Opera 9 Technical Preview 2 / Opera Labs

splintax

Opera's desktop browser has some real advantages over other browsers, mostly in the speed of its engine, and I'm sure that a lot of that is implemented in their real monetizing products (mobile). I don't think they want to give that info away, and besides, going open-source really doesn't have all that many benefits, especially for a program as mature as Opera with as many active, paid developers.

/me has gotten out of the OS fanboy stage - Opera, µTorrent, MS Office anybody?

edit: thanks for the link Ultima, I didn't know Opera was doing weeklies now. :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but I'm too used to Tab Mix's tab management features. If they'd implement *at least* some kind of "Focus [left/right/previous] tab on current tab close" feature (and I guess pick up some other Tab Mix features while at it)...

I eat my own words... I just found out on the Opera forums that you can do this... For anyone who's wondering how... (ignore quotes, they're just there for deliniation)

Preferences (Ctrl+F12) > Shortcuts > Keyboard setup > Edit > Search "close"

Next to "w ctrl" double-click "Close page, 1" and add " & Switch to next page" (Close page, 1 & Switch to next page). Press enter twice, and make sure it's there after the textbox closes (it was a little fidgety... don't know why). Do the same with "F4 ctrl" (if you want it to be have in the same way).

As for the Ctrl+Tab... search for "tab ctrl" and replace each one's actions with "Switch to next page" and "Switch to previous page" respectively for it to work normally (Ctrl+Tab goes to right while Ctrl+Shift+Tab goes to left).

Confirm all dialogs (OK or whatever). =]

Edit: I think I'm switching back to Opera... after discovering the tab stuff... Doing a side by side test of opening a bookmark folder of 19 tabs and having one other page open on another window, Opera manages to keep its memory usage down at 30MB while Firefox is at 90MB. I have no clue why this wasn't the case before when I made my switch to Firefox... lol I'm a fickle user xD

Thanks. That's always the case with Opera. Anytime I think they can't do something, some user out there shows me how. Guess I better check the Opera forums more often.

Anyone know how to turn the Opera voice into a female and a child? All I get is the male voice.

Edit: Why would you prefer ctrl + tab over numpad 1 & 2? Just curious as to what advantage two buttons have over using 1 button.

Hm... can't really help with voice, since I don't use it. Sorry. As for that Ctrl+Tab thing... it's just a thing with familiarity for people. I use 1 and 2 also (doesn't have to be numpad, can be just the regular numbers above the letters), but people were complaining before, if I'm not mistaken. Solution =]

And um... about the NoScript thing that BlackLion (I think) mentioned before... I think you can allow content on a whitelist basis... a la NoScript. At least it appears so -- I haven't actually tested it yet, will get back to you on that.

Now i think i gotta give Opera a try. Using tabs appz or browser shells for IE does the same thing as opening a fresh instance of IE: eat up memory. By doing right click on link and "Open in New Window" helps a lil, but I be up to 40MB by the 3-4 window. 19 tabs at 30 MB?? Nice. Opera the uTorrent of the browsers, huh? (as far as mem usage):P

Damn, Im at 47MB as we speak on ONE window....I need tabs bad....

One thing to note is that I'm working on a content whitelist basis... meaning Javascript, Java, and other plugins (Flash, etc) are disabled by default... but then again, NoScript was supposed to have done that too... Which leads into the real point of this post... I confirmed that you can work with whitelisting like in NoScript. Wee Opera =]

Heh, yeah, Opera is awesome. It has its little internal scripting engine, I don't know all the details of it, but some people at the Opera forums do, and you can get it to do (in combination with UserJS) a lot of the stuff in Firefox extensions (without the bloat!).

At the moment, all I really use it for is to customize my mouse gestures. For those who are interested (yeah, right :P) I use the following gestures:

FlipBack -> Back

FlipForward -> Forward

(FlipBack means holding down the right mouse button, then hitting the left.. sounds complicated, but it's really fluid once you get used to it :D FlipForward is the opposite.)

GestureDown, GestureRight -> Close page

GestureDown, GestureLeft -> Unclose page (in case you accidentally close it, this is a freakin' godsend..)

GestureUp, GestureDown -> Hide Opera (minimize to the tray)

GestureLeft -> Switch to previous page - this means "tab across one tab to the left"

GestureRight -> Switch to next page - this means tab across to the right.

I use CTRL+Tab to switch between tabs in "most recently accessed" order, just like ALT+Tab in Windows. I also use right-click + scroll for that (with thumbnails! :D).

You can do the same sort of full customization with keyboard shortcuts, there are literally hundreds of commands you can use... :D

Anyone know how to turn the Opera voice into a female and a child?

:|

Why would you prefer ctrl + tab over numpad 1 & 2?

CTRL+Tab is easier to reach if you always have your hand in that area of the keyboard. Also, a lot of people use laptops, and it's irritating to get used to desktop shortcuts then have to do things the long way when you're working on a laptop...

<3 opera

• 2 weeks later...
Meh, I've just tried it on a few sites, and it still doesn't render stuff properly. :| Like BeyondUnreal. In Firefox, the background is "dynamic", so even when you scroll down the page, it "follows" you. But in Opera the background is "glued" to the top and doesn't "move" at all. Just a minor glitch I know (and yes Firefox has its own quirks), but it irritates me.

This is not Opera's fault at all! It actually omits the stuff that's needed when it detects Opera 9. Go to the site in Opera 9.0, right-click and select "site preferences", then go to the network tab and set the browser identification dropdown to mask as mozilla. Reload the page and it suddenly works fine.

The site seems to be actively targeting Opera 9 to break it or something...

True, but you will find that overwhelmingly the problem is with the site. Not just poorly-coded sites, but there are a large number of sites that still send Opera broken code as a relic from Opera 6 and below - back then, the rendering engine wasn't very good. This stigma has stuck with it even though Opera 7 was released with the new rendering engine in 2003. :/

I've been a Opera user for around 5 years now I think. Not really sure about the exact timeframe. It's always been a great browser. I've had a few "timeouts" where I switched to Firefox but in the end after a week or 2 I always came back to Opera.

This latest version shows that they are still improving, and bringing in new ideas. While Firefox imo is kind of at a little slower pace. Not to mention that Opera is still a way smaller download (and always was). I'm not really liking the widgets and probably will never use them but it's nice to know they're there and I can see it being useful if sites can make their own widgets that you can download and well .. play around with.

Firefox on the other hand has extensions. The great myth of having everything available. Whatever you want, just find a extension for it. Well that might be true, but what I like in Opera is that everything is already there. I don't need anything. I don't need to upgrade extensions every time I upgrade Firefox. Neither do I need to wait until all extensions are upgraded before upgrading so some don't break.

Anyway both browsers are good, and both have more than enough people that use them (obviously Firefox is on the edge here at the moment).

LMAO...careful Chaosblade, remember, these are Opera people, not our enemy IE... ;)

Edit: I have some good news. :) It appears that with Build 8265, I can see the BeyondUnreal site without masking Opera as Mozilla. So it looks like the "Report a site problem..." button does indeed work! :D Having said that though, for many other reasons, I will stay with Firefox for now...unless a speedier browser comes along. This doesn't mean I hate Opera, it's still a great browser, just not for me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a Firefox fanboy until around about when they released the first release candidate for version 1.5. I tried Opera 8.5, and the speed of it won me over alone. Even with Firetune, FF was nowhere near as quick as Opera was (at least for me). I had to sacrifice the extension capabilities of FF, but in the end I think I chose the better browser.

The Opera 9 Tech Preview 2 is great, I don't really use widgets at the moment or the intergrated bittorrent facilites (which has the bare minimum in features), but some of the other new stuff is great. Opera all the way.

It's funny, though, how Opera manages to pack all this power into a smaller download than Firefox without making it cluttered the way Firefox gets when you add extensions, and without sacrificing speed (Opera is faster than Firefox, and faster yet if you start adding extensions to Firefox).

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

Splintax writes: "personally I have .torrents set to transparently redirect to µTorrent, it doesn't even maximize from the systray when adding a new torrent". Could you - or someone else - please tell me how to do this?

I'm a big fan of Opera and uTorrent (both are my 'defaults') - but I cannot get the two to work together! Yes, I went to "opea:config" and disabled Bittorrent - however, as a consequence, I cannot access Bittorrent at all (just get error messages when I tried to download bittorent files - "syntax" error, or something like that). Furthermore, I cannot download 'normal' (non-bittorrent) files unless I right-click each individual file ("save target as").

Any ideas as to what is going on? Maybe a fresh re-install of Opera?

cheers,

itsonlydanny

hehe, thats and old thread!!!

anyway, you don't have to dissable bittorrent in Opera, you have to change the default action for .torrent files in Opera.

Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Downloads > untick "hide file types..." , fint torrent > Edit and change it to whatever you want ("Open with default application" should do the trick)

Hi Alpha-Toxic,

I couldn't get the Edit function to work on my last post - so had to write another one. No, as I suspected, no luck. I get the 'download file' (confirmation) box, which has uTorrent named/listed as the application (to use). However, when I press "save" it flips back to Opera ("transfers"). Hang on - blinding flash - that's where I've been going wrong (stupid! Doh!), I've been pressing "save" instead of "open", right ...?

cheers,

itsonlydanny

Archived