Warning: utorrent is freeware...?

Carbone

Hi,

today i get a warning popup for the first time when utorrent starts:

"utorrent is freeware! if you paid for this program, please get a refund from your credit card company, you have been scammed. Please send an email to ludde@utorrent.com explaining exactly which website that charged you money for this software."

Why does this message appear? I don't have paid anything for utorrent.

Thanks.

Carbone

Like I said, and so it begins. ;)

Ludde, the dev of µT, likes to put little timed messages in µT. Last one was around Xmas, when people started freaking out, "OH MY GOD MY COMPUTER STARTED PLAYING XMAS MUSIK!!!111". It's not a bug, not a virus, not anything to worry about, it's just a timed window that everyone saw, that told people about not paying for µT. I'm sure people have paid for it - if they've paid for a rebranded Shareaza (I've seen it myself), people will surely sell another popular client like µT.

So just chill. If you didn't buy it from someone, you're OK.

How did I know people would freak out about this? :rolleyes:

that's actually something only found in µ and I want to take advantage of this thread to thank Ludde for caring and using even more time to wish us a merry christmas or warn pple of potential abuse

once again, he proves how munch his torrent client deserves the N°1 place!

Ludde: it's a pleasure to use your software! :)

Got it today out of nowhere. The wording is a bit scary, because if you don't read it carefully, you see the words "you have been scammed!". My first thought was I had some sort of spyware. Maybe tone down the wording a bit and don't use the word "Warning"? Or change from a popup to a scrolling status bar alert, kind of like Azureus does with its update messages?

Wow users will never cease to amaze me. All you have to do is read the message and there is no confusion. But either people are too dumb or too lazy to do that. I can see know why corporate upgrades with new features affecting so many users are held off on for so long. Because of this exact effect.

Archived