download relative to upload with version 1.4

orenopen

With the new version my download is limited when I set the upload lower then 5.

Unfortunately in Belgium certain providers limit the upload volume to 20% of the download volume.

So, sometimes I have to set the upload lower, but now this affects my download and I can't influence the ratio anymore.

Can this be changed ?

Otherwise I'll have to change programm.

Maybe I didn't explain it right.

I've got a data limit of 12G(10 down/2 up).

So if I use to much upload on 1 torrent, another one(at a reasonable speed) might not be possible anymore.

It's not that I don't want to upload, but I have to take these stupid limitations in consideration.

Those data limits are insane.

5 KB/sec download and 2 KB/sec upload constant traffic over 30 days would generate:

12.36 GB down and 2.47 GB up

No offense to you (but plenty of offense meant to your ISP) but...

What you have doesn't deserve to be called broadband.

The monthly limits are so poor they're actually worse than single ISDN (which can handle 24/7 use).

There might even be grounds of action based on false advertising.

Hmm... poor orenopen... It doesn't matter if I agree with uT DL/UL policy or not, but it cannot regard your case as a typical one ... I suggest for you to use Netlimiter and limit your UL with such tool regardless of what uT is doing...

Put uT at " no limit" for UL.

You can also limit the upload for a specific torrent in its properties without affecting your download, at least for now.

But anyway, in your place i would dump that ISP and try to convinve more ppl to dump it either.

If all of them start to apply traffic limits here, i'll simply go back to dialup.

Huh. You people have obviously never looked into broadband in other countries.

Here most ISPs advertise "unlimited" plans with strict download limits. Once you run over the limits, you aren't billed extra (= "unlimited) but your plan is slowed down to 64k typically (almost as slow as dialup).

I can basically use 0.25% of the total amount possible if I was downloading at my full connection speed (24 Mbit connection with 20 GB download quota).

There are much crappier broadband plans, for example most of the budget ones are 256k lines offering 100 MB of download per month.. This is in Australia. :/

I do know that in the UK a certain ISP had to raise their lowest budget connection's speeds to 160 kilobits/sec or more because it didn't meet the "broadband" definition...as they were advertising it as such. Likewise too, extremely low bandwidth quotas qualify as not meeting the "broadband" definition.

On the other hand, a 1/2-1 megabit broadband connection that's allowed up to 1 GB of traffic a day starts to sound really good compared to what's offered in France, Belgium, UK, Poland, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.

Well, it depends on how much you pay. I could double my quota (ie. 40gb + 40gb = 80gb total) but that would cost me an extra $20 a month (AU$90 total per month just for the broadband service). Screw that.

We used to have "unlimited" broadband plans in the sense that I would call unlimited; that being that you could download as much as you want, but you would be the first to get "shaped" (throttled) if the network was under high load, or something. Those plans were 512 kbit at the fastest and cost around $80 pm, IIRC, but now that the ISPs offering those plans have 24/1 mbit connections, they're just not able to afford the extra bandwidth on a line of that speed.

Over here, apparently, international bandwidth is really expensive (since we're basically just a big island). So if you actually use up your full quota (on plans with > 10GB quota for example) the ISP makes a loss; they rely on the users with low usage to make their money. (At least that's what I've heard :P)

They rely on the users with low usage to make their money anywhere.

Thats what they all want, they want clients to pay the money, but prefer them not use the service at all. Thats the perfect case for them. The perfect case for us is an exact opposite. The real thing will always be a trade-off between the two.

IMHO having a traffic limit of any kind is NOT an acceptable tradeoff. And the fact is, not a single isp in israel does any kind of traffic limiting.

Im just glad no ISP here has started this sort of bullshit.

I will not pay on a service i cant decide how to use.

I'm sure that me and others feel exactly the same, but eventually - I think ISP plans here, are bound to change somehow. It seems to me that "unlimited" per se is becoming too expensive for them (due to P2P etc), and it is eventually sooner or later going to change (or cost much more...) :(

IMHO having a traffic limit of any kind is NOT an acceptable tradeoff. And the fact is, not a single isp in israel does any kind of traffic limiting.

Maybe because your bandwidth to other countries is cheaper than ours - but the fact remains that here in Australia we have to use overseas (well technically undersea) cable to access pretty much any non-Australian peer or site.

Plans here have always had limited download quotas, because bandwidth costs ISPs over here a lot more than in the US, I guess.

@splintax, I wanted to point out the inf example is not FROM the US... It is from another "Internet island" - Israel ;). Connections abroad are under sea as well. Competition drives ISPs to give low prices (typically - 7-8$/m for 1.5 Mbps) and unlimited volume packages. It also has to do with low quality service (@ peek hours) and a VERY low UL bandwidth (~100Kbps).

Also people pay about 10$ more to the cable/phone company, and PLENTY more for phone calls or TV subscriptions. So it's about 20$++ total.

Seems like their scheme is - lower the Internet cost and take it elsewere...

They ARE surviving for now, but who knows...

With the new version my download is limited when I set the upload lower then 5.

Unfortunately in Belgium certain providers limit the upload volume to 20% of the download volume.

So, sometimes I have to set the upload lower, but now this affects my download and I can't influence the ratio anymore.

Can this be changed ?

Otherwise I'll have to change programm.

or you can just switch back to 1.3 ;-p

Archived