Opera 9 Technical Preview 2 / Opera Labs

splintax

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like I said......two forum members, three opinions :P but im an extension wh0r3 like 1c3d0g and I am too addicted to a few of them to switch over but they ARE doing a good job with 0pera and after I spent the better part of an hour poking and prodding I got it to look pretty dangone good but I never thought FF looked all that great anyway....RIP and NoScript I love too much to let go ATM.....but the built-in mouse gestures rock bigtime.

Btw why are there less extensions for Opera than FF?

Edit: May someone tell me what's the shortcut to opening a new tab when entering text in the search window on Tp2?

It used to be clicking on ctrl + shift + enter. Strangely ctrl + shift + paste and go still works

Opera even has extensions? I see it has toolbars, shortcuts, and other small changes on their site, but i see no real extensions\plugins for it.

After messing it from a clean install for 5mins i got it to look and behave somewhat more to my liking. BSH - I dont call having an extra bar to copy stuff you cant move to user friendly. Its just a cheap trick around the fact they didnt give you a way to organize all the toolbars in order.

After using opera for a few hours i still couldnt get over some little quirks it has.

I much prefer the way firefox handles feeds (live bookmarks, shows you just the headers) - which is different from about ANY rss feed reader on the planet. Guess its just my taste. I also get annoyed by the border opera adds to tabs (no BSH, NOT the panel which i turned off immediatly). There are some more quirks i was annoyed about, small stuff, but overall, those small things are what makes the experience. Im not by any chance a die hard FF fan, but its the best browser i can get now, in terms of personal usability. Im looking forward to testing IE7 and perheps even Opera10 is it solves any of my issues.

No, Opera doesn't really have extensions... unless you're talking about the new widget thingies...

@BlackLion: Heh I meant the Opera beta has some Content Blocker. I haven't really tested it, but was speculating that maybe it'd be possible to make it whitelist sites to allow Javascript... like NoScript.

Opera won't have extensions for the same reason µT doesn't - kills efficiency and exposes part of the code (obviously not a problem for FF). UserJS provides almost the same functionality in most cases, IMO.

splintax: that addition of +anything is automatically stripped by an increasingly large number of sites.

Can I gather from your post that currently Opera doesn't support the full capabilities of Gmail manager?

Basically, yes you can. I had thought that Gmail worked flawlessly in Opera 9 TP2, but there's still a couple of problems (after a while, I can't click on stuff, but it might just be me). And I have noticed that +anything doesn't always work. :(

I'll grab a few screenshots when I get the chance.

Congratulations, but argh, what have you done to my beloved Opera? :P Personally I really like the default interface. I'm not sure how to move the address bar to where it is in FF, but other than that, I have to say that for someone who's not used to FF, at least from my view, Opera is much more "customizable" than FF, toolbar-wise. After all, you can make Opera look like FF (eventually) but it's a lot harder to make FF look like Opera ;)

As for that site on "Firefox Myths", I did something similar a while back - hopefully you'll find that less biased, hofshi. There's also an interesting list of Opera innovations over at the unofficial Opera Wiki. As for the article itself, when I first started reading it, I agreed with it, but it gets worse as you go on. A lot of that is utter bullshit, and this is coming from someone who HATES the Firefox myths going around (like Firefox is revolutionary, Firefox is the first with tabbed browsing etc).

And finally, chaosblade, I don't know about the 1px border, but a lot of people complain about it. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but there may be a way to turn it off... :/

I think it's hard to make a business out of an Open Source program, especially a browser. People will compile it themselves and release it for free for the rest of us, so I'm guessing that's why they won't go Open Source anytime soon. Maybe that could change if they establish very long-term contracts with a lot of Fortune 500 companies, foreign government agencies etc. :/

I don't think they ever really made much business out of the desktop market anyhow. Their money mostly came (if I'm not mistaken) from the mobile browser market. And whether they open source it or not, they're still not making any business off the desktop browser, so I don't think that's really the matter at hand =T

But did yall hear about Mozilla creating a seperate part of their business for profit? Its to help with something I cant remember right now.

I remember now :)http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/08/32NNmozilla_1.html

(most tech stuff I hear about or read is in mags. So I gotta try and find the mag it was in or hope google helps me out.)

Edit: U fast Ultima...lol

Yeah, but it's mostly so that they could deal with corporations properly. Organizations/Foundations can't (that I forgot the reason for).

Edit: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7085

The creation of the Mozilla Corporation should eliminate some of the thorny legal and tax issues that have been caused by the revenue-generating potential of Firefox and Thunderbird. The Mozilla Corporation will now handle all relationships with commercial companies and its status should allow more flexibility in this area. It is hoped that the income from the Mozilla Corporation will help the Mozilla project (including both the Foundation and the Corporation) to be more self-supporting, though donations will still be welcome.

Archived