Developer looking for help

pzh

Hey guys! I, like many of you, love the compactness and efficiency of uTorrent and have recently decided to start developing my own torrent client for fun. Unfortunately I cannot find uTorrent source code anywhere. I am planning to mimic much of the features found in utorrent down to the UI and such and it would be so much easier to have the code to reference than to try to build completely from scratch.

Does anyone around here have any tips on finding the source, or, barring that, has anyone tried decompiling the dang thing with something like Ida Pro?

That's too bad that such a nice program is bound by arbitrary obscurity regulations set by its talented but misled developer. I think source code is our god-given right as software users/developers. I'm just going to have to see what I can get with Ida that will help me build my own open-source clone of utorrent... :(

I ... have recently decided to start developing my own torrent client for fun.

Do tell: how much fun is it to reverse engineer a client for the sole purpose of copying it? How would it even be "developing [your] own" if it'd really be "copying someone else's"?

The creator of a thing has the "god-given-right" to do with it as (s)he pleases, and if (s)he wants to keep the source code private, that's his|her right.

Both open- and closed-source methods have their advantages and disadvantages for each.

Impugning the integrity of ludde, who was the original developer until recently, is misguided at best. He has given much to the open-source community over the years. The one that comes to mind first is the OpenTTD project, which he also started, with a few other programmers.

He wanted more control over the compactness and efficiency of the µTorrent client, and had a desire to keep it as bloat-free as possible, by combining a lot of old-school programming techniques and methodology (which, I might add, is SORELY needed in today's crop of sloppy, bloat-happy programmers), with today's methods. There are tons of programs out today, that don't need to be anywhere as big as they are, if they were only designed efficiently from the ground up. A goal that would have been much harder to achieve with open-source, as many other people would keep adding in their own pet features which go against the philosophy behind what µTorrent was supposed to be about.

Mainline is open. The BitTorrent protocols are open. If you want to make your own client, then use those as reference material, and make something that is TRULY your own, and not just a bad hacked copy of an already great client.

-- Smoovious

Archived