Cant surf the web with uTorrent running

TheSacredSoul

Ok. Here is my problem. I cant surf the web with uTorrent running. Even if I am seeding at 15kbps, I cant go to any webpage. After I close uTorrent, about 10 mins later, I can surf normally. I am on Vista Ultimate. I have a 3mbps line and I chose the xx/384k settings under the SpeedGuide. I also tried disabling DHT and running the TCP patch again. I am using a Linksys WAG200G Gateway with the latest firmware. This problem just came up about 2 days ago. The funny thing is, I used to downloading at 350kbps with almost 0 lag in terms of web surfing. Now, without downloading at all and with an upload speed of 15kbps, its hurts my surfing.

I have no idea what causing this. The moment I open uTorrent, I cant surf the web anymore. Anyone experienced this before or anyone got a solution? Thanks for your time!

I have tried disablng DHT, patching TCPIP, disabling UPNP, rebooting my modem, trying to change the priority of uTorrent.

Port Checker says port is open.

SpeedGuide is 384k/xx.

max half open is set to 100. Previously from 4.

I am on Windows Vista Ultimate.

NOD32 is installed.

I am using the Linksys Gateway WAG200G.

ISP is Singnet, Singapore.

SpeedTest shows 3011kbps DL and 361kbps upload speed.

Really... and you still have a problem :( What I can suggest is going through two days ago to try and remember what happened. Two days ago would be monday morning... weekly spycheck? security update? Windows updates on tuesday right? :/ Are you sure the linksys connection to the modem hasn't changed.. or been compromised. ISPs where available regularly utilize config resets on their modems to keep certain things locked down.

Hmm. I do remember a Windows Security update. Its really weird. Even if absolutely no torrents are being downloaded OR seeded, this still happens. So I downloaded BitComet to see if my router was the problem. I am downloading at 360kbps in BC with no problems in surfing. Really strange. I tried both the stable versions and beta versions of uTorrent. Been using uTorrent for years now. Feels terrible to move to another client albeit temporarily. Hopefully, I can use uTorrent again in the future. Anyway, thanks for all the help!

:( Yeah, windows updates depending what files are actually downloaded regularly resets any patching done on tcpip.sys... but normally you'd get some kind of errors in uT whereby you can figure out that's the problem. As the How-to for troubleshooting suggests try limiting your connections even more to see if you can GET uT to co-exist again... even as low as 10 connections total. To try and diagnose If however the problem lies with some re-configuration or reset of your linksys gateway verify or see if uT works with it out of the equation. You could also read through docs to see if there is a 3rd party firmware for WAG___G series.

Disable DHT and Resolve IPs in the PEERS window.

If that doesn't seem to help, try setting half open connections in uTorrent to only 1 or 2.

...uTorrent's not firewalled (green light), right?

Singnet is KNOWN to be hostile to BitTorrent traffic, especially to/from international connections.

Ok guys. After sometime, my whole router keep crashing even if uTorrent isnt running and my browsers kept being redirected to srch.dealio.com. I tried various anti virus and anti spyware. None worked. I reinstalled Vista again but I am using Home Premium now instead of Ultimate. Utorrent works fine now. Thanks for your input guys!

After I discovered about Spyware on my system, I installed AdAware, BoClean and AVG Anti Spyware. Unfortunately, only AdAware could be updated but it did not find anything. And running AVG without updating is pointless. So i just reinstalled everything. I am terribly sorry. It was an error of my system and not uTorrent. Extremely sorry guys!

I had the same problem as TheSacredSoul, I too reinstalled Vista (Ultimate) and that appeared to solve the problem. Well, now it is four days later and the problem has re-occured. I can confidently say that no software or updates were installed between when uTorrent would cohabit with a web browser and now. Also, I had made no cofiguration changes of any kind between working and non-working states.

The last time this happened I tried disabling DHT and changing the value of half_open, but it did not resolve the issue, I have not tried those measures this time. Another side affect of the problem is that uTorrent hangs intermitently (displays Not Responding in the title bar) but does resume working after a minute or two. Also, most of the time, but not always I can use IE after exiting uTorrent. I am, naturally, reluctant to keep re-installing Vista every few days, so I would really appreciate any help in resolving this. I really do not want to use another client, I have been using uTorrent since it's release - it's the best.

I am running McAffee and besides uTorerent and VLC the system is a vanilla install.

I have one suspicion though, maybe someone might have an idea if it's relevant - my system was abrubly shutdown shortly before the problem occured, both times.

The freezing gives an indication it doesn't sound like uT or Windows is at fault, but some 3rd party app.

I notice that no process explorer list or HJT log is present here... as a precursor to the forcible creation of a dump while frozen can you provide those. If you want to provide all the info at once you can try crashing ut with the ntsd command and upload the .dmp to mediafire.com?

Text files can be copy pasted into posts ;)

I don't do anything lol, it's you who's gonna be doing trial-and-error. HOLY #@$*(. SiteAdvisor would be my first guess. Then again McAfee thinks it needs fourteen services running :/

Who knows which of these processes can actually be removed?

O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - E:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - e:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - e:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - e:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Privacy Service (MPS9) - McAfee, Inc. - E:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee Inc. - E:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe

There are two general ways interactions cause problems... something is injecting into uT and causing uT to be the "culprit" in this degrading of networking services, or something is incompatilbe with uT and the many networking subsystem calls it makes while torrenting. In the first case, you still need to provide a Process Explorer log. For the second... I'd start by disabling some of those services. Also remember I mentioned you can cause uT to crash while it's frozen or @ high CPU usage and upload the dump for someone to look at. But first I'd try removing all this extra stuff to see if one of them is the culprit.

Archived