IP Ban?

Jay

You can, if you use ipfilter.dat.

You don't necessarily have to download the official one, just create a txt-file and rename it to ipfilter.dat. Enter the IP address like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

And there are tons of topics about ipfilter.dat, so just search for it if you have troubles getting it to work.

Not possible.... besides violates the BT principle imho

Not when someone else is already violating that principle. I've seen lots of IP ranges that always send out bad data, and trace to some advertising firm or something. HBO, for instance, is poisoning torrents of its shows.

I would love to see a feature in uTorrent that would allow editing the ipfilter.dat inside the interface by right-clicking peers and being able to create ranges and automatically add them to your ipfilter.dat.

-Ares

You can, if you use ipfilter.dat.

You don't necessarily have to download the official one, just create a txt-file and rename it to ipfilter.dat. Enter the IP address like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

And there are tons of topics about ipfilter.dat, so just search for it if you have troubles getting it to work.

Hello,

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge here, but how do I exactly get this to work to ban an IP with µtorrent. A lot of articles are very vague on this topic. Where is the official one to download if there is one here. Thanks,

Snoppy1966

Hello again,

I downloaded PG2 and I added an IP address and I tried to add more but it does not add it to the list when I save. So if I understand what you wrote, it will not read the list until µtorrent starts again? I added the first one while µtorrent was running so why does it not allow me to add more?

Thanks

PG2 will allow you to add ips anytime. µTorrent you have to add the ips whilst the program isnt running making it pretty much useless if u wish to add ips to it whilst ur downloading.

I would love to see a feature in uTorrent that would allow editing the ipfilter.dat inside the interface by right-clicking peers and being able to create ranges and automatically add them to your ipfilter.dat.

this would be a great feautre but the chances of this happening are slim to none as this would be just the same as just right clicking on an ip and clicking ban, and unfortunately it seems that the devs have dismissed that idea completely.

Did you forget to press enter after entering the IP-Range before you saved it?

I just tried...I could add them , save them..and when I re-opened the list to add more, they were still present (as they should)

OK...let's do it step by step:

create a file (it could just be empty) and name it something like block.txt (or whatever you want)

in PG2 go to Listmanager, ADD and have the file importet

now click on open and then on add to enter IPs or IP-Ranges

enter a description in the first field (which is named Range...quite inappropriate I think)

press ENTER

in the 2nd Field you give the starting IP and press ENTER

in the 3rd field you give the end-IP (or if you only ban 1 IP you make end the same as start) andpress ENTER

When you're done you press SAVE and as soon as you leave the Listmanager the new IPs are read in and made aktive

is that any clearer to you now?

-DG

Thanks that makes perfect sense now. But now when I go to enter the end IP PG2 crashes on me. I will try again. It crashed on me three times now :( Edit. I forgot to name it something in the Range part. Now it worked. I am a dummy I guess, but not to much! :)

Also I was reading about icons for µtorrent. I do not remeber it asking me when I fist ran it if I wanted an icon or anything like that. Do I just create a shortcut now from the .exe file. And how do I get the .png files to work that I have saved here? I am running Windows XP. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it working now :D

If you want to change the Icons name them "main.ico" and "tray.ico" and put them in %appdata%/utorrent (that's usually C:\Documents and Settings\<Loginname>\Application Data\uTorrent\)

Whenever you'd like to change the "toolbar.bmp" and the "tstatus.bmp" they have to go here too

IMHO PNGs need to be converted into ICO every freeware icon-editor should be able to do that for you...just use the search button here

-DG

• 2 months later...

Im a member of a ratio torent site. Now If thats not In the spirit of torrent, I dunno what Is

Anyway, I just logged on to find out how to ban someone from our network.

I must say, I agree TOTALLY with Animorc.

If someone Is abusing the system, they deserve to be kicked off, so why not have a ban function.

Peerguardian2 Is a great program, but personally, the less stuff I have running In the background, the better I like it.

Cheers

mine doen't work either, and would love a solution.

i don't like to use again another different program for that function.

why don't you simply make it work?

this way you will have all the same functions as azureus but better.

untill µtorrent does not support it i will use azureus for uploading.

and hurt the swarm as a whole.

That is exactly what hit & runners do. i use it to ban them because they don't share.

i use µtorrent only on members sites, not on public torrentsites.

on most of them are about 10.000 members so you often see the same ones.

only retarded people wright down stupid answers before they think.

even give stupid links to try and help someone one who knows that allready.

if retarded people read all questions and answers in a topic they would know that.

oh no, they don't because they are to stupid to read properly.

So thank you firon for that answer, now i know exactly what idiots are working for µtorrent.

Archived