Identifying the source .torrent file for a torrent task

rafi

since I didnt find way to locate which .torrent file is the source for a torrent task, here is where I suggest to put this filename info ( a trivial and required piece of information that should be there, if you ask me... ):

1. torrent's properties

2. general tab->general

3. add " open .torrent's containing folder" to context menu

Thank you in advanced for you effort.

then points are:

1. it's basic info

2. it's required if you want to get to it to create a torrent based on a sample torrent

3. ... or if you want to back it up or just send it to someone

4. and... it's simple to implement...

well, I believe most other clients has save/copy .torrent operations. so I guess the users have a use for them .

I agree that there as some other wanted feautures that are more useful, like a previous suggestion for having "open-containing folder" in the context menu of the files-tab...

Unnecessary. You want to identify the source, make a new key in the torrent yourself (using BFE would be my recommendation)... Akin to your request though for most people "Source URL" could suffice to be a "source"... Keep in mind many private torrent sites add "source" under the info dictionary (to create unique INFOHASH) so keep it sub-ROOT.

uT stores all its torrents in one location (or where you tell it)... moving the bar for comparison or inclusion of a feature does not increase the chance of it being implemented.

Kinda hard to edit the original .torrent file for a torrent job if you're not really sure which .torrent file actually belongs to a torrent job, no? Displaying the path/filename for the actual .torrent file itself (and/or having µTorrent be able to jump right to identifying the file in Explorer) was what rafi was asking for -- nothing more, nothing less. It wouldn't make sense to edit such a path into the .torrent file.

FileMon from Sysinternals can kind of do that. You just double-click on the referenced .torrent file (usually the same name as the torrent name) and it'll take you to the desired folder via File Explorer. Unless you kept .torrents in different folders, I guess that is not as helpful needing to highlight the actual .torrent file for you.

I don't think either of you are understanding the request here...

rafi wants to know what .torrent file is associated with a particular torrent job. He doesn't already know, and it isn't always immediately obvious what .torrent file is associated with a torrent job. If he doesn't know which .torrent file it is, he certainly couldn't double-click it (or edit it).

Indeed, the .torrent file's name usually matches the name shown in the Name column, but what about those users who renamed a horribly-named torrent that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to identify?

So, Ultima, since it seems that you are almost the only one that understands my simple (and so obvious) request here, what do YOU think ? are you with me ? ... or do we need to make a federal case of it ... ;)

I don't have a strong case for supporting its addition, but I don't really have a strong case against it either. Honestly, I think it's just another one of those "meh" features -- I don't really care (that much) one way or another whether it's implemented.

If you really really want a black-vs-white answer out of me, I'd say I'm leaning toward no, simply because I see it as having very limited utility. But don't quote me on that (and don't take that as some kind of stern opinion from me). There are plenty of other near-useless-but-easy-to-implement feature requests out there that won't ever be implemented, so I don't see why this and not those other requests (whatever "those other requests" are -- just know that there are plenty of 'em).

And um, BTW, being simple to implement doesn't make it an automatic yes (and isn't even a reason to implement the feature). In fact, that should keep it even further from an automatic yes unless its utility factor is obvious and excellent. Else, we'd be further closing in on feature creep.

It's in the resume.dat, there's no way currently to do this... so apply my previous mis-understanding to the resume.dat. There's not enough places to currently SEE all the current data, and something superfluous like this could be added whenever an "update" to the GUI comes around (1.9 is in-planning right now, correct?).

Archived