Block peers on certain ports

winMX_67

It would be nice to have a freature to block peers on certian ports. So PG@ users could use "allow HTTP" and now have slow loading times. Heres a pic of azures http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/4999/portblock8oe3sf.png

merged from the other thread

Now I know this isn't the fault of µTorrent and it's creators, but I would like to see implemented some kind of port blocking so that TCP ports that are already assigned to specific applications (especially the major ones like email, FTP, SSH, HTTP etc) cannot be used by your client. Plus specifically blocking any client connecting to the application using these assigned ports, so these sort of idiots are weeded out.

Even if this was a manual thing, allowing experienced users to create a list of ports that are not allowed to connect to µTorrent.

This sort of thing would remove alot of false positives and constant emails about µTorrent being spyware or trying to send emails, plus clean up the BT protocol a bit.

The main service ports shouldn't be used regardless of what reason you have. Remember there are over 65000 TCP ports to use, an ISP isn't going to be blocking all of them, it would be a gross missuse of their power, plus it would stop people using alot of other legitimate applications such as IM, VIOP, gaming etc, not including alot of monitoring and backup software.

If you do need to use a port different to the original (which I do, for other reasons) then start at 16000 and move up, rather than use one of the main service ports that have been reserved since the beginnings of the internet.

Yes actually.

IANA have a port listing available here showing exactly what application and task that port is assigned to. Using another assigned port for your own means, is like getting your mail redirected to next door because you don't want your wife to see all the dirty magazines your buying.

These listings are available to the public for a reason. To make sure the data your requesting is going to the right locations.

Not everyone has a single computer and a direct connection to the internet. I do alot of forwarding to specific machines depending on which port the data is assigned to.

Remember there are over 65000 TCP ports to use, an ISP isn't going to be blocking all of them, it would be a gross missuse of their power, plus it would stop people using alot of other legitimate applications such as IM, VIOP, gaming etc, not including alot of monitoring and backup software.

No, but in the case of Rogers they are filtering all of them, except 1720, and slowing down BitTorrent traffic based on header inspection..

It is one thing to penalize someone for using a 'bad' port, but to ban them altogether and make such port-useage impossible for µTorrent users seems a very bad idea.

Lots of people will have to use VPN tunnels on port 80 to even get BitTorrent clients to work from their location. Many others may be on ISPs that do block nearly all ports, such as Rogers.

To throw away potentially ok BitTorrent sources/peers seems against both the purpose and spirit of BitTorrent's design.

A VPN tunnel on port 80???

I'm all for this feature, but it should be in the advanced settings. I don't want to connect people running BT-software on ports like 25, 80, 443, etc. I know some users do this for legitimate reasons, but so will anti-p2p companies. Besides, running p2p apps on these ports can cause a lot of other potential issues with adblockers, firewalls, IDS, etc and the ports are assigned to specific applications. They shouldn't be used for BT.

I think it's because there's some argument that you shouldn't use ports below 1024 'cause it's "reserved" or some bullshit like that. Stupid argument if you ask me, but whatever, Mainline is irrelevant. People use that as much as they use like, libtorrent lol

I think it's because there's some argument that you shouldn't use ports below 1024 'cause it's "reserved" or some bullshit like that. Stupid argument if you ask me, but whatever, Mainline is irrelevant. People use that as much as they use like, libtorrent lol

Firon, it's not bullshit that those ports are reserved. P2P apps should block the use of the ports 1024 and below, it's bad to steal other applications ports. Especially if people depend on those port assignments being used correctly for traffic shaping (on their local network) or virus/spam filtering.

Seems lot of us agree on not blocking ports feature, and if someone really needs to do that - go configure your firewall, make good rules for your bittorent clients and be cool, and please leave the rest of poor people who allready finds themself cheated by their ISPs traffic shaping in peace. I'm sure even inexpert people can find answers how to configure their firewalls proper so I really don't see the point of blocking the ports in µtorrent.

Archived