FireFox 1.5.0.1 has been released now :)

boo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very user-unfriendly at configuring, And i just couldnt stand the layout of the program even after trying to customize it to my liking for an hour or so. I just cant bring myself to stand the way opera looks (And i used ie \ use firefox as is more or less, without any UI changes).

By the way, I'm noticing alot more 'stuttering' with 1.5.0.1 then 1.5, Not sure why. Guess i'll have to wait for IE7 for a good browsing experience ;]

Heh a lot of people like things working out of the box the way they're used to, so anything unfamiliar and difficult to change, they'll dislike it. I personally like Opera -- especially its ability to hide the menus when I don't need it. Too bad petty things get complained about (not targetting anyone in general ;P). Just like how almost every reviewer pokes and complains about Ubuntu being brown instead of the blue they're used to or its odd adjective-animal naming scheme (such petty complaints). Well, gotta live with it =P

@miffo: Heh extensions can make it so though. And even though you might say that it's an extension, extensions are what many people love Firefox for, so it is essentially Firefox =P

@1c3d0g: What do you mean by the tab thingy works backwards?

@chaosblade: I agree, the Preferences dialog is odd, and could be designed better.

whats your problem? if you compare it with opera which had it for ages its not even close

you cannot minimize tabs, if you close one you dont get the last one you browsed etc etc..

It basically dont act like a real MDI application.

And contrary to someone else i dont make up lies...

Ultima: when you click on "Open all folder items" (to open your bookmarked links in new tabs), when you close the tab you're currently on (let's say the second tab), it immediately jumps to the last tab instead of the one next to it (the third tab)! Extremely annoying. :/ Granted, I haven't mucked around enough in the Options to see if I could change it, but that's just one of the many quirks Opera has that irritates me. I've also spent hours eliminating what seems to be endless search bars, useless buttons etc. from the GUI...and it still doesn't look right. The preferences window is also extremely counter-intuitive, it confuses the hell out of me. I know Firefox isn't perfect and am well-aware of its short-comings, but Opera is just not for me, sorry. And please don't take it as trolling, I'm merely stating my own personal opinion (which you've wanted to hear). Feel free to disagree. :|

Peace. :)

lol what makes you think I'd think you were trolling? Was it because I joked about the foobar2000 trolling thing before? xD

Anyway, yeah, Opera's jumps to the last tab you were viewing before this last closed tab, and I don't think it can be changed. The Opera tabs aren't configurable enough. I used to use TBE (ugh, the buggy huge thing) on Mozilla/Firefox because of the amazing amount of features, but ended up just surviving on Firefox's built in tab preferences (extremely lacking). But after Tab Mix just recently reached 0.3.x, it has become my favorite, having all the options I could ever need, without all the bugs.

• 1 month later...
Not ugly, splintax. Not friendly. I've spent at least an hour trying to customize things around to match my liking (locations of bars etc)

Opera actually behaves the correct and logical way: Standard MDI dictates that when you close a tab it should jump to the previously active. This was the standard long before tabbed browsers came along. And the tab bar should be outside the address bar since the address bar is local to all pages.

Opera is not "unfriendly", it just does it differently (and correctly, if I might add). That doesn't make it "unusable" either, since it's possible to change all these things.

Actually, some would say that relying on untested third party code (extensions) for features makes Firefox "unusable"...

worbd: I don't care what the "standard" says about closing tabs and how it should jump (though I do care about Web Standards, but that's a different matter entirely), the way Opera works *right now* is back-asswards, to say the least. :/ When you close a tab, it should jump to the next one, and not the last one. If you prefer it that way, at least make it an option to choose the tabbing behaviour. That's all. :)

the way Opera works *right now* is back-asswards

Er, no, it isn't actually. It's the way programs have behaved for many years. It is 100% predictable and logical. It is Firefox which has broken this behavior. And indeed, Mozilla is planning to change this in Firefox 2.0 or so.

But it is possible to change it into the broken and non-standard Firefox way. These actions can be set for any keyboard shortcut or button:

Close page & Switch to previous page

Close page & Switch to next page

Try the shortcut editor in the prefs and you can make Ctrl+W do this instead of going to the previously active tab. Or create a button to do it.

I will admit that the Opera preferences window is a little confusing. I have no idea why they created the advanced section. Sigh...

However, I have a few answers for most of the other comments:

the tab thingy works back-asswards, and the memory leaks are worse than Firefox.

Maybe for you, but the overwhelming majority of users with memory leak problems in FF have had them "solved" by using Opera. In fact, this is the first instance I've heard of an Opera memory leak...

lol, FF dont even have a real tabbed interface yet

Incorrect, it does have a tabbed interface (TDI) but not a true MDI (multiple document interface). Like others have said, the way Firefox works is non-standard and Opera is "more correct" here. However, the important thing is for the software to work the way you want it to, and Opera lets you choose from several tabbing modes. Look at Preferences -> Advanced. Change "cycle in recently used order" to "cycle in tab bar order". There is a way to skip the little tab preview dialog, but it slips my mind right now. Personally, I use CTRL+Tab to switch through tabs like alt+tab (multitasking-wise, not just in order like FF does it) but I use mouse gestures to tab from left to right like I would in FF.

1c3d0g, I understand what you're saying, but FF is the one that is "back-asswards" here, not Opera. Just look at ALT+Tab. I think you would find FF's option annoying if you had started off using FF instead of Opera (like me). I guess you don't use Alt+Tab much though.

Archived