Setting uTorrent as default .torrent download program in Firefox.

negative

Once I moved the utorrent.exe in a different location I am unable to open uTorrent (or set is as a default program) on Firefox. I either have to save to disk or create another path. Is there any way I can set uTorrent as the default program? I already tried looking at the "Downloads" option in Firefox, there is nothing there.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

In µTorrent, Options/Preferences, at the General Options dialogue, at the bottom center, Windows Intergration, reset the association with 'associate with torrent files. FF will take whatever is the default. make sure in the Folder Options that your folders are all in order there. You are good to go.

You could just click click on a .torrent link, select Open With and "Browse..." from the drop-down menu. Find µTorrent, and it should open with it automatically from then on. You can manage such associations by going to Tools: Options: Downloads: View & Edit Actions (FF 1.5.0). I believe it's just at Tools: Options: Downloads for previous versions of FF.

-Ares

@splintax: Actually there were several posts about Opera & FF. Firon evidently deleted all the ones that were only part of the "browser war" and edited the comments that actually had some on-topic information. Notice how my comment was edited by him?

-Ares

@Nefarious: I used the IETab extension with my unnamed browser to render the page using IE. I saw a small ad underneath my image. When you use the "show a friend" link from ImageShack, it has one underneath your image (and the little frog), evidently.

-Ares

• 7 months later...

On 2006-01-24 23:21:53 Ares wrote:

You could just click click on a .torrent link, select Open With and "Browse..." from the drop-down menu. Find µTorrent, and it should open with it automatically from then on. You can manage such associations by going to Tools: Options: Downloads: View & Edit Actions (FF 1.5.0). I believe it's just at Tools: Options: Downloads for previous versions of FF.

Sorry to dust off an old thread but I have a small annoyance and this is the closest thing I could find by google to discuss it. I currently use uTorrent 1.6 with Firefox 1.5.0.6. However every time I click on a .torrent link on a web page firefox presents me with the "You have chosen to open .. which is a: TORRENT file""What should Firefox do with this file?" dialogue. uTorrent is already associated as the default program for .torrent files and works well otherwise. Firefox has no trouble remembering the default action for other file types. When this dialogue appears the box for "Do this automatically for files like this from now on." is already checked but the dialogue appears every time I click on a .torrent link anyway.

I have tried changing the action to specifically open uTorrent instead of with the default program (which displays as uTorrent). I have tried removing the action in the firefox setup. I have tried uninstalling, deleting directories, and reinstalling both firefox and uTorrent. I have spoken with several other people online who observe the same behavior, and I have observed this behavior on Windows XP, 2003, and Vista so I do not think the problem is unique to my setup.

I suspect this is a bug in firefox however I am unable to find any discussion about it on firefox related forums. Is anyone able to have firefox automatically pass .torrent files to uTorrent without the aforementioned "What should Firefox do with this file?" dialogue?

If I remove TORRENT from windows filetype list, then remove TORRENT from firefox's download action list.. and then click on a .torrent link (for testing purposes I am randomly selecting any torrent on mininova.org) I receive the "What should firefox do with this file?" dialogue as expected. If I then browse to uTorrent, check the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on.", and click OK the file passes to uTorrent. However the next time I click on a .torrent link (it can be the same link or any other mininova link) I am again presented with the dialogue. What is really odd is that in this dialogue the "Do this automatically.." box is already checked so firefox on some level is remembering my previous selection however it is not acting on it.

If I try this same procedure again but click the "Associate with .torrent files" button I reach the same result however uTorrent is listed as the default application.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is a late reply but I just came to this forum while searching something else.

1. Go to where you keep your torrent files.

2. Right click on a file.

3. Go to 'Open With'.Click 'Choose Default Program'.A box will open.

4. Find uTorrent and click it.Make sure 'Always use the selected program to

open this kind of file' is checked.

5. Click OK and you should be all set.

If uTorrent is not in the box then click 'Browse'.

Find uTorrent under 'Programs' and click it.

Touch the uTorrent icon.(The image of it will appear at the bottom of the box).

Move to the right and click 'Open'.Then proceed as above.

(When you first right click the file and you get an image that shows the program the torrents have

been opening with click 'Change' then continue.)

I hope this helps anyone with this problem.

Archived