uTorrent corrputing mp3 files?

Sachaztan

I used Bitlord a long time but the dl times were sick and it seemed like it was full of spyware, and then I found the saviour uTorrent. Possibly the best torrent client ever.

BUT, it did do something weird with mp3 files...

Haven't had a single problem with mp3 files with Bitlord, but EVERY SINGLE album i downloaded with uTorrent has been unable to open in Windows Media Player (my player of choice) with the nice error message

"The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.mp3) that does not match the file format. Playing this file may result in unexpected behaviour."

Well, it didn't even play on WMP but on Winamp it did, and the "music" was pretty f*cked up.

Coincidence? Not uTorrents concern?

I let you decide, but i'm contemplating switching to Azerus if this don't get straightened out. Please don't make me abandon this great torrent client.

Coincidence?

Yes it is a coincidence.

Not uTorrents concern?

No it's not, as uTorrent wasn't the creator of the original mp3s.

Windows Media Player (my player of choice)

Which happens to have a habit of silently re-tagging (and thusly corrupting if they're still in the process of downloading) mp3 files.

Just as a test, have you tried downloading albums that were stored in an archive?

Ay, and they work perfectly if they come in rar format.

Also I did say that when played in winamp they just sounded "f*cked up". Somethings wrong with winamp then? Not even switch could touch the corrupted files when i tried to make other formats out of them.

And what if uTorrent corrups simple mp3 files then? Still not uTorrents concern?

Sachaztan well you should disable or even uninstall the indexer.

A workaround for now might be to enable the .!ut extension for incomplete files. This might prevent the indexer from finding the .mp3 files before they are done. You can find it under Preferences => Downloads => Enable 'Append .!ut to incomplete files'.

However this is NOT a solution to your problem (and only works for new torrents you start from then on, if at all). You should really disable/uninstall the indexer. If you have no idea how we might be able to help if you provide a list of running processes (get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, File > Save, then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here).

@jewelisheaven: That was pretty much a C&P from this post.

@Sachaztan:

An indexer that changes the files it indexes is a bad piece of software to have on your computer by definition. It might cause all kinds of problems on your PC and you might not be aware they are related to that piece of software or you might not be aware of them at all. It's almost like saying you don't mind a virus on your computer as long as you don't know which problems it is causing.

Download HiJackThis and post the log here if you are unsure of what could be causing the problem :)

I take the stance programs should do ONLY what I tell them SPECIFICALLY to do... there are others which prefer the reverse... For a generic discussion about it: http://www.slashdoc.com/documents/78852 (note address was obtained from the Get Lucky! URL returned from this search)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 21:29:00, on 2007-12-12
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16546)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ZyXEL\ZyXEL G-202 Wireless Adapter Utility\ZyXEL G-202.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CTXFIHLP.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CTXFISPI.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp Remote\bin\orbtray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp Remote\bin\Orb.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.daemonsearch.com/se/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Winamp Toolbar BHO - {25CEE8EC-5730-41bc-8B58-22DDC8AB8C20} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O2 - BHO: McAntiPhishingBHO - {377C180E-6F0E-4D4C-980F-F45BD3D40CF4} - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\MSK\mcapbho.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live inloggningshjälpen - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McENUI] C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\MHN\McENUI.exe /hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsioThk32Reg] REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: uTorrent - Shortcut.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ZyXEL G-202 Wireless Adapter Utility.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Toolbar Search - C:\ProgramData\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
O9 - Extra button: Blogga detta - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blogga detta i Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O23 - Service: McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0047251197481979) (0047251197481979mcinstcleanup) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Windows\TEMP\004725~1.EXE
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Creative ALchemy AL1 Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\AL1Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 8563 bytes

Thanks for that clarification, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. It's been a busy week here.

Also if I may make an observation, all of those services without files suggest a recent... cleanup operation?

I would also recommend making sure McAfee's realtime scanner is exempt from snooping in your uT download folder to be sure it's not futzing with files before it's even complete.

Other than that it looks like you have a nicely working Windows Vista

If I may also make a note regarding your first post, I think that BitLord does a similar shuffle to BitComet auto-downloading files with its own extension (I know bitcomet uses !bc as it's used in the migration guide) to keep other programs from opening them as it's an unknown extension. Furthermore the using of uT's feature to use IT'S own extension !ut for downloads fixing the problem you're seeing proves it is probably your media indexer working in the background to "help" you make your life easier... See how much easier it made it :P

Nah seriously, if it only did it when I opened my media browser and then said "XXX imported from XXXX. Do you want to accept changes" I would check my folders for downloads, check to see if I plan on seeding them more as current or not, and either say YES or NO. Too many useless background processes are bad for the sanity of your computer. How long do you think it takes each night to put them to sleep?

Archived