error:the process cannot access the file

simko

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im still having problems and got a few questions please...

I switched indexing off a few things like the root download file itself (including all files inside) and google desktop and now it only does it evry 5 minutes instead of every 5 seconds.

I installed the above program (unlocker) and it find it locked by nothing?

"no locking handle found"

It just says the above and asks if i want to delete rename or move the folder.....

Ive tried everything else: flush files-false, turning off thumnails, closing google desktop after switching off indexing...should i switch off indexing on the whole c:/ drive? what affect will this have? (i do like vistas fast searching, but not if i havent got anything new to search for!) :)

Can sumone reccomend another bitorrent program that works with vista?

(ive tried area/azerus and had the same problems)

In doing everything the unlocker says to stop this i switched off UAC...shoudl i turn it back on?

My pc came with roxia installed onit but surely if roxia was blocking it it would say in unlocker right? plus theres no option for indexing in roxios options and no uninstall option for roxio? (which i dont want do anyway)

Maybe unlocker doesnt work well with vista?

My last point quickly is noone seems to have mentioned is some files download fine, ive had whole films and albums donwload but recently it seems more and more stuff cant download, maybe its not our settings its something to do with the torrent them selves? Sumone hacking into the ques maybe? The other process its being used by could just be someone else surely, unless utorrent has intuitive error messages?

• 2 weeks later...

Seagate has backup software that works in the background. Software product is called memeo. You cannot run the external backup drive and uTorrent at the same time. You can let Memeo run but do not update your external drive - keep it disconnected or list your downloads folder as an exclusion in the advanced options of Memeo.

Caught this using process minder. With process explorer I suspended the Memeo process and my download speeds increased and the process cannot access stopped.

• 5 weeks later...

another problem is when you have a P2P client running ( i use shareaza ) and downloading to the same folder as utorrent when i closed shareaza the problem stopped. So i think that maybe people are trying to download from your download folder which is actually your shared folder, in some P2P clients it actually doesnt tell you what or when people are downloading from you... but that jus what i think

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

zuhairmahd's suggestion of downloading to a secondary drive is the only thing that worked for me. I tried everything else suggested and continued to get the error message. I just changed my download location from my hard drive to an external hard drive and it is working fine now.

I have had this problem until a couple of minutes ago, when I did the following two things:

1: Uncheck the Indexing Service from the Folder where my downloads are being saved.

2: Close Google Desktop Application

I will try to determine which of these two possible causes is generating the exception.

I hope this will be usefull for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

craic? listen i was like the rest the rest of you guys gettin all the error garbage everytime i went to download anything. having previously tried everything that has been suggested on this site (with absolutely no success), i reluctantly decided to remove everything with roxio in the title from my computer. i did this simply from the add/remove software option in the control panel. since then i've had no problems and the downloads are flying in. i think now that its the only option that'll work.

• 1 month later...

HERE IS YOUR SOLUTION:

In Utorrent: Options > Preferences > Download > Other Settings > Check Append .!ut to incomplete files

This will solve the problem because Utorrent will change the file extension of the torrent files in the process of being downloaded to .ut, and GDS will not index these files.

Once the files are fully downloaded, Utorrent will fix the file extension back to .avi or .zip or whatever the file is supposed to be.

... the problem lies in the fact that GDS is attempting to index the files in the process of being downloaded, which my post fully solves

HOLLA

• 2 months later...

Ok..

I FINALLY got it.

as everybody has said.. it's indexing.. and since I was only having the issue with MP3 downloads, I knew it had to be media indexing specifically -

This was reinforced by having nothing happen at all, when I disabled Google and lots of the other stuff suggested.

Sure enough. DELL auto-installed a little media managing / playing device on my computer - I never use it.. it wouldn't let me turn off the "watch" on my uTorrent folder - so I told it to stop watching everything.. and bingo... no more problems

thought it might help somebody - .. and I can keep google sidebar sitting there so long as the indexing is turned off .. sorted.

Stratus

• 1 month later...

Hi all, this is for all the people who got the "utorrent Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" while using Google Desktop.

I finally sorted it but appologize if someone has already posted a solution. The easiest way, to uninstall Google Desktop was not an option I wanted as I enjoy the Google Sidebar which requires GD to run. However, to solve the utorrent error problem, do as follows.

Open Google Desktop - select Options/Preferences.

On this page, scroll down to Search options.

Click on "Add file or folder to exclude" from searching

In the box that appears, enter the location of your utorrent download folder, this is the folder where completed downloads appear. Ensure to include the full path to this folder, drive, subfolders etc.

Now open up utorrent, select Options/Preferences

from the left pane, select downloads

the second box down should say "move completed downloads to" and should have the path to your finished downloads folder already inserted, the box should be checked.

If not, MAKE IT SO!

Now, above should be a box with dialogue that says "Put New Downloads In", it may or may not be checked and may or may not have an address path next to it.

The secret is to check the box, then copy and paste the address below (to your current download folder) into the box. THIS MAKES THE TEMP LOCATION OF FILES THE SAME AS THE FINISHED DOWNLOAD OF FILES. Thus, Google Desktop will not now interfere with EITHER, leaving utorrent completely alone when it indexes or searches.

Now, to finish off, in the section at the bottom that says Other Settings, Check the box that says "Append .!ut to incomplete files" and also the box that says "Preallocate Files"

This now means that when you search your utorrent Downloads folder you can tell the difference between incomplete and finished files, any file with an extension of .!ut is still in the process of downloading and should not be touched.

Away you go! I hope this helps from sunny Plymouth in England, All the best, Dj

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Azizty, glad everything sorted, as I didn't have Roxio installed that is probably why the fix worked for me, Roxio being an added interference for you. I have in the past tried Roxio and found it to be a bloody nuisance to put it mildly, I would never again put it near my puter.

Dj Benny

Some of the answers to this very annoying problem are SPOT ON. Others are guesses. I can tell you the fix that worked for me and why, so you can apply this to any other application that you have that might be doing the same thing.

IF YOU HAVE GOOGLE DESKTOP INSTALLLED ON YOUR COMPUTER, I am betting that this is the number one place to look for your solution.

I have a computer with 20 physical hard drives in it and some USB's.

ANY DRIVE FOR WHICH GOOGLE DESKTOP IS SET TO "INDEX" will trigger this problem!

If you have one hard drive or more the fix is the same.

Open GOOGLE DESKTOP and find the settings for INDEXING. THere is the option dialog box to select drives that you DO NOT WANT TO INDEX.

If you are downloaiding your files to say, "E:\Downloads", or "E:\", or "G:\ New Torrents" or whatever directory you have instructed UTorrent ( or any other torrent client to download to ), then simply do this::

Specify either the ENTIRE DRIVE or the DRIVE/DIRECTORY that you are downloading "TO" and tell GOODGE DESKTOP to EXCLUDE that directory from INDEXING!

Then save the changes if it prompts you to save, and REBOOT just to be sure!

WINDOWS also has an automatic INDEXING FEATURE. If this fix above does not eliminate it, GO to you WINDOWS settings, and find the INDEXING FEATURE and again TURN IT OFF.

If you have any "ther application"that does INDEXING, turn them off for the period you are downloading your torrents or turn them off altogether if you can live without the indexing feature.

It took me along time to find this solution and the INDEXING feature is what is causing any Torrent Client to flash that error, and cripple the download., as it conflicts with the TORRENT CLIENT.

Easy solution for those that wnat to basiclly keep INDEXING on ( like I do ), is to use ONE drive for your downloads that has INDEXING TURNED OFF, and after rhe files are downloaded simply move the COMPLETED files to any drive that IS INDEXED.:o...OCTAGONPEG@YAHOO.COM

Hi, if it helps I would just like to re-iterate that I NEVER encountered the problem until I installed Google desktop, and secondly, the fix worked for me and I am still running Google desktop, purely because I love Google Sidebar which I find far superior to Vista or thjoosie Sidebar,

Dj

• 2 months later...

Archived