uTorrent firewalled, still downloading

Parisien

I'm trying to set up the Windows 7 firewall to block uTorrent on private networks, but allow it on public networks.As I understand it, this should protect me if my VPN goes down. However, with the blocking rules in place, uTorrent continues to download even if the VPN is not connected:(

Not being any kind of expert, I assume there's either something wrong with the theory, or there are other settings in uTorrent to make. Having tried for a couple of days, could some kind soul enlighten me as to what's going on and what I should do?

I refused access to c:\users\"my user name"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe on private networks.

I've looked in the Windows firewall list of allowed programs, and it's there but unchecked, which I understand to mean it's not enabled, i.e. uTorrent.exe should be blocked. Even if I remove the entry, meaning presumably the uTorrent is not at all an allowed program, it continues to download.

I refused access to c:\users\"my user name"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe on private networks.

Tthat would only stop access to those directories as a "share name" from EXTERNAL network locations. "Homegroup" sharing and firewall rules are two different things.

Even if I remove the entry, meaning presumably the uTorrent is not at all an allowed program

Nope, you would have to put EXPLICIT "deny" rules in place to block it completely.

Many thanks for the reply.

Tthat would only stop access to those directories as a "share name" from EXTERNAL network locations. "Homegroup" sharing and firewall rules are two different things.

I meant that I denied it access in the firewall.

Nope, you would have to put EXPLICIT "deny" rules in place to block it completely.

I had already done that (sorry, didn't mention it earlier) and STILL it downloads. Are there any circumstances in which uTorrent can work through an explicitly blocked firewall?

Well, I solved it. Explaining how will show why I shouldn't look for a career in tech support:)

Each time I was making the firewall rule, I browsed to c:\users\"my user name"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe.

In the firewall rules, this appeared as %AppData%\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe, which I thought was OK. However, looking at the monitoring view, the full path was shown as C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe, which doesn't exist!

I've now set the full path correctly and finally I seem to be getting what I want.........blocked on private networks (ISP) and available on public networks (VPN).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment/help

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm having the same problem OP had, except in my case I can't seem to fix it. I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection for my firewall and I've created a rule to block all uTorrent traffic for all protocols on my WiFi adapter.

sONwnlk.png

This rule definitely used to work; I could disconnect from my VPN and watch my torrent speeds drop to zero right away. I'm not sure when it stopped working.

I looked in Symantec's network activity monitor while torrenting to see if maybe uTorrent started using a separate service to do the actual work. I didn't see anything like that, but I did notice that Symantec doesn't detect any network activity from uTorrent even when it's actively downloading.

MouUjPi.png

http://i.imgur.com/MouUjPi.png

That's weird, right? What do you guys think I should do?

Archived