Read Cache in the new beta

torrentcrazy

I don't understand this obsession with memory. Do you guys know that without a decent read/write cash you are essentailly killing your hard drive? I am a bitcomet user that is reluctantly moving to utorrent becuase bitcomet is being banned everywhere. The primary reason I use bitcomet is for the excellent read/write cash that reduces the load on my hard drive by about 80-90%. I am looking forward to testing the read cache in utorrent. I'd rather use my RAM then trash my hard drive

Unless you're seeding huge files through an extremely fat pipe, the abuse a desktop computer can give a hdd is almost not worth speaking of; defraging does more damage than seeding torrents unless you're pushing out a megabit or more per second. The impact on performance of having your drive heads seeking all over the place while you're trying to do something else is entirely another story though.

And for the love of god, it's called cache, every person with a retarded argument about the cache spells it cash. :P

Unless you have 2GB or more of system RAM, it's NOT recommended to use the read cache in µTorrent. Why? Unlike BitComet, it doesn't bypass the Windows system cache (it may in the future). The system cache can grow up to 960MB. If you wanna take advantage of that, turn off diskio.flush_files

torrentcrazy: unless Firon has put it in the FAQ, go to this thread for info regarding bt.send_have_to_seed

Do you mean the thread I'm currently writing in now, "Read Cache in the new beta"? Or did you forget to post a link to another thread? I was a little confused by that ICleolion, maybe cuz I'm kinda slow :lol: daahhh.

1c3d0g yeah i know that u said DON'T

but that's the human nature :) if somebody says don't do it u probably should :) (cigarettes and drugs are not included :P - fuck that shit :P)

i don't know if it does reduce the noise.. probably it doesn't.. using so much page file memory makes me think that the disk activity is really high.. my PF is capped to 768mb so maybe it could take even more if it wasn't capped

Archived