3.5.x Beta

TylerW

Strange, doesn't seem to happen like that here.

Every new version I run, I have to reset the options - nothing seems to remain the same as the previous running version.

I'll try the latest Stable 3.5.1.44332  from your link and see what happens. I'll still have to reboot for the newer hosts entries. It's a pain.

Seems like it did an auto-update without me knowing coz the last download was much older than what was running (3.5.0 something).

Still had to extract the carrier.exe and had to go thru all the advert blocks again (probably due to the auto-update) so turned that off again.

Slightly better display - more room for the entries rather than 30%+ taken up with extra-wide advert space but I still can't resize the display panes like we used to.

14 minutes ago, freedomdwarf said:

I still can't resize the display panes like we used to.

The resize sensitivity in both planes is around 3 pixels (3 pixels for me anyway).

Although I'm sure you've tried moving the cursor around a bit to locate the resize detection points (tips of the arrows: cursor going from right to left, and cursor going from top to bottom).

xwTsjdTF_o.jpg

Edited by mike20021969

28 minutes ago, rafi said:

Might be related to your screen resolution

With uTorrent Maximised and side pane as far left as possible, minimum width for me is 203 pixels (that's to tip of top right arrow on image above). I don't have the sidebar showing anyway. It was just for the image ;)

Laptop resolution 1280x768.

Edited by mike20021969

180 p over here... You might re-consider my settings... Actually, I think there was some Windows tuning I've used (beside x125%)... It's 1080p resolution here, lower resolution can greatly impact, so time to change it/monitor...

and 1182x864 is definitely not standard... 

Edited by rafi

33 minutes ago, freedomdwarf said:

Can't get mine anywhere near that close (wish I could). It's better, but not how I'd like it. I can make the left pane bigger, but not smaller and it's still too big with far too much empty space around it.

If "Upgrade" panel is showing for you, that will limit even further how far left the sidebar can go.

In the image below, I've revealed it temporarily :D

f44ptMNf_o.jpg

Sidebar comparison With and without "Upgrade" showing:

hHLo4kMB_o.jpg

Edited by mike20021969

No, the Upgrade isn't showing. The number of website warnings has slowed down but it's still every 10 seconds or so.

1182x864 is standard widescreen on my nVidia card and fits my 24" monitor very nicely. 1024x768 is too low for most of the webpages I use and 1280x anything or higher is too small to read a lot of text for apps & webpages. Pop-up boxes like Help-About or other stuff has me crawling on my desk to get closer to read it. As it is, I'm having to Ctrl+ (sometimes twice) to read boxes like this reply box. My eyes aren't what they used to be not so many years ago (cataracts).

What I'm trying to say is that with all the other programs, games, and other stuff I have installed on here, only uT is giving me these sort of problems over recent years. Everything else almost always behaves itself without having to go thru hoops just to keep it sensible. That's the point.

I have several adware apps and quite a few websites that offer up adverts for various things. Not a single one of them triggers Malware Bytes "Malicious Website Blocked" warning message - only those offered by uT. That must tell the calibre (or not) of what they are trying to dish up.

I'm not adverse to adverts as a concept. But adverts that constantly trigger warnings from my anti-virus and/or anti-malware protection is something else. There's the difference.

I admire your will to live with ads. With uT this is NOT the way to go, but to follow instructions and disable them (per THEIR design). You need to understand that they just cannot control the content in those ad-sites which they are paid to link to...

Edited by rafi

I don't "see" many ads - my hosts file blocks the majority of them and what few there are don't intrude on my use of the app or website. After a while, I don't even notice they are there. Just as with uT, I see no ads in the left pane at all because just about EVERY advert they try to poke at me is being blocked as malicious by MB and also sometimes by Windows Defender.

I just get tired of seeing the pop-ups from MB every few seconds because of uT. I could turn them off but then I wouldn't catch something persistent that should be added to hosts. The problem is uT; nothing else triggers the warnings.

uT needs to be a lot more selective in what it tries to deliver to the user. Constantly throwing up malicious sites is not a  good experience.

23 minutes ago, freedomdwarf said:

uT needs to be a lot more selective in what it tries to deliver to the user. Constantly throwing up malicious sites is not a  good experience.

uTorrent do try.

Many users have reported rogue ads in the past. The ad gets reported and removed, then another will appear sometime again and the vicious circle continues.

With the right settings applied, and utorrentie.exe stopped from running at all, you shouldn't see any in the client itself, and hopefully that will stop Malwarebytes from being triggered.

Edited by mike20021969

Therein lies the problem. I don't see the ads in the client, MB/WD blocks them before the client gets the content.

The problem is uT issuing the request for the malicious ads in the first place. Whether inbound or outbound, it is always uTorrent.exe.

I get maybe *one* in a couple of dozen visits to torrent sites; I can live with that. But with uT running, it is constant. That's my gripe.