Forced download icon

Subb

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if this feature messes up skins then deal with it. the artists on this forum create skins and share them, and i'll be the first to thank them. but i think features should be supported or opposed based on their usefulness to the end users, not on the trouble they may cause for skin developers. creating skins is a voluntary act and a privilege that ludde has coded into µtorrent, and if two extra icons will cause too much work, then don't make a skin.

edit: i read this over and i think i come across as a bit harsh, so i just want to make sure everyone knows not to take this personally or anything. i use skins as well, and my favorite tstatus iconset will be broken by this feature as well, but i think the usefulness of this feature is worth that.

+1

With that, the Status bar becomes redundant, which is good for power users who have learnt the icons and turn status off. I get rid of it for more horizontal real estate; right now I check between regualr and forced by right clicking and see what option is ghosted.

The suggested method in this suggestion doesn't seem right, but I would like an alternate icon, the skins will catch up I'm sure; especially with a sufficient beta period before a release. The only downside is that the transition could be really confusing if no icon showed up at all with an incompatible skin.

Some other method of quickly indicating a forced download would work too, it doesn't have to be an icon, but that's easiest.

Edit - On a semi related note, what about an option on whether to show the icon or not for those who prefer the status column?

Having the current status column sort downloading [F] together accomplishes the organization you seek. Then as stated earlier, moving the [F] to the front to makethe string read [F] downloading would help with getting rid of the clutter cuz you could narrow the column all the way down.

Either way you look at it, is getting rid of that tiny amt of clutter worth the extra work when there are so many other features to develop/improve that have more of an impact?

Either way you look at it, is getting rid of that tiny amt of clutter worth the extra work when there are so many other features to develop/improve that have more of an impact?

no one said this was going to be an important feature, just to include it. i think it's understood that this will go on the end of the todo list unless ludde takes a fancy to it.

and it just occured to me that if the [F] is moved to the front of the status column, to differentiate between forced downloading and forced seeding you'd have to narrow the column to read "[F] D.." or "[F] U..", which is ugly. Or you could narrow it so it just shows the [F]. How would you tell the difference then? By using the tstatus icon. :lol:

Having the current status column sort downloading [F] together accomplishes the organization you seek. Then as stated earlier, moving the [F] to the front to makethe string read [F] downloading would help with getting rid of the clutter cuz you could narrow the column all the way down.

This is a whole new feature request, you can request it. Looks nice to me.

He doesn't know which other important features are queued in ut development, he is just asking a feature that he wants.

I found his and yours request usefull. Let the developer decide which feature is more important. We users, just want to contribute.

I have designed icons ever since the release of µTorrent, and I can tell you it's very annoying to go back to all your submissions and add 2 icons. I did it for queued icons, and now I'm currently doing it for RSS.

Saying "it's only a 'F' in the icon" etc doesn't properly represent the work involved. The forced "concept" needs to be expressed in the style of each icon set. For example, for CSS where the primary icon differential is color, I would have to translate "forced" to fix that scheme. It's alot of thinking work in addition to pixel work.

31 sets x 2 new icons = 62 new icons for sets that I have already released.

Again, the icons that aren't officially supported should have no weight in this matter.

And as a side note, I'm a graphic designer myself and yes, making 62 new icons for previously released sets would be a pain in the ass. It's the same with every piece of software that has some kind of skin support though. And I don't see firefox halting it's developement because skinners may or may not update their sets everytime a new FF is out.

Sure, they won't stop developing µTorrent, but that's not the point. :P To make such a relatively minor change (move the [F] to the front) is better than needlessly creating more/extra work for the skinners, don't you think? :/

1c3d0g, I think you should create another feature request for adding that '[F]', just to make thinks clear.

That way, subb has his feature request, and you have your feature request. The two request are very different things.

I have designed icons ever since the release of µTorrent, and I can tell you it's very annoying to go back to all your submissions ...

If you released too many sets, thats because you can maintain all of them.

Going on-topic now, if people are against copying and pasting and then passting that litle red triangle 62 times, then I may suggest to overlap a little red triangle on top of the existing icon.

That way, you only need to add 1 more icon to the icon set and let the hard work for ludde.

BTW, I don't ever used a skin ;)

@StoicJester,

my fault I readed wrong, there are not 31 states, thanks.

@oliversl: It's not about copying and pasting a red triangle or whatever. Determination said himself (and it's exactly what I was thinking when this feature was first proposed) that he might have to redesign an entire forced icon, depending on the theme. Meaning it might be 62 NEW icons, not just 62 MODIFIED old icons, which is obviously a big pain. Sure, Determination can maintain all the icon sets (I believe in his determination ;P), but by adding the two new icons it, it semi-alienates the people who have already contributed, and puts a lot more stress on them. In the end (as usual), it's all ludde's choice, but it has to be understood that these people have made contributions to µTorrent, and their opinion and difficulties have to have at least some force behind the decision.

The [F] at the beggining of the status colum still requires the status column to be on, and the icon and the [F] take more space than just an icon or just a status column. I think the spirit of the post was to not have the status column at all on the interface, since it's barely useful at the moment, and could be eliminated all together with the change.

Archived