firewall

dynamite_0916

im using winxp firewall and im okay with it. but im having prob using my utorrent with winxp firewall. When i try to disable winxp firewall my utorrent is working just fine (UPnP OK) but when i try to enable it im getting NAT error. I tried to use exception and open my port both TCP and UDP but unfortunately its no good. Im always using utorrent and i dont want to disable winxp and put my computer at risk just to be able to run utorrent properly. Any suggestion to configure winxp firewall to get NAT OK/ UPnP OK without totally diasbling it.

Well, if you don't have UPnP Framework allowed, µTorrent can't use UPnP to map a port through your router = not connectable.

If you don't open µTorrent's listen port, then you won't be connectable anyway since even though a path is mapped through the router the connection dies at the firewall... You should allow both.

Ok, slight update from my previous post Norton Personal Firewall 2007 (maybe 2008) will be none other than sygate personal firewall. As I thought and prayed for, they just bought out what's probably the best (performance wise, not counting features) firewall they could find since there's was such a pos.

I recommend both a software and hardware firewall (= router most of the time).

I think it isn't enough with a hardware firewall because

there are things only a software firewall can do.

if XP sp2 firewall has suddenly changes, it does the same things as a router does,

so it is not a good choice of software firewall, you can skip it and

only use the router if you don't want to use a proper software firewall.

I recommend as a software firewall either Look'n'Stop or SecurStar comming firewall SecurWall.

As for a router, well, I don't have one because I have been to lazy to get one.

But it shouldn't be cheap and it should not be a D-Link.

The one pro of a software firewall, is being able to see what connections are coming to and from your box. But if you install clean applications, stay away from dodgy websites, and keep your Windows Updates up-to-date, you shouldn't have much of a worry.

Though, in the past, I had good luck with Outpost Pro, but it is an advanced firewall, involving lots of rules to truely make it "stealth" (rather than just adding an application to the trusted zone, and letting anything come in and go out with a blind eye).

GRC.com is a good source of security related information when it comes down to choosing your security. Steve Gibson is a genius when it comes to that stuff. His podcast is pretty neat too. Lots of information available.

Sure, if you use common sense you can avoid most things,

but you can still get viruses and spywares even if you are careful.

Plus hackers can hack through the router so a software firewall that can

handle programs internet acces can protect you from the hacker using it for example.

There are more reason, just don't want to write and essay on this :P

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend Outpost Pro from Agnitum.

www.agnitum.com

I use it with uTorrent with no problems. The best thing about it, that it has a simple and logic GUI and puts you in total control of what is going on on your PC. It is very low on resource and with a fair pricetag.

Earlier you had to set up a lot of rules in Outpost. In the new version 3.5 most of the rules are made for you, so all you need is to fire it up.

Norton and ZoneAlarm are baby toys compared to Outpost.

Archived