Is UTorrent "UDP Capable"

shimq1

I don't know what they mean with "UDP capable". :|

Do they mean:

1.) That they are running a UDP tracker?

2.) That your client must support DHT (UDP packets)?

3.) Something else entirely?

If it's #1, then no, µTorrent will not support it for reasons already mentioned in this forum (search for it).

If it's #2, then yeah, you should enable it in the client. :)

If it's #3, please enlighten us?

Honestly I'm not sure wat they mean by "UDP Capable". This is the quote from their website:

"If you're having issues connecting to new mixtapes posted here, it's because your BitTorrent program isn't UDP torrent capable. You MUST have a program that is UDP capable or you won't be able to download new mixtapes"

We've had the idea of making a better UDP tracker spec, but it's just not worth it.

TCP holepunching isn't used because the success rate is really low. And we're already working on UDP (and NAT traversal when that works) communication.

shimq1: If you're attempting to use torrents that go through the raphustle tracker, they supposedly switched to UDP... but if you right-click on the torrent, go to properties, and change the 'udp://' to 'http://' it still seems to work. This has worked on a bunch of torrents I've tried from there already, so good luck.

• 3 years later...

"Is it really that uncommon a happening, "

Well subjectively, that's a yes. In an unrelated rant...

Bill Gates said that 640KB of memory ought to be enough. Clearly, that was a huge slap on his face when Win3.1 ate up chunks of RAM outside of the 640K conventional memory and into the XMS / EMS regions. Since then, this quote had made him appear really silly. It's no wonder that he denies saying that and he was misquoted.

So apparently, the UDP spec is subjectively view as "hideous", in about the light as some of my technically challenged students view RFC793 as "lame"; yet unsurprisingly, as "lame" as it might be, it has proved to be critical to the success of the Internet.

Everyone (well, almost) know that stateful TCP connections are detrimental to busy servers. It comes as no surprise that DHT uses connectionless UDP. I mean, who would have thought that non-mission-critical packets such as those used by DHT are less important and should be delivered with "best-effort" (erm, UDP)? Ah yes, how could I forget Peter Sunde highlighting the importance of UDP trackers to TPB during HiTB '08.

To answer your question again, yes, I don't see such things happening and I find this to be "interesting". You may disagree with me as subjectively as how the spec is "hideous" to you - it doesn't really matter.

--Chee Bye

Archived