utorrent 0% downloading

bert02

I have been having this problem for forever and finally trying to get it fixed
Tried old versions newer versions still seems to do it

I run utorrent as a service and use webgui to view whats going on.

I have RSS feeds add magnet links, add torrents or add magnet links from websites

all is fine if i have just started the pc, all rss links magnets, torrent add fine.

if i leave the pc on and the rss feed adds files or i add a torrent file or magnet file after a few hours the torrents are stuck at 0% and wont do anything. if i reboot the pc or restart the service it loads them fine and starts downloading. seems to be after the program has been open for a while nothing wants to load

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this issue too for random torrents. For me, simply shutting uTorrent down and restarting it gets everything going again. As your screenshot shows, I don't see a file size. If I do see a file size then I know the torrent will continue to completion.

My perception (which might be wrong) is that the issue started when I installed and started using NordVPN. Do you use a VPN? NordVPN?

Andy

PS I use uTorrent via the desktop GUI.

I'm afraid your suggestion is unhelpful to me. As I said in my post, closing down and restarting uTorrent gets past the problem. My settings are not corrupt. I cannot use yours as I have a number of settings that would be different and must be so - not least the VPN.

Andy

It sounds like your VPN is disconnecting you.

There are some similar issues regarding problems with VPN use on this thread:

https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/107477-torrents-wont-seed-or-download/

And this one too:

https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/101430-utorrent-udp-keeps-timing-out/

Point 5 may offer some assistance: https://torguard.net/blog/how-to-fix-the-most-common-vpn-proxy-service-errors/

Thanks, Mike.

'Point 5' is what I already discovered. Restarting uTorrent always gets things going again.

It seems there can be an issue involving VPNs linked directly from settings. Downloads can stall before they start. It's not blocking because a restart immediately fixes the problem.

I see problems reported with NordVPN (which I use) and PIA, and with different torrent clients (that might share libraries).

It seems having the VPN running for all connections (not just uTorrent) might help but I have to switch the global VPN off occasionally to access some sites.

It would be good if uTorrent could detect the stall when using a VPN and then reinitialises the VPN automatically.

In the meantime, I've used the NordVPN server recommender app to make sure I'm connecting to a server that has a special provision for P2P. I'll report back here if that seems to fix the problem (but I have my doubts).

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I used NordVPNs server recommender app to select a different server and I've not had any trouble since.

FWIW, my guess is there is a significant latency when connecting to a NordVPN server that happens only on first use (which is perhaps why people that use a system-wide VPN don't seem to see the issue). It looks like uTorrent reinitialises its VPN connection each time.

If that's right, uTorrent could do a better job of recovering from a VPN connection delay with options to extend the connection time and retry the connection - at present it seems to try once and then - silently - give up.

Andy

There is bound to be some latency when making a VPN connection. FWIW, I don't think uTorrent should simply timeout and not try again (or maybe it keeps trying but with a short timeout - the result is the same, nothing happens). Ideally it should give us some control over the timeout interval and how often it retries. That's pretty basic stuff.

Andy

It does retry (in TCP), and gives delay control in uTP: pref->advanced->net.utp_target_delay and net.utp_receive_target_delay

Also, you are welcome to try my settings (@sig), where I setup to use the maximum packet size (no change to those delays).

BTW, what IS your delay (ping) with&w/o the VPN? You surely understand that there is no way to get passed some maximum speed (physical limitation) with a certain delay. 

I think we are at cross-purposes. The latency I describe is when initiating a VPN connection for a new torrent. The problem means that a torrent doesn't even get started. Once the torrent starts (by restarting uTorrent) there is no issue at all. The fact that restarting uTorrent always fixes the issue is the clue. IMHO, it's a condition uTorrent could detect and do the reinitialisation itself.

It took a bit of Googling to find out what the parameters you mention do. If the description at https://www.netcheif.com/Articles/uTorrent/html/AppendixA_02_12.html is accurate and my read is right, then those parameters relate to the way a torrent behaves once it has started, so can't help with the 'torrent doesn't start' condition.

Andy

Right, my comments were related to :

"FWIW, I don't think uTorrent should simply timeout and not try again (or maybe it keeps trying but with a short timeout - the result is the same, nothing happens). Ideally it should give us some control over the timeout interval and how often it retries. That's pretty basic stuff."

As far IP connectivity, as I think has been mentioned, uTorrent relies on OS/Windows routing.  It simply uses your gateway for Internet connectivity. Since I don't see any issue with my VPN, I suggest you consult your VPN provider. Anyways you are welcome to try with my setting, maybe there is something related hidden in there... 

Archived