3.5.x Beta

TylerW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dunno what happened, but I'm not pleased.

uTorrent updated automatically to beta 46888. The settings were set to not perform automatic updates, but it happened anyway.

In the process, all my settings were reset. Downloading and downloaded folders changed.
Adverts have returned.
And so on.

Further, I cannot now find any way to prevent further automatic updates.

I won't swear that this works, but these are the ut-sites I have in my hosts file:

0.0.0.0 update.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 ads.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 apps.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 beta.bundles.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 btinstall-artifacts.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 bundles.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 engine.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offer.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offers.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offers-i.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 pr.apps.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 services.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 static.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 update.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 update.utorrent.li
0.0.0.0 utorrent.inspsearch.com
0.0.0.0 raptor.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 remote.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 bench.utorrent.com
0.0.0.0 download3.utorrent.com

and FWIW, I find that 3.5.5.46552 still works very well without any grief.

.46606 is supposed to be identical to 46552 but with an added "never update me"  patch.  If you can not find those versions anywhere anymore I can offer them up...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, javacatpaul said:

I won't swear that this works, but these are the ut-sites I have in my hosts file:

0.0.0.0 update.bittorrent.com

and FWIW, I find that 3.5.5.46552 still works very well without any grief.

.46606 is supposed to be identical to 46552 but with an added "never update me"  patch.  If you can not find those versions anywhere anymore I can offer them up...

1 hour ago, raddyst said:

Make two null-size files (updates & updates.dat with attribute read-only) in %appdata%\uTorrent.

Thanks folks.

I've made these changes.

I've no issue with running an updated - latest beta - version. After all, that's where feedback comes from. I don't make as in-depth use of the application as others but hopefully my occasional input is useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that 3.5.5 build 46606 is the best, the last of the 3.5.5 and probably the end of the line for Utorrent

I know that some of the 3.6 versions are disasters, and that they now auto-update whether you want them to or not - so at any moment, your working Utorrent can just stop working correctly.  3.6x have problems with not downloading and/or not uploading.  

• 2 weeks later...

Why uTorrent is still used? I changed my client to the qBittorrent with full conversation of my profile that I have since 2006. Now I use modern open-source client with fast SQlite database, instant country flag shown, fast and stable connection and no any problem with memory or disk system overloaded.

off topic, but devs should know the answer:  where can I find the algo used to obfuscate the filenames inside the info dictionary of a .torrent file?  [This happens when you do File | Create New Torrent... and check the "create encrypted" box].

I know I have read it somewhere, but can't find it now.  It shd be in a BEP somewhere...  

Also, why is this algo non-repeatable?  If you recreate the identical package then the hashid is still different because the obfuscated names are different.   By design I assume, but why?    Just wondering...thanks.

[one hour later...]  oops, I get it now, duh.  Dumb question.   Still can't find the right BEP tho...

Edited by javacatpaul

On 10/16/2023 at 7:24 AM, HedgehogInTheCPP said:

Why uTorrent is still used? I changed my client to the qBittorrent with full conversation of my profile that I have since 2006. Now I use modern open-source client with fast SQlite database, instant country flag shown, fast and stable connection and no any problem with memory or disk system overloaded.

Honestly for some weird reason everything seems to just connect to it better. I tried switching 100% to qBittorrent a few years back and I lost over half my usual upload. I had some connection issues recently probably the result of upgrade garbage left behind over the years and I managed to sort it with Rafi's stuff. Cheers Rafi!

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, schnurlos said:

3.6 beta build 46920 available.

3.6 stable build 46922 ready to download )

http://llsw.download3.utorrent.com/3.6.0/utorrent.46922.installer.exe

Virustotal - 12 security vendors and no sandboxes flagged this file as malicious

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/a3eb4ccb3265575ecad27583ba614c5d4c4c7436948eb1cfb0b6d326444f445d?nocache=1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else experiencing 46944 GUI not loading on double click from tray? Twice now I've had it just won't load. I remember seeing this issue many many years ago as well.
The process is active and it is transferring. I did a fresh install some weeks back. Can't say I saw these issues with 46884 buit I wasn't running it for long.

Even with the process running the webui wouldn't load either. No issues with qBit which is running alongside it.

Can the devs add the ability to move the torrent files location without us needing to use the BEncode app to do so? Been such a PITA for well over a decade. There's also a strange situation where a torrent is listed as not being able to be loaded for whatever reason (the torrent file is actually where it's supposed to be) and clicking on the torrent file doesn't actually overwrite the settings and it always shows as not being able to load. I actually have to delete the torrent from uTorrent and reload it and copy over individual string values over from bEncode (added, upload, seedtime etc) for an app that's been around this long moving files wihin directories should be a basic release feature.

I think at this point qBittorrent has become the better app in general now and only continues to improve.

Edited by Ryrynz

• 2 weeks later...