Is it legal ?????????

st0kesey

Hi, I'm a download virgin and wandered what I am aloud to download and what I can't.

What are the rules.

Also what is a Leecher? Seem that term posted around, on one of the forums somebody said that it was somebody who did not share only downloaded.

Then on the Utorrent FAQ area it said that a Leecher was somebody who did not have the full file.

Any ideas???

Rich

Hi, I'm a download virgin and wandered what I am aloud to download and what I can't.

What are the rules.

Anything that is copyrighted and that you don't have the permission to download/upload is illegal.

Also what is a Leecher? Seem that term posted around, on one of the forums somebody said that it was somebody who did not share only downloaded.

Then on the Utorrent FAQ area it said that a Leecher was somebody who did not have the full file.

A leecher is someone who one download but doesn't upload(maybe also upload very little). the whole purpose with p2p is to share, those who doesn't are leechers.

Legally you are not allowed to download Copyright material. This means 95% of music, movies, and software programs. This is not to say that using Utorrent is illegal, and far from it. There are thousands of legitimate uses for torrents. Many free programs and movies from websites such as www.purepwnage.com are available.

A leech is someone who downloads without uploading just as much. This hurts the other peers on the torrent (aka the swarm) and slows down the overall speed when people do this.

Uhh.. about the 'leech' thing.

Traditionally a leech is, as others said, somebody who limits their bandwidth aggressively, or just closes their torrent immediately after downloading - ie. not giving back what they took from the swarm.

However, a lot of people use the word 'leech' or 'leecher' to describe what should really be called a 'peer' - ie. not a seed, someone who is currently downloading the file. µT uses 'peer' in the torrent dialog, as far as I know.

Yeah, leecher is used (in some clients) as the same definition as peer, yet at the same time it's used for people who try to avoid uploading by stopping right when they finish, using hacked clients, capping their UL at 2 KiB/s, etc...

Peer is fine for non-completed I suppose, but it's also used as a general term for any client (seeder or "leecher") in the swarm..

Its legal to download but not to keep in most countries...

And read http://btfaq.com for more answers.

Just a minor correction:

Its legal to download & keep, but not to use or spread in most countries... As long as it only sits on your HD and is never used or spread it's probaly legal, but then again how do you prove that you have 'unused data' and why is it on your storage device ? :D The download act itself is, in most countries, not considered to be illegal. Even storage isn't allways considered to be an illegal activity (else webspace providers might be in big touble), hell even Win would be illegal for allowing it (shame for Kazaa then they didn't think of this). It is never the software that is illegal, just the way u use it. Imagine for instance a hammer ... is a hammer illegal ? And how about when it is used as a murder weapon and you had no reason for carrying it in the first place ?

What probably is certain to be illegal is to sell the stuff you downloaded, or share it among friends, relatives, aliens, CIA & FBI..... unless it is abandonware/freeware.....

Despite all the above........ software worth using should be worth buying (or contributing to it in a diffrent way).......

Special thanks should go out to all those coders out there that will spill the time they have left in this life to please us by creating wonderfull pieces of software, that only some of us would imagine in the first place but all of us would like to use........and absolutely free........ LONG LIVE FREEWARE...............

Peers: People you can connect to

Leechers: People who you don't want to connect to.

Seeders: Those few lucky enough to have a complete torrent and are happy and willing enough to share them amongst the less fortunat (Who said Robin the Hooded died ?)

Leechers: Unless you need to because of some upload ratio ....... (or avoid bans)

Archived