How to type µtorrent

Snapphane

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gray(right) alt+m do not work on Opera (and non MS software).

alt 230 -> ц on non US regional settings (and international windows).

alt 0181 -> µ should work everywhere.

* gAlt (gray ALT) is implemented on all 101+ keyboards since 15 years ago it is the name of the Right Alt on the keyboard. Gray Ctrl is respectively the right control key. On some keyboards they are really engraved as gAlt/gCtrl or gray Alt/gray Ctrl but often is written just alt/ctrl. In most cases they do the same thing as the left ones, but it is obvious they are different keys!

Just to make it clear if it isn't already by Venimus' post, *all* keyboards have AltGr, including north american/standard ones. It's the rightmost Alt, and most of the times it's simply marked "Alt". But press it in combination with other letters and you'll get graphic stuff like ðáßðßððü€¾½íåßä and such. Ctrl+Left Alt also has the same effect as AltGr most of the times.

It's weird AltGr is not working on Opera, but it works on everything I use in windows, including non-MS software.

230 is its ANSI table (256) code and 0181 is its unicode table (65k) code, that's why the Alt+code thing works.

@µTim: I've extensively tested my Alt buttons, and they still don't work as you say. Right Alt + M does nothing. Pressing Alt automatically sends the keyboard focus to the menu bar, so if you press Alt + ANY_LETTER, it will try to open the menu that has ANY_LETTER underlined. It does the same thing in every one of my applications, from Notepad, to Opera, to Microsoft Word. Ctrl + Alt + ANY_LETTER doesn't work as AltGr either. It's only an extra modifier key that applications have to detect, and isn't a global Windows key combination equivalent to AltGr (at least it does nothing here either).

All of those key combos only apply to those that use -international- IMEs. The standard EN-US IME does not have any of those key combos. For people using EN-US, left and right alt, for all intents and purposes, are exactly the same. So no, US keyboards do not have AltGr. (it's nothing more than an IME setting really)

• 3 weeks later...
If you're referring to a measurement.. do you say "mu meters" or "micro meters"... I rest my case. ;)

If "torrent" was a standard unit of measurement then your case would work. "µ" only means "micro" in the context of standard units. "µ" also represents arithmatic mean, or average. It would be equally correct to say it should be pronouced "average torrent". Not exactly a flattering name.

"µ" has a lot of meanings.

In any case, there should be a forum filter to change "utorrent" or "uTorrent" or "µtorrent" to "µTorrent" if they actually want people to see it written this way consistently.

Archived