selected files, trackers and temp files

infirmus

When you are only downloading some files out of a torrent:

- Could you make sure that no temp files are created for files that are not selected to be downloaded. I have noticed this behavior in the past, sorry if its already fixed.

- When all the selected files are complete, inform the tracker that you have finished leeching and tell it that you are now seeding. This is the way that BitComet works.

These changes would compliment the upcoming "select files on open" option (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?p=4469#4469), and make utorrent one of the best clients for handling partially downloading torrents.

BTW, i have noticed before that all the files I had selected for a torrent were complete (100%) but the progress for the torrent was still at 99%, dunno if its a bug or already fixed.

The first is not possible due to how BitTorrent works. Some pieces may contain parts of several files, needing to allocate space for those. I believe though that from now on such pieces of skipped files get allocated in a general 'trash' temp file.

The second isnt correct either, as far as i know. I could be wrong here, But i believe BT defines a seed as someone who was the complete copy of the torrent, ALL OF IT :)

Yeah sorry I realise that the complete piece has to be downloaded, what I meant was that no temp files should be created in the download directory.

Yeah not sure what the bittorrent spec actually says, but if u have a look how bitcomet handles downloading only part of a torrent, you will see that the progress reaches 100% when selected files are completed, then it switches to uploading status just like any other torrent that completes. I know it does actually tell the tracker that it is seeding too, its not just in the GUI.

The BitComet system just seems to work really nicely.

• 1 month later...

What makes sense is what the specification says: A seeder is someone with 100% of the file. Not 90%, not 50%, not 99.5%, but 100%. Simple as that.

If you don't like it, download the entire torrent and not screw up piece distribution in the process.

Being reported as a seeder causes MORE problems than its worth because it'll confuse the tracker, and confuse the actual legitimate seeder since he'll think there's 10 other seeds when in reality none of them have the full thing.

Archived