error:the process cannot access the file

simko

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are some things that might be causing problems for those still having problems:

Do u have a defrag app with a set it n forget it/automatic defrag option?

Look in scheduled task in Win OS's to see what task are running or set to run.

Disable A/V and see if that helps (I know.....some have already mentioned that)

it might be a Windows service causing the problem. Dont know where to begin to tell u what to look for, tho. If curious, look here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Might be something in the Folders View option. Go to start/settings/control panel and click on Folder Options. Again, not sure what to look for. But one thing to try is "show hidden files and folders", since the C:\Documents and Settings\*ur username*\Application Data folder (which has uT settings folder in it) is hidden by default

Try an older version of uT. if it works when u do that, its some setting thats gotta be changed in the newer version.

Check ur anti-spyware appz for any real-time protection. It might cause problems like the anti-virus appz w/real-time scanning.

Go to start/programs/startup and see whats set to startup automatically everytime u start Windows

try right clicking on the folder the file is in, go to properties, customize. Where it says" What kind of folder u want?" set it to Documents.

try this too: http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/17764

For those using XP Pro, Win2K or WinServer Os's, its not so file-sharing friendly as XP Home. Changing some settings might solve the problem.

Its some app or service that casuing the problem. Pinpointing the cause is the hardest part. Think of ANY app or service that might need to access or update your folders. Or think of ANY app or service u have set to do an automatic job. Task Scheduler, for some insane reason, sets certain tasks to run automatically without our knowledge.

*All of this is assuming u use a Win OS.

Ok. Im done. lol

Wow, I just experienced this once last night (can't figure out why that time is different than any other since all pertinent aspects that I can figure are unchanged) and came here to look to see if anyone else has experienced it. Looks like they have.

I read through the thread with increasing amusement, figuring that surely over this much time someone would come to a conclusion and real solution, but alas no. I guess I'll disable disable diskio.flush now, even though that's not a sure solution.

Here's hoping that the next version of utorrent is robust in this area. It shouldn't be this sensitive. Never once, over a much longer period of time, have I seen such a thing happen with AZ.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fighting with this one for the last week, and I may have come across something that may help in resolving the issue. (Although i'm not sure what to do with the info myself).

I finally found a little util (File Monitor) and ran it while DLing my torrent and found that explorer.exe queries utorrent.exe at the exact time the DL stops and gives the "Process in use.." error. I have tested this quite a number of times and this is consistantly the point in which it stops. I have attached the part of the log that pertains to this. Hopefully this will help, and if not... well... ummm... errr... I hope you have enjoyed reading yet another useless post.

explorer.exe:1524 QUERY INFORMATION D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS Attributes: A

explorer.exe:1524 OPEN D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS Options: Open Access: Execute

explorer.exe:1524 QUERY INFORMATION D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS Length: 109568

explorer.exe:1524 CLOSE D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS

explorer.exe:1524 QUERY INFORMATION D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS Attributes: A

explorer.exe:1524 OPEN D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS Options: Open Access: Execute

explorer.exe:1524 QUERY INFORMATION D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS Length: 109568

explorer.exe:1524 CLOSE D:\Apps\Utorrent\utorrent.exe SUCCESS

http://utorrent.com/faq.php#I_get_Error_Access_Denied_and_.C2.B5Torrent_halts_the_torrent

been there for a few days now :D

I added a section about software that gives problems with µT, it's at the top of the FAQ

:rolleyes: Ops. Sorry.

I would never have thought to look there.

But still you didnt really get it right, its:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

• 3 weeks later...

I furst started facing this problem with Azureus. And yes, it did seem to start after having installed Google Desktop. That is when i shifted to Utorrent and it was running fine for 2 days before it started showing the same error. So its not just with Utorrent.

Can someone tell me where i can find the deskio flush files ?

tried all of the above hints - no AV indexing diskeeper GD and no DHT - but still getting the message - Since altering deskio flush setting - Jibba was right - keep hitting start - it only asks for a recheck occasionally - I am getting the torrent to continue - BUT the automated process has crumbled into manual operation :(

Thankyou Firon for directing me to the faq item - I am most impressed at the prompt response one gets here :) yes I had tried all of this - however I have noticed that this torrent ( 900 meg mp3 and jpg) has 3 particular pieces that figure everytime the force check is required - these three pieces give hash errors and never seem to complete (so far)

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#I_get_tons_of_hashfails_on_my_torrents_and_the_torrent_never_finishes

Is this what happens?

And were you ever able to get rid of "error:the process cannot access the file"? You may want to try installing Unlocker, and trying to unlock the files (select, right click -> Unlocker, you can select directories and multiple files) so you can see WHAT process is locking them.

unlocker7yj.gif

no mate - dmz isnt on - thanks for the suggestion

The locking is transitory and when I run the unlocker - the lock is already cleared (if there was one?)

- BUT

having nothing to lose - I d/l latest beta - it is better (excuse pun)

it is still having the pauses - but the difficult pieces have come down and its a much longer time between restarts

update

now the difficult 3 pieces have passed - no more pauses - touch wood

I dunno what you changed but thanks - it is deffo for the greater good :)

Johnno

Firon

Yes

Problem been happening for a week - was being bloody minded and only running the one torent to the one directory - which is what unlocker showed - just the one process user for the files

As above - your new beta rocks :)

Johnno - happy camper

• 2 weeks later...

I have Google Desktop as well while getting the "Error:the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error. Also, an search using Google Desktop, does show that that the newly created file from µTorrent has been indexed.

Archived