error:the process cannot access the file

simko

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suggestion

If you are trying to find out what program is attemping or blocking access to the torrent. Download Filemon from System Internals http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

Then exclude utorrent and include the path to the torrent download

Once the error occurs, go back and search on path or process.

for example

include D:\Vid\*

exclude utorrent

ps. mine was google desktop... @#$!#@$

I have been having this error. I have used the Unlocker program that another thread said helped. I tried it, didn't work. Also, Unlocker shows what processes are using the file/folder. For me it was explorer.exe. I was using Windows explorer at the time and so I thought I should try with just the regular My Computer to browse the folder. I am trying to use the new beta uT to see if it helps. Also, the torrent some times comes up with an error like a piece of the torrent is missing. I don't know what that is all about though. It only happens like after the Access Denied error comes up 4-5 times.

• 3 weeks later...

After first installing uTorrent, I had this problem after accidentally double-clicking, or opening, a file actively being downloaded within uTorrent (it was a huge, incomplete ISO, and I never got a "open with" or other application startup). I thought at the time I might get a "properties" window or something. No amount of restarting, killing other windows, killing any folder views, AV shutdown, restarting uTorrent, checking for duplicate processes, turning on popups, etc. affected this. Only restarting Win2K fixed it. And that totally fixed it. I don't have Google desktop. I do have the browser toolbar. I've never had problems with other p2p programs.

It looks like uTorrent is sometimes locking itself out of it's own files.

• 10 months later...

yea i did kill both the processes but im thinking i will have to do that evertime i restart my pc :/

its working for the moment

unfortunately when im at home my dad pays for aol (he dont live here) so i cant complain too much, miss my uni net!

cheers i had worked that out myself when i researched the aolsoftware.exe isnt a critical process

i just think its weird its accessing the file !

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on this error all day now with no success (i tried the FAQ, nothin worked). I used the file monitor program, and right before the error pops up there's 2 entries within 5 seconds of each other. Some process called "System:4" does the request "IRP_MJ_CLOSE" with success. The monitor doesn't have anything to say about it, under path it just says "Process is not accessible" and for user it says User: <access denied>

Any ideas?

I had this same problem. Certain files would error on me and I would have to restart. I do not have google bar loaded on my computer, so I looked for what esle could be causing it.

I found the culprit. I have Roxio Easy Media installed on my computer. I recently ubdated it, and that was when I started having the problems. It has software in it that watches folders and such. I went into my Windows Task Manger and shut off everything that said Roxio. There were things running that I didnt even know. (tray watcher, etc.)

Turned utorrent on and the problem files downloaded. Everything is good. I hope this helps.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 98.46

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4

smss.exe 876 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 948 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 992 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 1036 1.54 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1196 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

wmiprvse.exe 2704 WMI Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1276 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

WinStylerThemeSvc.exe 1288 TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service TuneUp Software GmbH

svchost.exe 1472 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

EvtEng.exe 1508 EvtEng Module Intel Corporation

S24EvMon.exe 1556 Event Monitor - Supports driver extensions to NIC Driver for wireless adapters. Intel Corporation

WLKEEPER.exe 1648 WLKEEPER Intel® Corporation

svchost.exe 1816 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 176 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 588 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

NicConfigSvc.exe 1616 Internal Network Card Power Management Service Dell Inc.

nvsvc32.exe 1712 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 91.31 NVIDIA Corporation

RegSrvc.exe 1976 RegSrvc Module Intel Corporation

svchost.exe 348 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

iPodService.exe 3132 iPodService Module Apple Computer, Inc.

alg.exe 3208 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 2604 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 1048 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

ZCfgSvc.exe 1860 ZeroCfgSvc MFC Application Intel Corporation

explorer2.exe 220 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

Apoint.exe 784 Alps Pointing-device Driver Alps Electric Co., Ltd.

hidfind.exe 1736 Alps Pointing-device Driver Alps Electric Co., Ltd.

iFrmewrk.exe 796 Intel Framework MFC Application Intel Corporation

quickset.exe 824 QuickSet Dell Inc

rundll32.exe 920 Run a DLL as an App Microsoft Corporation

CTSysVol.exe 924 CTSysVol.exe Creative Technology Ltd

jusched.exe 1104 Java 2 Platform Standard Edition binary Sun Microsystems, Inc.

iTunesHelper.exe 1164 iTunesHelper Module Apple Computer, Inc.

CTHELPER.EXE 1376 CtHelper Application Creative Technology Ltd

MemOptimizer.exe 1404 TuneUp MemOptimizer TuneUp Software GmbH

ctfmon.exe 1672 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

SetPoint.exe 1916 Logitech SetPoint Event Manager Logitech Inc.

KHALMNPR.EXE 400 Logitech KHAL Main Process Logitech Inc.

GoogleWebAccWarden.exe 292

GoogleWebAccClient.exe 2320

daemon.exe 3660 Virtual DAEMON Manager DT Soft Ltd.

WINWORD.EXE 1540 Microsoft Word Microsoft Corporation

firefox.exe 2428 Firefox Mozilla Corporation

procexp.exe 2160 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

ApntEx.exe 1780 Alps Pointing-device Driver for Windows NT/2000/XP Alps Electric Co., Ltd.

• 1 month later...

I had the sme problem of "error: the process can not access the file for every file. Tried mutliple reboot,s uninstall reinstall. I then remembered I just installed a new version of WinZIP and a new version or Roxio. I turned off the WinZip quickfind from systray icon and Roxio disc watch icons in sys tray now it all works again. So one of these programs were locking the files. So Try looking at any recently updated or installed programs.

• 2 weeks later...

This might help narrow down the issue. You guys can use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to Monitor what is accessing files in your torrent directory.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

You want to create a filter that will include anything that begins with your path. My torrent directory is C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Downloads\ so the filter would be

Path begins with C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Downloads\ then include.

So only processes that touch any directory or file that begins with the path you specified will show up. Should help narrow down the processes.

• 4 months later...

I've had this problem, and I think that I've found a way to fix it.

Now I've disabled flush files, and that worked for a bit, but the problem kept coming back. I also excluded my torrent folder from my VirusScanner's index, but that didn't work either. I didn't have thumbnails turned on, or 2 utorrent.exes in Task Manager.

If you click on the link below, it'll show you that I turned off 'Indexing Service', whatever that is. That's seemed to have sorted the problem for me.

torrentey1.th.png

Thought you all might like to know, see if this works for anyone else.

Archived