Error: Insufficient system resources

nakedsheep

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Hello all, this is probably my only post unless I run into a problem again... Just wanted to share my observations.

I had never seen the problem mentioned until a few days ago when I downloaded an 84GB torrent. This is a far bigger torrent compared to my usual downloads.

The solution in post 55 worked for me.

Things I noticed happened:

1. I downloaded the complete torrent, the problems started afterwards.

2. When the problems started they also randomly happened for smaller torrents of about size 5GB.

3. I have never seen it on torrents smaller then 4GB (might be a coincidence, not guaranteed it wont happen).

4. When I got the error I did a force recheck. I got the error message at 31% checked consistently even if I rebooted the machine and could never get the torrent to run again.

5. I do not run any antivirus nor firewall. I know I should have antivirus up, the firewall is on the computer I use as router.

6. I like a clean interface and as few applications running as possible, there could be some interferring, but not relevant as the problem is solved for me.

Atleast for me that makes it related to size, either of the torrent, or the torrents in total. But somehow in combination on how Windows works.

Post 55 links to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078 - As I have no clue what the value actually does I suggest setting it to 14 like the previous poster said if you don't already have it.

This is about changing/adding a setting for IRPStackSize. I am not a coder and don't know protocols that well. But this seems to have something to do with stack size used by windows for handling shared directories. By increasing the value my computer got abit slower, but fortunately my problem also dissapeared.

I am not sure how the stack is used but:

1. All drives are shared as C$ etc. for administrative purposes.

2. Is it possible to deactivate this? I haven't tried, it is 2am and will not try tonight.

3. Is it possible that the windows caching on shared devices has anything to do with this? Is it a good or bad idea to turn it off? Normally I like caching but maybe not neccesary as I can't see why these drives needs to be shared at all?

I am just hoping that this solves the problem for those that still have it and that you awesome developers coding utorrent can make a workaround in a future version =)

My system:

Core2duo 2.66GHz

4GB memory

Windows XP Pro SP3

I don't remember exactly how my system looked when I hade the issue, but I should have had something like 2% CPU usage and 2800MB free memory.

<EDIT> For clarity </EDIT>

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The same happened here the first time with old 1.8.2 (I had poor uploading with every 2.x version I have tried)

When the issue happens I had REALLY exessive hard drive activity and I could not even switch programs as windows did not react (different than "Not responding...").

First I changed diskio.flush = false, did not help. After that the checked IRPStackSize, whch was not definedand put 20 there and everything was ok. So the same fox as in #55 and #81.

I have succesfully processed 90GB torrents, but this time it was 150GB :-)

• 8 months later...

This error occurs after Disk overloaded 100% appears on the utorrent bar. So, if the utorrent download speed is too fast, you better stop any other activity on the computer because it can't keep up. Therefore it can also crashes. So wait until the download is complete, then resume your stuff. Also clean your hard with CCleaner to increase space. I did all that and got rid of that error. (my specs XP SP3 2GB ram 2.5GHz)

Archived