3.5.x Beta

TylerW

May be coincidence, but since installing 46590 I'm seeing massively reduced download speeds, and much longer wait times to get file lists from magnets. I'll try some other files and see if it is just those downloads, or perhaps a wider issue (for me, at least). One download allegedly has over 1400 seeds and over 900 peers, but I'm unable to connect.

I skipped several updates, coming to 46590 from a 3.5 beta build.

Edited by gjm

3.6 build 46590.

Running on my laptop. Leave it running and eventually battery level gets low enough to shut down.

Power up, start uTorrent, and the torrents are *gone*. There are zero torrents. Not active, inactive, or anything. Gone.

Go to the install directory and the part-downloaded file is there, as is the torrent file. Open the torrent file and it identifies that there is a part-download, loads it, checks it, and carries on.

*Never* seen this kind of activity before.

Upon reading the change history for 3.6.0 it says:

-- Released chromium edge embedded webview support

Is that a ref to "MicrosoftEdgeWebView2", or is it a REPLACEMENT for the WebView2?   The switch to Webview2 occured back in 3.5.5 a month or so ago, so I'm a tad confused - can we uninstall webview2 when/if we [dare] move on to 3.6.0? 

I run W7 and do not have Edge, so it installed WebView2; if I don't really need it anymore I'd like to uninstall it.  [I did read that MS has plans to force-install it on all W10 and W11 boxes early in 2023, along with the forced-removal of all Internet Explorer remnants ...]

--

FWIW I have returned to vers 3.5.5.46552 and it continues to work well for me;  3.6.0.46590 seemed ok with just  1 or 2 jobs, but became more flaky as more jobs were added.

Thanks...

[OFF]

For all the faithful beta testers here, here is  a Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal you might not want to miss:

Lifetime VPN subscription for $10.20 <-link-> (for up to 5 devices) after using "BF15" code... Too good to be true?... Maybe who cares :)

Yes, a bit less known provider ( fastestVPN.com ) , probably less that the '10-best' , but if you need one for this price - it's a good deal... I am seeing 50-120Mbps speeds to 70ms away servers...

Edited by rafi

On 11/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, rafi said:

[OFF]

For all the faithful beta testers here, here is  a Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal you might not want to miss:

Lifetime VPN subscription for $10.20 (for up to 5 devices) after using "BF15" code... Too good to be true?... Maybe who cares :)

Yes, a bit less known provider ( fastestVPN.com ) , probably less that the '10-best' , but if you need one for this price - it's a good deal... I am seeing 50-120Mbps speeds to 70ms away servers...

The plan I see is called "Lifetime" but is actually 5 years + 3 months for $40.  Strange pricing.  I don't see that $10.20 offer anywhere, and the BF15 code did not work.  I hope it is legit.  It should bring down the prices of other VPNs.   It seems like the cost of internet, VPNs, and services such as Usenet are dropping.  I used to use Usenet a LOT before torrenting.. but Usenet became Useless when 99% of it's content was loaded with viruses. 

5 hours ago, joshace said:

I don't see that $10.20 offer anywhere, and the BF15 code did not work.

The link I posted (in blue)  should have pointed  you to that deal... - https://dealmirror.com/product/fastestvpn-lifetime-deal-5-devices/

See checkout result: https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEH4QP6

That November's  "BlackFriday promotion" deal cannot really last for long, it can't be profitable to the VPN provider(s), if most of the users are using it...

Edited by rafi

1 hour ago, rafi said:

The link I posted (in blue)  should have pointed  you to that deal... - https://dealmirror.com/product/fastestvpn-lifetime-deal-5-devices/

See checkout result: https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEH4QP6

That November's  "BlackFriday promotion" deal cannot really last for long, it can't be profitable to the VPN provider(s), if most of the users are using it...

I pulled the trigger on the deal a few mins ago and worked for me, was able to sign up with $10.20 lifetime deal always good to have a spare VPN. Crazy deal for 5x device for lifetime. Thanks Rafi! :D

1 hour ago, R2_D2 said:

I pulled the trigger on the deal a few mins ago and worked for me, was able to sign up with $10.20 lifetime deal always good to have a spare VPN. Crazy deal for 5x device for lifetime. Thanks Rafi! :D

Have fun :) Just don't use (yet) their v 3.1.1 apk for android from Google Playstore, it's buggy.... I downloaded the previous 3.0.8 version... Reminds me of the situation with uTorrent 3.6 vs 3.5.5 ...  ;)

BTW, they have quite large set of guides here - https://support.fastestvpn.com/tutorials/

Edited by rafi

13 minutes ago, rafi said:

Have fun :) Just don't use (yet) their v 3.0 apk for android from Google Playstore, it's buggy.... I downloaded the previous 2.3 version... Reminds me of the situation with uTorrent 3.6 vs 3.5.5 ...  ;)

BTW, they have quite large set of guides here - https://support.fastestvpn.com/tutorials/

Just started playing around of course I download the apk for my android phone and v3.1.1 does not work it opens when I try to connect I get an error FastestVPN closed because this app has a bug.

Windows app seems to work ok so far so good. Thanks for the tips.

2.3.0.20 (old, windows) : https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/FastestVPN-0dda148677080bd2ebff0062a1d7ea72-application.htm

I see they have now a new update 3.1.2 APK released yesterday... :  https://m.apkpure.com/fastestvpn-best-privacy-tool/com.vpn.fastestvpnservice/versions

Maybe they've fixed the bug with it ... try it out :)

Edited by rafi

9 minutes ago, gjm said:

OK - how does a 'lifetime' deal work?

Company who sold it to you goes bust. Where's your VPN now? Same goes for the lifetime antivirus deals. Dr Solomon's was extremely highly rated and did have a lifetime option, but no longer exists.

It doesn't really, only for a short time promo-s..

• Like 1

...back to uT bug reports...

re:  build 46552

this bug has been around forever, but it bit me again today so I will report it now.

Two seperate torrent jobs, and by coincedence they have the same exact name.  This means they both end up using the same destination folder, and the two jobs' files end up intermingled.  Ugly, but not terrible, unless the two jobs have a filename element that is the same [say "info.txt"].   Then both jobs end up writting to the same file, corrupting each others work.  The job list doesn't "notice" the corruption until it tries to send a piece from the corrupt file, and then the receiver detects a hash-fail and eventually bans me.   If I stop the job and do a recheck it notices the file is bad and requeues the piece,  but then the other job's version of that file gets messed up, and on and on...

So,  I think each torrent job's destination folder shd be unique and if it is not then uT should warn or ensure that is is by adding a "(1)" or something, like windows typically does with name conflicts.

Thanks for listening...

• Like 1

I agree, but I think It's a very rare situation, javacatpaul, that two torrents (thus folders) will have the exact same name.

Regardless, it should be an easy fix, since they already do this check when you set/change the download destination. They just need to copy/do the same when creating a torrent... :)

Edited by rafi

ok, different day different issue; please help!

As of today, I can no longer add a torrent to uT.

I [stupidly?] did a windows update yesterday, on my W7 [esu] system.  All went fine. Now today I try to add a torrent and it fails - ut says "can't open torrent file...".  I can not see the torrent file inside the directory.  It is not hidden, it is smply not there.  if I try to add the torrent again it says "already loaded.."; but it is not there!   The only indication that it ever got added was the error line, _AND_ under LABELS is does show a HIDDEN label entry for the "bad" guy, BUT only after doing an exit/relaunch, it is not there until after the relaunch. .  I can remove that line and it appears to go away,  but try to add again and it still says "aleady loaded...".  The only way to recover is quit, delete the resume.dat files and relaunch, and then do a manual "Add Torrent [and choose destination dir]" and hand feed it ALL of my  .torrent files, one at a time.  THIS SUCKS.

this happens if I use a Mag link, a .torrent download, or just paste just the torrent ID number alone into the ctl-u dialog [my normal method].   what's happening here??

Did W7 update change some low level shit?  arg...

anyone else experienceing this?

Why is there a hidden lable at all, and how do I eliminate that?  weird...

thanks...

oh yeah, running build 46552, been fine for weeks

----

the only way I've been able to get success is the following:

1)  dl the .torrent file to a temp directory via rt-click "save link as..."; do NOT just click and let the click-thru send it to uT.

2) go to uT and choose Add Torrent [choose save dir] and point to saved .torrent file.

3) it adds just fine.

---

could this be a browser update issue?  I did update FF to 108 the other day, but it [seemed] to work ok after that, not sure if I dl'd a tor since then.

seems like a browser-to-ut handoff issue??

That doesn't make sense, cause it does it even if I just paste the torrent id number and nothing else into the ctl-u dialog, there is no browser hand off there at all...

arg...

Edited by javacatpaul

Ok, I just don't know what T**F** happened, but I seemed to have fixed it.

1) I tried doing a Sys Restore back to before yesterday's updates, no diff at all!   So, not Win Update's fault?

2) I undid the above, returning back to this morning's state. I  double checked uT again, yeah still bad as expected.

3) I did a "rt-click remove" all torrents from the jobs list, exited and  restarted to be sure all was cleared, it was.  exited again and a) renamed my TOR folder to TOR_old and made a new TOR folder, empty.  I deleted all resume.* and *.old files, renamed settings.dat to bad_settings.dat and then restored settings.dat from one I saved 2 days ago.

Bingo, all good again.

So...my settings.dat got clobbered?  hum...did the .resumes get clobbered?  It does seem the resume did have the entry for the "unable to open" file, even tho it was bad - that shd be fixed dev's..

I did save the "bad" one, I wish there was a way to do a diff on them and see what entry is causing this.  Any sugestions? I may try two instances of BEncode.exe side by side and do a visual compare...

Thanks for listening...

[maybe time to think about building a new W10 box...]

MY ADVICE  TO ALL -- if you are not already doing it you should be saving copies of your settings.dat file on a regular basis, they sure do come in handy!!!!

Edited by javacatpaul