uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

Hi Rafi. Thanks for all your help. I have a fibre connection with 300mbps download and upload speed.

Can I use your file and just change the upload limit, and the slots etc? If so, set it to 34 560, and then what should I set the number of connections etc?

Do I have to change any other settings in your file to deal with the high speeds? 

Yes, this is the whole point...

I'd set the UL limit to 30000, connections to ~500/torrent,  2000 global, slots - 100, # active torrents - 10. test with - CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-Everything.torrent

I believe you should  expect speeds of about ~15MB/s at the most with the current release.

Edited by rafi

Thanks Rafi! Tried the values you suggested with the test torrent and my DL speed went up to 30 MB/s!

Never had such high speed before. I just recently switched to Fibre so was shocked to see such speed.

However, Disk Overload 100% was in the bottom taskbar. It didn't affect the DL speed though. Should I still follow your suggestions in your first post regarding the disk overload message, since it didn't affect the speed.

WOW, 30MB? The max possible speed with your connection is 37M, right? So it is very good, and exceeds my expectations ... :) Probably the fact that the line is symmetric - has to do with it. 

It can be interesting to see if you can seed fast too (this torrent is not suitable, you need a new & popular one...) . Can you upload your screenshot with those results?

What build/version are you using? Come to think of it, this "overload" @30M might be the actual real bottleneck for you with that high speed. What HD are you using? Test it with some random writes test (crystal?) , this might be just the max  it can bare... ;p

>Should I still follow your suggestions in your first post regarding the disk overload message

If you are using my settings file - there is no need. It supposes to be implemented in it.

Edited by rafi

• 1 month later...

Edit the file using BEncode utility, and you'll surely manage to find out by youself

I tried that and it's extremely bad with large files, simply crashing and unable to edit it property.

Do you have email of author? I want to ask him to write translator from that format to xml and back.

Like for ReGet downloader - all it's config in xml format, simply and editable in any text editor.

• 3 months later...

I'm not going to update to the latest version, since everytime I do it locks up and crashes due to bugs you have never resolved. Older versions work, but this Disk Cache problem is freezing my computer.

You only say "Upgrade to the latest" and "Use my configs".

I'm not going to upgrade to a broken version when mine is stable, and I'm not going to download some config file I can't review first.

Why not tell us what the settings are? Why insist we use the latest version when it has more issues and does not fix the issue we have? What's your game?

Someone with some advice besides Rafi?

Where is the rest of your help guide? For some reason it isn't all here and I'd like to see more of it and get some help. I'm having problems with my uTorrent downloading and things aren't working right. This is the end of the post for which I am hoping to get help from as soon as I can find out where the rest of it is....

O. Quick fix/"install"...
Well, you can skip reading my guide, get my example settings.dat file (link2), rename it to settings.dat, and:
(Note: This will%

That's it....it just stops there. Please help.

I've checked and checked and looked at all the links and everything but I still can't see the rest of the original first post. I've even uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it and still it stops at the same spot...

O. Quick fix/"install"...
Well, you can skip reading my guide, get my example settings.dat file (link2), rename it to settings.dat, and:
(Note: This will%

Am I not doing something right? or am I just a huge dumbass that can't figure it out. I feel that I'm the last one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to Sky Fibre (40Mb) and I'm now looking to maximise my download speed so I'm hoping you guys can help me do it.

Using Rafis settings file and Switeks Conservative Settings Chart to tweak upload rate, slots etc. I'm currently achieving speeds between 3.5 - 4.0 MB/s on the Slackware test torrent but I feel that this is still a bit too slow.

I've ran several speed tests and concluded that my average download speed is 34.5 Mbps and upload speed is 9.0 Mbps.

The settings (let me know if you need more information) I've chose are in the below screenshots.

I'm hoping someone can review them to see if I've set utorrent up correctly.

UI Settings

post-384584-0-80792500-1433671601_thumb.

Connection Settings

post-384584-0-59413600-1433671656_thumb.

Bandwidth Settings

post-384584-0-62112700-1433671695_thumb.

Queueing Settings

post-384584-0-18892000-1433671741_thumb.

Your help would be appreciated.

I'm currently achieving speeds between 3.5 - 4.0 MB/s on the Slackware test torrent but I feel that this is still a bit too slow.

I've ran several speed tests and concluded that my average download speed is 34.5 Mbps and upload speed is 9.0 Mbps.

So getting your connection's rated speed is something you feel is "a bit too slow"?

I guess you need to pay for a better internet connection then, as 4mbyte/sec is all you're going to get on your current one.

Using Rafis settings file and Switeks Conservative Settings Chart to tweak upload rate, slots etc. I'm currently achieving speeds between 3.5 - 4.0 MB/s

4MB/s*8bits/byte=32Mbps... You might want to try my settings file to get 20% more...

Edited by rafi

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen people posting about experiencing big delays in flushing to disk, even when they have an SSD.

I thought to take a moment and post the solution to these issues that I have found to work 100% for me.

(Specifically, this is for when you have an SSD as the drive you are writing to as the target for uTorrent)

As the write speed of your SSD is greater than the speed of your download, you don't use cache at all.

Go into Advanced Settings and change the value of "diskio.all_writes_sync" to true, as shown below.

Next, change "diskio.coalesce_writes" to false. Fragmentation is not an issue on the SSD.

Lastly, go to the Disk Cache dialog and disable (uncheck) disk write caching, as shown below, then select OK.

Exit and restart uTorrent in order to ensure the new settings are in effect, and you should be all set.

These settings will cause uTorrent to immediately write data to the SSD, with no flushing delays.

post-386887-0-01189000-1434658353_thumb.

post-386887-0-80312100-1434666835_thumb.

Edited by Wentil

• 2 weeks later...

4MB/s*8bits/byte=32Mbps... You might want to try my settings file to get 20% more...

Nice one rafi :)

This is something a lot of people are getting confused with - bits and Bytes.

Your formula is somewhat simplistic but illustrates the point nicely.

Quite simply, unless otherwise advertised, internet speeds sold by ISP's are in Kilo(K) or Mega(M) bit speeds.

uT settings and some speed tests show in Byte speeds.

From my ancient days when 1200 baud was considered fast (yeah, I know, I'm really really old) when I was writing bespoke comms software, for each byte sent there are control overheads of start and stop bits as well as parity bits - and that doesn't count packet wrappings, checksums, acks and naks (two varieties), routing info, transport layer info (needed/controlled by the OS) and other such stuff bundled with each and every "lump" sent and received anywhere.

On top of all that, there are traffic/monitoring packets used to maintain handshakes and continuity (software transport overhead).

Things these days are sooo much faster than the old days (remember teletype dial-up speeds?? :blink:) and people forget just how much is actually happening behind the scenes, but data handling is still very much the same.... just faster.

In reality, converting bps (bits per second) to Bps (bytes per second) is a little more complicated than just dividing by 8 bits per byte. What I found was that it's more like counting 10 or 11 bits per byte to encompass most of the transport overhead in sending/receiving info over any sort of remote connection. For simplicity with numbers (doing the maths in your head), a whole order of magnitude (order of 10) isn't too far wrong.

And an easy way to remember whether it's bits or bytes you're talking about is: little "b" is bits, bigger "B" is bytes.

So, to answer ptammaro's confusion, a 40Mb/s connection is going to yeild around 4MB/s (divide by 10) at absolute max with everything connecting cleanly and running perfectly smoothly. He says he is getting 3.5-4.0 :blink:

As DreadWing noted, that is pretty much the best he can hope for. :P

A bit too slow??? Nope, not at all. Jeeez, many people would just love a nice clean and almost perfect connection to get pretty much the max from it. Most people would be happy at reaching 90% or more from their max advertised speeds.

It's interesting you should say that rafi, but looking at what a network monitor shows and what uT shows as traffic seem to disagree by quite a considerable margin.

In the beginning, the uT traffic cap behaves itself and the payload is usually just under the cap.

After a while (in my screen-shot, it's been active for almost 90 hours) the payload creeps up to beyond the cap for a significant part of the time. In my running of uT, my upload cap is set at 10KB when downloading and 20KB when only seeding (my upload speed is really crap).

As you can see in my screen-shot, my upload payload is always above my 20KB cap.

With the overhead (showing), it is running at almost 24KB consistently (rose to almost 27KB at one point and that's not an isolated incident) - that's almost 20% above my cap and around 15% of my payload (anyone know why? A bug maybe??) :unsure:

post-333443-0-20608900-1435722166_thumb.

Anyways, at the point of screen capture, I hit a dip (presumably uT's traffic managment?) it shows the upload payload at 19KB but with the overhead it's around 22KB.

Now compare that with the network monitor figures at the same time - Up: 25KB, Down: 7.1KB.

That's a 6KB/s difference in what uT says it's using for itself. If you count the overhead, it's only 3KB.

I know my maths is rusty in this tired old brain but that is about 12% above what UT is saying for usage; when you include the overhead and compared to the actual payload (the sort of thing people tend to use for calculations) it comes out at over 30% above uT's transfer figure for total net traffic. :huh:

That would be down to OS transport layer wrappings as well as other packet wrappers needed just to shunt the payload data from A to B.

Simple 8 bits per byte??? Nope, it's more like 10.5 bits per byte to include total traffic calculations - and that's just one side of the equation.

Considering most people's ISP's aren't going to give away free speed, if they say 20Mb/s or 40Mb/s etc, that's usually the absolute best under ideal test conditions. The most common complaint amongst users is that they don't actually get the speeds advertised.

I don't know how it runs in the US or anywhere else, but the ISP I use here in the UK, anything uploading compounds anything downloading and vice-versa. I have a 10Mb ADSL2 line and if I don't seed anything I can pretty much hit 1MB/s (usually 990+Kb/s or thereabouts). If I seed, that hits my download speeds proportionately. In other words, my upload speeds come out of the same total I/O internet pot (10Mb/s) that my download speeds come from - they are not independant. My speeds (measured by the usual Speedtest) tend to be around 9.7 Mb down and barely 1Mb up. If I send a file (upload) at almost my max (1Mb), my best down speed seems to max out at around 8.6 Mb. Maybe they do things differently elsewhere but that's how it works with my ISP here (Orange, or EE as it's now known) - hence the low upload cap. I've tried allowing 30KB but it kills anything else on the 'net (all websites and emails fail to connect) :angry:

Apart from which, I can shift a decimal point much easier in my head than knowing my 8x table beyond 8x12! :lol:

Well, the speeds seem pretty close at my end, with higher speeds. Might be more noticeable at lower speeds. Upload speed is off, so it's a bug....

dc6b94418984378.jpg 81da5e418984382.jpg

Also, you cannot blame any "instability" when your limit is fluctuating all the time. Try with the same limit with and w/o DL first.

Edited by rafi