3.5.x Beta

TylerW

I think it has been over 3 months since the last version of Utorrent 3.5 was released - and it was functional.

I am not aware of any version of 3.6 that works.

Seems to me that every day that goes by, more and more people are installing a 3.6 version or upgrading to a 3.6 version that is DOA.  

Maybe what they need to do is dump 3.6x entirely, and take the last version of 3.5 and NAME it 3.7 or 4.0, and take baby steps from there.  

3.6x has been such a disaster that I don't trust it. 

It does not upload nor download.   I have read nothing but complaints about it.

HOWEVER..   I have seen ONE person in my peer list using a version of 3.6

Used to be mostly Utorrent, now other clients are used much more.

Those using Utorrent usually use versions 2.2.1, although some use 3.2.3 and some use 3.5.5

I use version 3.5.5   

As I recall, the 3.4x series was a disaster that would spontaneously disassociate the torrents from the files they were associated with.  

One thing I must admit.. those "Trending Videos" are neat, even though I almost NEVER look at them.   If the Trending Videos don't complicate the Utorrent code, I would keep that feature.   I remember a long time ago, Utorrent was loaded with games that were hated by almost everyone. 

I have not noticed Utorrent being tagged as a virus lately, but maybe that is due to the fact that I am using version 3.5.5

At one point, I was forced to start using another client (Qbittorrent) because my antivirus was blocking and removing Utorrent. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, javacatpaul said:

FWIW, today the std beta link is returning 3.6.0.46798

I got it 20.04 :P

Direct link http://ll.download3.utorrent.com/beta/utorrent.46798.installer.exe

I tested the new versions very carefully.

Resume.

3.6 = 3.5.5 = very slow + all old bugs.

No Improvements, no bug fixes.

utorrent needs a complete code rewrite.

Game over :(

• Sad 1

3.5.5 beta build 46606

Seeing some bizarre activity. Downloading a 530Mb file, the download progressed through 0.7%, 0.8% and up to 1.1%. The showed download as having reached 0.7% again.

Download speed is between 60 and 120KB/s and has been sustained for over 20 minutes, yet (now) I have just 0.9% downloaded. The ETA appears to continue coming down, but it is a bit early to get excited about that.

Never seen this before!

21 minutes ago, raddyst said:

May be hashfails in torrent piece, look in logger tab.

Left it for 10 minutes. Came back and download rate appeared the same; suggested 2.1% complete.

And then it finished. Quite literally, I looked away for 30 seconds and it went from 1.9% to completed.

3.5.5 build 46606

Just started seeing a lot of error pop-ups saying:

"The install of C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Temp\uttF1A5.temp failed. (Signer certificate mismatch)"

The actual filename varies slightly but is always of the form 'utt***.tmp'

This seems a recurring issue - while uTorrent is running, it tries to do this on a fairly regular basis.

I'm not aware of a recent update to the software, only Windows 10 updates.

I suspect the official recommendation will be to update the version of uTorrent, but as I said - this has only started happening in the last few days.

OK - this is getting silly.

I've not (yet) updated as per @SergeyQAs suggestion.

Left uTorrent running. Power cut or whatever at some point while I was away. Came back, restarted computer, then uTorrent, and... All torrents are gone. Not just a case of not downloading or whatever - I have no torrents at all. 6 (or so) were there when I left, with at least one actively downloading.

Edited by gjm

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 3:17 AM, gjm said:

OK - this is getting silly.

I've not (yet) updated as per @SergeyQAs suggestion.

Left uTorrent running. Power cut or whatever at some point while I was away. Came back, restarted computer, then uTorrent, and... All torrents are gone. Not just a case of not downloading or whatever - I have no torrents at all. 6 (or so) were there when I left, with at least one actively downloading.

Are the files still on your hard drive, but just not listed in the Utorrent app?  

Did the files ever complete downloading in the first place?

I use Utorrent 3.5.5 46606 quite successfully.  Where did you get your copy of it?  From this site, another site, or from Rafi?  

... and where IS Rafi?  He seems to have vanished shortly after 3.6 came out.   Maybe an alien abduction?  

Edited by joshace

6 hours ago, joshace said:

Are the files still on your hard drive, but just not listed in the Utorrent app?  

Did the files ever complete downloading in the first place?

I use Utorrent 3.5.5 46606 quite successfully.  Where did you get your copy of it?  From this site, another site, or from Rafi?  

(Incomplete) files were on HDD; the torrent had just disappeared from uTorrent.

They'd not completed downloading. I was able to reinstate the magnet and uTorrent picked up on partially completed files, checked them, and continued.

I've only ever used any version of uTorrent from this site. Never from elsewhere!

13 hours ago, joshace said:

... and where IS Rafi?  He seems to have vanished shortly after 3.6 came out.   Maybe an alien abduction?  

I am busy watching all those torrents downloaded over the years... and with a stable/working version ;P

Edited by rafi
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 1:05 AM, rafi said:

I am busy watching all those torrents downloaded over the years... and with a stable/working version ;P

I was forced to install 3.6 build 46822 about half an hour ago, because the EXE file of the final build of 3.5 mysteriously vanished off of my computer.  

are your tweaks still in place? or should I reinstall them?  

Updated to 46812 from 3.5.5 46348, which is running ok.. although qBT still achieves for me many multiple times the download speed (tested same torrent, same download location)
Loaded 46812, waited over a minute or so for UI to become repsponsive after installing (all I wanted to do was close the client to reboot the system) but it didn't, I had to terminate the app by force because it was taking too long. Restarted the PC, uT still had UI not responding. went back to 46348, and UI loads instantly.
Should've known. 3.6 was still a POS, it now gets a pass from me until 3.6.1, good day.