrent, but I stated the problem like it is...

3.2.3 works fine with this kind of strange torrents

3.3 fails

It is your thing to discover what is wrong in programing of new version (or not, if you don't care about this small case of some 1000 or so users [depends on tracker they use]).

Anyway this is my last post about this matter - i worked around this bugging (My tracker seeders agreed to change the names endings to the < _ > instead of < . >) That stopped bugging for me and all the others using 3.3, but that does not assure that the problem can not occur in some other tracker or trackers.

thanks for help or not :/

Same problems with my PC, I re install windows 2 days ago from old usb image which was used and tested for ages. Now can't open any torrent files with utorrent , Vuze or ABS. same problem in all programs:

The system cannot find the path specified. (WriteToDisk).

P.S. using my default download folder, old and tested torrent site.

Tried 2 another clients, both saying same thing. Permission denied (IMO MUCH BETTER ERROR DESCRIPTION).

Solving the problem:

1- Share destination folder

2- Change advanced sharing settings (public and home) - open discovery, turn on sharing, turn off password protection.

P.S. it helped me so hope it will work for you

Admins check for bug plz, it is there. Program don't have permision to create files or folders in some cases. And why changing sharing settigs makes any affect on local PC???. Older versions didn't use had that problem.

:) Win7 SP1, i5 2500k 4Gh, 12Gb Ram, 128SSD.

because i have same model of windows as before, same system configuration and even same torrent files on my storage drive. Didn't try other clients until today. ABS had no problems with downloading. Vuze looks like more fancy copy of Utorrent, won't be surprised if they use ur code cose error description and program functionality is almoust same. Ups error description is 100% same :D

P.S. no updates on windows its non original and in same condition as previous system

Archived